Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 02:48 AM   #1

So, the wife and I want an RV...

Hey all,

Thanks for having this forum for noobs like me. I participate in a Miata forum, as well as iboats and a Chaparral boat forum, so I’m familiar with the format and love the information that can be gained from the thoughtful exchange of information.

That being said, we have zero experience RV’ing.

We have been looking at Class C’s and something that can tow at least 7500 lbs. I own a track day company and we will be spending a lot of weekends hosting events at racetracks and it would be nice to wake up and be at the track. We have a good friend, who come to think of it is probably part of this forum who owns a Class A and it’s very nice, but for many reasons we seem to be drawn to Class C’s and I like a V-10 gas engine for ease of maintenance, etc... as I do most of my own wrenching.

Beyond that we are open to all suggestions and we’re planning to rent an RV in November for an event we’re hosting at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. We hope y’all can help us decide which way to go and I look forward to learning as much as I can from the community.

Thanks,

Phil
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 03:46 AM   #2

Phil-

Welcome to iRV2!

The "... something that can tow at least 7500 lbs" catches my eye. A late-model Ford E-450 series chassis is rated a maximum of 7,500 pounds. I'd be reluctant to tow at the maximum, and modifying the E-series to tow more than that I would not recommend.

If you want to tow beyond 7,500 pounds you should look at "Super C" coaches. They are Class C designs built on medium-duty truck chassis. You may have to give up the Ford V-10, though. Super Cs are more expensive than van-based Class Cs, but you would expect that.

Of the Super C manufacturers, I've noticed the Renegade and Dynamax mentioned often. Here is a link to a search of the rvtrader.com Web site for Renegade and Dynamax coaches that are 28 feet long or over. It will give you an idea on models and prices.

Here's a recent post from by an iRV2 user with a picture of a 2019 Super C he bought.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:20 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. W ith wanting to tow 7500 lbs. i think you are looking at a Super C if you are wanting to stay in the C class.

Good luck in the search and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the forum, Phil!

I have absolutely no advice to offer in reference to a Class C, just wanted to (1) make a comment, (2) offer a couple of suggestions and (3) say thank you.

The comment: Your plan to rent an RV is a good one. Besides giving you a feel for what it would be like using an RV for the purpose you intend (so intriguing!), you'll have a better idea as to what size might work best after you rent one.

A suggestion: If you're not in a rush to buy, try to get to one of the many large RV shows held across the country so you can spend some time poking around models from different manufacturers to find one that best fits your needs. It's much easier to compare RVs when they're in one location vs visiting many different dealers or shopping online. I don't know where you're located, but I can tell you from experience that the show in Hershey, PA, in September is a good one.

Another suggestion: Be sure to poke around on the Class C forum here at iRV2, and ask as many questions as you want. This is a great forum, frequented by many knowledgeable and helpful RVers - and now you're a part of it!

A word of thanks: My husband and I own a Chaparral, and he has never once mentioned the owners' forum. So, I'm thinking he's not aware of it, and I plan to pass that piece of info along to him. Thank you for mentioning it!

Good luck finding your new RV!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #5

Hi Phil,

Given that you intend to spend time at race tracks, you may be dry camping for the weekend or longer and this makes water and sewage tank capacity an important part of your specification. As a broad brush statement, I think that class A's have larger tanks than C's.

And, nice quote from Fangio. I wonder how many of the forum members know who he was?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Phil! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Better get busy, you've got a lot of tire kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote