Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

Single mom of 5 from R.I.

Hello all!!! I'm glad I found you guys! I'm a 37 y/o single mom of 5 great kids from the little state of Rhode Island (yes, it is it's own state, lol...we are not in Long Island ) My children and I recently traded in our handy dandy pop-up camper for a 23 ft travel trailer (Jayco Kiwi) I love this camper but am a bit intimidated by the size, lol...but will not let it win!!!! I towed my pop-up all over the place and have the same intentions with my Kiwi, we have a 2001 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 that we use to tow, and our 1st trip is planned for next we when we go to Hampton Beach in N.H....I hope all goes well. Everything in my camper works fine with the exception of the radio and a slight issue I'm having with my refrigerator...I had a new circuit board put in but it is still throwing a code...where abouts in here do I go to try and resolve this issue? Thank you all

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For your question just scale down to RV systems and appliances. Someone there will be able to help you out.

Glad you found the site. You'll find many great people here with a wealth of knowledge. When you have a problem as you just did just ask away. Of course if you have some input on a topic please share as well. Hope you enjoy the new to you trailer as I'm sure you and the kids will. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!!!

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. As for towing the 23' vs. the popup, you already have the experience of towing and your TV will do just fine. You will actually see it parks better than the smaller trailer. Make sure you have a WDH and sway bar and braking system. Many different brands and models. You will do fine.

Happy Camping
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We're glad to have you! Have fun with your new camper

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bford1022 View Post
Hello all!!! I'm glad I found you guys! I'm a 37 y/o single mom of 5 great kids from the little state of Rhode Island (yes, it is it's own state, lol...we are not in Long Island ) My children and I recently traded in our handy dandy pop-up camper for a 23 ft travel trailer (Jayco Kiwi) I love this camper but am a bit intimidated by the size, lol...but will not let it win!!!! I towed my pop-up all over the place and have the same intentions with my Kiwi, we have a 2001 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 that we use to tow, and our 1st trip is planned for next we when we go to Hampton Beach in N.H....I hope all goes well. Everything in my camper works fine with the exception of the radio and a slight issue I'm having with my refrigerator...I had a new circuit board put in but it is still throwing a code...where abouts in here do I go to try and resolve this issue? Thank you all
Hi Bford......Welcome!!! Good place to ask all your questions...lots of good folks here...Your chance to make many memories with the kids...but i guess you already know that....In the forums some times we talk in tongue RV that is!! and as you read more you will start talking/thinking in RV tongue.....LoL....then you get more campfires and you become a senior member....Yes its contagious.. When you do not understand the acronyms...please ask.....Enjoy your memories...What fun this is!
Richard and Kaye
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #6

Thank you all for the well wishes, I know this camper is going to take some getting to know...there is more to learn..but I'm already one step ahead, I packed my own bearrings the other day ..Yay!!!! I'll try to keep up on the camping lingo..I'm sure I'll catch on quickly
Old 08-13-2011, 05:25 AM   #7

Bford, My hat off to you. That must be a little tough being a single of 5. Congrats to you jumping up to a 23' TT. Post some pics when you get a chance...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #8

We lived in Newport in little Rhodie a couple of times and yanked campers up to New Hampshire when our crew were young AND whenever the Black Flies were NOT hungry. Plenty of options as you well know I am sure, but we liked camping along the Saco River and on two occasions scored waterfront sites on Mt Desert Island on return runs.

I agree with the earlier post that I think you'll find backing the longer trailer easier rather than harder - it reacts more slowly than the short trailer. In any case, get out there and build campfires and memories and keep your crew outside instead of at the Mall.

Have fun, and check in here, there is a lot of information available and I think these guys have at one time or another solve every possible RV problem - except maybe "alien abduction" - that's a tough one.

I admire your independence
salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #9

I will post some pics, hopefully when we come back from N.H. John, it is slightly time consuming being a single mom of 5 ..it is a tough job but someone must do it right? lol..so why not me, lol...I work hard at the camping thing so I can keep my kids away from video games and technology even if it is a short while just a few times a year! My husband passed a few years back and I refuse for my kids and I to take it just sitting down, so that is basically when I decided on our pop-up. Plus it was something easy to start out with...my children range from 17 (he isn't really into hanging out with us, lol) to 8 so I still have many years to enjoy them I have heard that backing up the larger camper will be easier (thank goodness because it could take me sometimes up to a 1/2 hour to back up the pop-up, lol!!!!!!!!!!) But I'm nervous about not being able to see behind me through my rear view mirror, I bought my extended mirrors but still not being able to look out my back window...ugh! I like the Saco River area as well as Pemi River area, but this time we are going about 15 minutes from Hampton Beach because there is some Abraham Lincoln history up there that my 11 is just itching to see Oh and I must say I am already LOVING this site!!!! <3