Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
NigelsRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
So new i dont have an RV yet

Hi, so new to the game, ex sailor looking for advice on which RV to buy. Just my wife and I and our dog ( maybe 2 cats also). Any advice on brands/size appreciated. Class A preferred.
__________________

__________________
NigelsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Registered User


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,198
haha, welcome! Give us more than that tho... How much do you plan to travel? How much can you spend? What level of luxury do you like?
__________________

__________________
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
NigelsRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68
haha, welcome! Give us more than that tho... How much do you plan to travel? How much can you spend? What level of luxury do you like?
Hi, probably around 45-50k, luxury is not a huge issue. This would be for weekends and the occasional 1-2 week trips. This is to explore N. California, Sierras, Yosemite, Mendocino area and the lakes etc. I'd like to boondock but also concerned about the ability of the RV to access moderately rough roads. Any experience with that also appreciated.

Thanks!
__________________
NigelsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 336
All depends what you are looking for. I like the older simple ones without all the dodades. I have a 86 Winnie 27 fter with a 454 chevy based. It has the sloped front and is self contained. I wanted the sloped front for less wind resistence and gas mileage. I paid $2800 tax plates included. Everything works in it and it isn't bad on gas...11mpg. It does have a newer 3-way frig which works great and it had a queen bed which I removed and put double twins in it's place. I'm very happy with it for what I paid, it runs very good for an older motorhome. The reason I went with chevy based is because chevy parts are easier to find and always cheaper then any other make. Plus most parts for other chevy based vehicles will fit. Like I said it's all in what you want and what you want to spend.
__________________
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
NigelsRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720
All depends what you are looking for. I like the older simple ones without all the dodades. I have a 86 Winnie 27 fter with a 454 chevy based. It has the sloped front and is self contained. I wanted the sloped front for less wind resistence and gas mileage. I paid $2800 tax plates included. Everything works in it and it isn't bad on gas...11mpg. It does have a newer 3-way frig which works great and it had a queen bed which I removed and put double twins in it's place. I'm very happy with it for what I paid, it runs very good for an older motorhome. The reason I went with chevy based is because chevy parts are easier to find and always cheaper then any other make. Plus most parts for other chevy based vehicles will fit. Like I said it's all in what you want and what you want to spend.
Great advice, I think I'm on your wavelength. I don't need self cleaning ovens and rocket launchers! It's basically a step or three up from camping I'm after. I'll research Chevy based rigs, is this just Winnebagos?
__________________
NigelsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 5,911
I'd suggest renting a class C and finding out what you like and dislike about the floor layout, etc. before you buy an RV.
I don't know anybody who has ever bought just one RV. It takes a while to find the perfect rig.
The most important thing is your wife's opinion on the interior...

If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,885
Agree with above. Before dropping $50k, rent.. figure out what you need and don't need.

You can get a nice used Class-A, modern motor, $20k.
__________________
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
NigelsRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'd suggest renting a class C and finding out what you like and dislike about the floor layout, etc. before you buy an RV.
I don't know anybody who has ever bought just one RV. It takes a while to find the perfect rig.
The most important thing is your wife's opinion on the interior...

If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.
True! But I think I'm going to need to size of an A. I snore and lot's of separation might be crucial! Also, I like the idea of an all encompassing cabin, I don't like the cabover design.
__________________
NigelsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelsRV View Post
Hi, so new to the game, ex sailor looking for advice on which RV to buy. Just my wife and I and our dog ( maybe 2 cats also). Any advice on brands/size appreciated. Class A preferred.
get rid of the cats
__________________
mrtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelsRV View Post
True! But I think I'm going to need to size of an A. I snore and lot's of separation might be crucial! Also, I like the idea of an all encompassing cabin, I don't like the cabover design.

I've noticed alot of the overcab class c's start to droop from the weight of people and things stored up there. Alot of the ones seem to start leaking after they droop. As for the chevy based, there are all different makes of motorhomes made with the chevy based from class c to a. Winnebago makes Ford and Chevy and I think some older ones were Dodge too. I had alot of electrical problems with Ford stuff and like I said Chevy parts are cheaper and easy to find. I also don't like the newer straight frontends because of the motor working harder to push through the air. I read somewhere about how much horsepower it takes at certain speeds with the flat frontends. I think I searched for improving gas mileage when I read it.
__________________
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
Member
 
sherri330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 83
Welcome NigelsRV! We have a tt, so i can't provide any advice on choosing your mh. Just wanted to say "hello" and wish you luck! I know you'll get lots of good advice here!
__________________
Sherri2015 Ford F-250 Superduty with Powerstroke Diesel.
2016 Jayco Eagle 317 RLOK
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Steve N Sal's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,614
Take your time and shop around. With the budget you indicate there should be alot of motorhomes out there to fit your needs. Class A motorhomes can be rented as well. You might best try one first and see what you think. May not have the exact floorplan you like but at least you'll get the jist of things. JMHO
__________________
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Michigan (Winter For Now)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
bsirby's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,750
Hi, welcome to IRV2. Good luck on your MH search.
__________________
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and BooBoo our cat.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
cargovan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 402
Welcome to the forum and happy travels,

Van.
__________________

__________________
My website describes the conversion of my Dodge B-250 van into a small RV. I deal with a lot of woodworking, but hope to be quite specific on solar as well.
cargovanconversion.com
cargovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.