Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #1

So new i dont have an RV yet

Hi, so new to the game, ex sailor looking for advice on which RV to buy. Just my wife and I and our dog ( maybe 2 cats also). Any advice on brands/size appreciated. Class A preferred.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
haha, welcome! Give us more than that tho... How much do you plan to travel? How much can you spend? What level of luxury do you like?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68
haha, welcome! Give us more than that tho... How much do you plan to travel? How much can you spend? What level of luxury do you like?
Hi, probably around 45-50k, luxury is not a huge issue. This would be for weekends and the occasional 1-2 week trips. This is to explore N. California, Sierras, Yosemite, Mendocino area and the lakes etc. I'd like to boondock but also concerned about the ability of the RV to access moderately rough roads. Any experience with that also appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #4

All depends what you are looking for. I like the older simple ones without all the dodades. I have a 86 Winnie 27 fter with a 454 chevy based. It has the sloped front and is self contained. I wanted the sloped front for less wind resistence and gas mileage. I paid $2800 tax plates included. Everything works in it and it isn't bad on gas...11mpg. It does have a newer 3-way frig which works great and it had a queen bed which I removed and put double twins in it's place. I'm very happy with it for what I paid, it runs very good for an older motorhome. The reason I went with chevy based is because chevy parts are easier to find and always cheaper then any other make. Plus most parts for other chevy based vehicles will fit. Like I said it's all in what you want and what you want to spend.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720
All depends what you are looking for. I like the older simple ones without all the dodades. I have a 86 Winnie 27 fter with a 454 chevy based. It has the sloped front and is self contained. I wanted the sloped front for less wind resistence and gas mileage. I paid $2800 tax plates included. Everything works in it and it isn't bad on gas...11mpg. It does have a newer 3-way frig which works great and it had a queen bed which I removed and put double twins in it's place. I'm very happy with it for what I paid, it runs very good for an older motorhome. The reason I went with chevy based is because chevy parts are easier to find and always cheaper then any other make. Plus most parts for other chevy based vehicles will fit. Like I said it's all in what you want and what you want to spend.
Great advice, I think I'm on your wavelength. I don't need self cleaning ovens and rocket launchers! It's basically a step or three up from camping I'm after. I'll research Chevy based rigs, is this just Winnebagos?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suggest renting a class C and finding out what you like and dislike about the floor layout, etc. before you buy an RV.
I don't know anybody who has ever bought just one RV. It takes a while to find the perfect rig.
The most important thing is your wife's opinion on the interior...

If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with above. Before dropping $50k, rent.. figure out what you need and don't need.

You can get a nice used Class-A, modern motor, $20k.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'd suggest renting a class C and finding out what you like and dislike about the floor layout, etc. before you buy an RV.
I don't know anybody who has ever bought just one RV. It takes a while to find the perfect rig.
The most important thing is your wife's opinion on the interior...

If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.
True! But I think I'm going to need to size of an A. I snore and lot's of separation might be crucial! Also, I like the idea of an all encompassing cabin, I don't like the cabover design.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelsRV View Post
Hi, so new to the game, ex sailor looking for advice on which RV to buy. Just my wife and I and our dog ( maybe 2 cats also). Any advice on brands/size appreciated. Class A preferred.
get rid of the cats
Old 05-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelsRV View Post
True! But I think I'm going to need to size of an A. I snore and lot's of separation might be crucial! Also, I like the idea of an all encompassing cabin, I don't like the cabover design.

I've noticed alot of the overcab class c's start to droop from the weight of people and things stored up there. Alot of the ones seem to start leaking after they droop. As for the chevy based, there are all different makes of motorhomes made with the chevy based from class c to a. Winnebago makes Ford and Chevy and I think some older ones were Dodge too. I had alot of electrical problems with Ford stuff and like I said Chevy parts are cheaper and easy to find. I also don't like the newer straight frontends because of the motor working harder to push through the air. I read somewhere about how much horsepower it takes at certain speeds with the flat frontends. I think I searched for improving gas mileage when I read it.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #11

Welcome NigelsRV! We have a tt, so i can't provide any advice on choosing your mh. Just wanted to say "hello" and wish you luck! I know you'll get lots of good advice here!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take your time and shop around. With the budget you indicate there should be alot of motorhomes out there to fit your needs. Class A motorhomes can be rented as well. You might best try one first and see what you think. May not have the exact floorplan you like but at least you'll get the jist of things. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi, welcome to IRV2. Good luck on your MH search.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #14

Welcome to the forum and happy travels,

Van.