Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #1

Is anyone familar with Progressive Industries products? I'm looking for a good surge protector and their EMS model PT50C looks like it is more "user friendly" than the TRS models sold at Camping World, but it's pricer ($439.) I like the fact that it gives a constant readout and easy to read error codes. Ron & Martha in a 2005 Dutch Star w/ a 4Runner Toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #2

Is anyone familar with Progressive Industries products? I'm looking for a good surge protector and their EMS model PT50C looks like it is more "user friendly" than the TRS models sold at Camping World, but it's pricer ($439.) I like the fact that it gives a constant readout and easy to read error codes. Ron & Martha in a 2005 Dutch Star w/ a 4Runner Toad.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ron and Martha, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I have had our 50 amp "Surge Guard" on line for about four years now and I know of two instances that it has saved all of our electronics and possibly more. I would have to do some homework on the Progressive Industries model you mention but is sounds like it is an Energy Managment System and may very well have surge protection as part of the package. If I get time this weekend I will see if I can pull up some info on it and get back to you. I highly recommend the Surge Guard brand but I am sure they have some good competitors out there too. Let me see what I can find out. Again we are glad to have you here; enjoy!

Ron, I just went to Progressive Industries website and look at the model you asked about. It looks like it does the same thing as the TRS model with the addition of scrolling readouts. The only thing that is confusing is that they need to reword the 220 volt issue as on 50 amp shore power you do have 220 volts measured leg to leg. I think that they intend to state that if the voltage were to be 220 volt leg to neutral then it would interupt the circuit. I think that either TRS or Progressive surge protection are an essential piece of equipment that all heavily electronic laden coaches need. Hopefully one of our other memebers that have or are using the Progessive model will help you some more. Good luck and stay safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #4

Mike,
Thanks for the reply! I had a hard-wired TRS on my 02 Adventurer (workhorse w/8.1 L) and it worked fine. I guess I should have taken it with me, but didn't. A couple of days ago, we returned to our son's property. He had a new hookup for us. He "hid" it in a container just below ground level. He took the female end of a 50 amp pig tail and direct wired it to #6 wire coming from about 50 feet from the braker box. He figured it would be neater for us. I plugged in, fliped the breaker and my wife yelled for me to STOP! She saw smoke from the DVR area. Long story short, we fried our Tivo, a DirecTV receiver, our microwave/convection oven and a couple of smaller pieces!! We took the unit to our dealer for a checkout. Nothing else seemed harmed - so I immediately bought a surge protector! (Sort of like closing the barn door after the cows are out!)

I like the portable EMS and the constant scrolling readouts. Gives me a "warm fuzzy" that my stuff is OK. They also include a metal plate to put a lock on the unit. At $439 a pop, something like that could "grow legs!"

I"ve go a bunch of other questions, but will hold off and send them one at a time later.

Ron
Old 06-04-2006, 10:39 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Progressive Industries 50 amp Hardwire unit and I love it.

It protects me when I am hooked into a friends home on 20 amps and my wife turns on too many things. It will kick out the power because of low voltage, before it kicks the breaker in the house. When I connect, I can read exactly what the voltage is on each leg. It has a delay built in, that will protect you from letting the wrong voltage through to you system.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

HERE is a link to the Progressive Industries 50A portable unit as advertised on rvupgrades...

rvupgrades is an iRV2 sponsor....would love to support those that support this forum....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #7

I had the 50 amp Progressive EMS hard wired into my coach. It works as advertised and only allows power into my converter after it has determined that all is well with the power source.

A few weeks ago, while plugged in to a 50 amp source at a friends house we lost power a few times in the late evening over a few nights. The EMS was protecting the coach from unusual spikes/surges (132+ volts) that was coming from the power utility.

Wow thanks Progressive!

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Same here for the Progressive Industries 50A hard-wired unit. Right after I installed it, I noticed it would drop off-line sometimes but a call to the mfgr said it's just doing its thing. I feel alot better about all the electric/electronic stuff inside the coach now.

I guess it's kinda like an alarm system; you never really know if it worked until it doesn't, but the peace of mind in having it there is WELL worth it.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ron, welcome to irv2
I have the TRS hard wired in electric bay should have had it last summer before I lost transfer switch
Which ever way you deside its a good thing to have.
I notice you have a NEWMAR come down and join in the Newmar forum and I can make you a "Newmar Owners Forum Member" if you like, than you will be more than just a new member.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #10

Thanks for the offer to join the Newmar's members' forum. I THINK I am on it, but just in case, take a look and add me if I'm not. I'm an anolog person living in a digital world! Maybe you have an answer to my post regarding needing a female 50 amp plug.

Ron & Martha - Lucy the Terrier
2005 DSDP Model 4009
2002 4Runner Toad
Old 06-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ron its possible your son cut off the 30amp female plug of a 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone I'am not sure you can do that and wire in 2-120 volt ckts.
I just saw a post down in the MH Problems,Solutions & After forum that you may find interesting, its about Autoformers but has info on surge protection.
Maybe RV Wizard will jump in and give you the answer. I will post this down in another forum so he will pick this thread also.
You now are a member of Newmar forum and when you have a chance just below my entry for you is your signature profile block where you can put in your chassis and coach info so it will follow you when ever you post.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote