Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club

Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #16
Hola! (Amount of clean Spanish I remember exhausted)
You thinking of a trailer, pickup camper or a 4wd caravan?

Oh yea, welcome.

2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #17
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Wow, I feel like the welcome wagon has arrived!! I've been snooping around a bit but haven't found the cookies. So, where did ya all hid them??

I understand that there are RV shows that have all or allot of class A's.
Where do I go to find any that may be somewhat closeby.
St. Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
St. Gerard... Welcome to the fun... I read your original post of your goal to tour southern Mexico and Central America. If this is one of your primary considerations then read on.

Beyond the adventure aspect, which is ambitious but has certainly been successfully done by many before, my initial thought is that you need to carefully consider the best vehicle to undertake this adventure. Having traveled extensively in 3rd world countries, if you don't already possess some general survival skills you'll want to add that to your to-do list. Just my opinion, but you will definitely want to take a Class A off your list for a number of reasons or figure out how to get your hands on a different vehicle for the travels to Central America:
  • The roads are not like the US so be prepared to rattle and bump.
  • Class A's need a certain degree of attention and availability of parts and qualified mechanics will be a major challenge.
  • You'll almost certainly need to drag a toad which is more stuff to deal with.
  • ...and the #1 reason in my mind; a Class A gives the appearance of wealth and excess, definitely not a good idea in this part of the world. This is not the place to look like a million bucks.

If I were going to undertake this adventure I would be looking at a self contained, reliable and rugged vehicle that gives the appearance of Rambo. Something that will take plenty of punishment and that you can do a get away in if required. This is a real consideration, once you cross the border reality changes big time. here are quite a number of expedition-type vehicles out there; one that fits the bill well is Earth Roamer built in Denver. It is built on a heavy duty Ford truck chassis and is designed for this exact purpose. These category of vehicles are totally self-contained, spare parts probably accessible, there are not a ton of creature-comfort accessories to break, and they are somewhat intimidating looking helping just a little to keep the bad guys thinking twice (probably not, but a whole lot better that a Class A).

Good luck with your adventure planning!

Glenn & Mary
2000 Monaco Dynasty 34 York
Three Toads - 1997 Jeep TJ :: built for dirt
/ 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel :: built for comfort in the dirt / 1990 Miata :: built for fun
MandG-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #19
Hi and welcome!

I'm new at this as well and don't have an RV yet either. In doing my research to see about getting into RV'ing and which type of rig to go with I found this forum. It has been a wonderful source of information with a lot of great people willing to share their knowledge and experience. I am sure you will find answers to a lot of your questions here. All the best to you and you go through this very interesting process. Safe travels!!
Hopeful Future Entegra Coach Owner
BigTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #20
Thanks for the insights. Someday I need to find a good source to decide on the various mechanicals pro's and cons. ie Cat vs cummings, generators. chassis designs. etc...
St. Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #21
Jim & Toni
2013 Sportcoach 405FK
2012 Jeep Liberty
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
You're in the right place... can you tell ?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote