Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Angry So new and no clue

We have absolutely have no idea how to use our recently purchased 1975 Minnie Winnie. The price was right and the miles were low so we jumped in and bought it.
It has all the manuals and guides, but they are confusing and appear to leave out several critical tasks, i.e. (1) It has an Onan 3kw generator, but no instructions on how to start it either remotely or locally. (2) Be sure to maintain your compressor to keep your water tank pressurized. I have no idea where either is located. (3) Can I plug in 120v appliances or am I doomed to a 12v system. (4) It has a "dual battery" system with a switch near the driver's head. That's great! I have one battery which starts the Dodge engine and the other is........ where, exactly? .... and what does the switch do?
I have numerous stupid questions like this. Are there any answers out there? Or is there an RV school I could attend?
gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
There are a lot of folks on this forum that should be able to help, unfortunately I'm not one of them. I have found that if you post a specific question or problem, somebody out there can usually help. Don't give up, there is help. If all else fails call the manufacture with your questions. I have found them more than willing to assist.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. You will enjoy your new adventure.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
there are many people at rv parks that are more than willing to help. go for a weekend and make some freinds. you will have fun.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #4

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You are at the right place. No one has all the answers but everyone has some information for you.

The generator most likely had a stand alone manual look her and click on the "Find a Manual" link. Cummins Onan

I found my house batteries under the entry way steps. Keep looking and keep asking questions and all of it will make sense, ONE DAY.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome Gaugeguy,
If I remember correctly, I had an early 70's truck camper that had a pressurized water system. What that means is that instead of a pump that pumps the water to the outlet, you pressurize the tank to 30 or 40 psi and that feeds the water. You will just have to open all the outside compartents and look, the water system should have a guage and what looks like the valve that you put air in your tire.
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Gaugeguy and Welcome to the Forum!

This old Winnie Brochure might help a bit:
http://media.gowinnebago.com/models/...Winnie-bro.pdf

Shows standard and optional equipment. Says you have 12v AND a 110v wiring so there should be some 110v outlets inside. Keep in mind they will only work when you are plugged into 110v "shore power".
On Class C motorhomes like yours, there are typically 2 batteries up front, under the hood. One for the engine/chassis and one for the coach/house. If you only see one battery, check for an empty battery tray. If you cannot find another battery or a spot for one then the switch could be that you just have one battery for both uses. If this is the case, it is a VERY bad idea as you could run down the battery while camping and not have enough juice to start the engine.

Hopefully, someone will come along who has a Winnie like yours and can shed more light on your questions.

Enjoy your "new" motohome!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
KIX

Go to Winnebagoind.com clik on Resources then clik on manuals & diagrams then clik on parts catalog then look at the bottom left of the page.......you should see a place to clik for Fiche Cards for Winnes of your vintage
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Great clues for the "clueless"

Thank you all thus far. It appears I have come to the right place. What a great bunch of folks!
This 1975 class C is in need of a lot of TLC, but it only has 49k miles and never a leak anywhere.
Unfortunately, it has been sitting for several years and that is the worst thing a person can do.
The previous owner discovered a chunk of plastic missing from the black water tank. So, he cut it out with a "Saws-all" and left it in pieces. The good part is that I was able to find the piece with all the critical data on it. $255.00 for a new tank, but it is a beginning.

Thank you all again!
gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote