Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #1

Howdy Folks, First off I'm not very computer savy and I don't know what I'm doing.We started out with a sleeping bags, then a pup tent, then an old pick up with cattle racks and a canvas tarp pulled over them(man I love the smell of canvas, brings back tons of childhood memories camping with my family)then a pop up, travel trailer, 5th wheel and in 2006 we bought a one owner 1987 Holiday Rambler Imperial, garaged with 11,000 miles. The couple waited too late to start traveling.We really like the MH style of camping. We are picking our 2008 newmar dsdp 4035 up the last week of June. We took several factory tours but after visting Newmar that clinched the nail for us.
About us!
Linda and I started dating in high school,she was 14 I was 16, dated 5 years and have been married 34 years. Two children.Been self employed since the beginning. Gen. Contractor. We have retired from work but stay very busy. Presently we are building an earthsheltered home here in Va.so when we want to follow the seasons we don't have to worry about frozen pipes etc. We also have an ole time band and travel up and down the east coast performing, we do lots of civil war era stuff. reeactments etc. Linda and I have hooked up
with some KOA so when we travel we can barter for camping by performing and selling our cd's.We won't be full timers as of now but want to be in the near future. I'llbe glad to answer any questions should they arise. I warned you that I didn't know what I'm doing! Sodbuster.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #2

Howdy Folks, First off I'm not very computer savy and I don't know what I'm doing.We started out with a sleeping bags, then a pup tent, then an old pick up with cattle racks and a canvas tarp pulled over them(man I love the smell of canvas, brings back tons of childhood memories camping with my family)then a pop up, travel trailer, 5th wheel and in 2006 we bought a one owner 1987 Holiday Rambler Imperial, garaged with 11,000 miles. The couple waited too late to start traveling.We really like the MH style of camping. We are picking our 2008 newmar dsdp 4035 up the last week of June. We took several factory tours but after visting Newmar that clinched the nail for us.
About us!
Linda and I started dating in high school,she was 14 I was 16, dated 5 years and have been married 34 years. Two children.Been self employed since the beginning. Gen. Contractor. We have retired from work but stay very busy. Presently we are building an earthsheltered home here in Va.so when we want to follow the seasons we don't have to worry about frozen pipes etc. We also have an ole time band and travel up and down the east coast performing, we do lots of civil war era stuff. reeactments etc. Linda and I have hooked up
with some KOA so when we travel we can barter for camping by performing and selling our cd's.We won't be full timers as of now but want to be in the near future. I'llbe glad to answer any questions should they arise. I warned you that I didn't know what I'm doing! Sodbuster.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome sodbuster to irv2.
Seems like you have everything down pretty pat your even getting a Newmar.
Many safe and happy times in your travels.
Give the Newmar forum a look you will have plenty of company with your DSDP.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
sodbuster, welcome to iRV2.com. we are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Congratulations on your new Newmar. I am sure you will enjoy it as much as you will this website. Good luck and if you have any questions, just ask.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:11 AM   #5

Thanks for repling, maybe our paths will cross in our travels.I know this has been asked over and over but I can't work this computer very well to pull up past discussion about aux. brakes. We have a 2006 Honda pilot we will tow but can't decide on the aux. brake system. Brake Buddy type or the cable system that works on the momentum of the tow vehicle. Also the break away system? Thanking You in advance. sodbuster
Old 05-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have you here on IRV2 sodbuster. Come back often and tell us of you adventures.

Ken
Old 05-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Randy if you go to "Find" just above you and type in brake buddy or tow brake sys you may get your answers I'll also send this post to the Newmar forum with people that have tows that can help you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum Sodbuster and congrat's on your new MH, nice choice. We look forward to your input. Enjoy.

Peter
Old 05-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #9

There are several basic "types" of toad braking systems.

The BrakeBuddy type which are "dead" pedal pushers,
The Unified Tow Brake UTB type which are vacuum assist pedal pullers,
The M&G engineering type which are air driven systems,
The momentum type mechanical cable systems,
and the I hope I don't get caught (by the law or insurance) type who have no toad brake.

Each has its good and not so good points. Each has an extremely emotional following.

Click for a very comprehensive review of the many toad braking products maintained by a chap over on RV.net.

Be aware that "proportional" and "progressive" are two very different terms and that "proportional" probably does not mean what you intuitively think it does (your intuition is actually what is called "progressive"). I believe only the UTB provides both of these capabilities. Note that the RV.net chap actually uses the term "proportional" to mean "progressive" but clearly states such in his definitions.

Do your homework, asses your install skills, and determine the features most important to you.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:15 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

HERE is another interesting read...

Using Coach Air as source...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #11

Sodbuster,

Welcome to IRV2 and the Newmar owner's forum. Congratulations on the new rig!

I use the brake buddy simply because it is easy. Eventually I will probably upgrade to one of the coach air braking systems.

Enjoy the forums.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I use the M&G air brake system. I first used it with my Monaco Dynasty and now with my DSDP. I tow a Jeep Wrangler (about 3400 lbs).I live in the west and travel in mountainous areas. I have also gone to British Columbia, Alberta and to the east coast. The braking system has not been a problem at all, is easy to hook up and un-hook (about 3 minutes) also had the break away system installed. Good luck in your research.
Ronnie

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote