Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
tax issues with RV

just curious... I bought an 86 yellowstone Class C a couple years, I was planning on relocating to NC later this year, and wondering about personal property tax on RV.... car RVs be plated similar to semi trailers (plated for diferent states, ones without personal property taxes) or do the plates have to be issued for the state you reside in, and with full time RVers, do they have to pick a state in particular.

moreforles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
There are companies that register your vehicle through an LLC in Montana but I am not sure it is fully legit. You can search it on google.

2002 Holiday Rambler 40 PBT
Jimmyzw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
RV tax issues

Tax issues with RVs are very complicated and then on top of that knowing what questions you are asking. Basically, your state of residence is the determining factor. Most of the time, taxes are connected with licencing. I would highly suggest you don't take up residence in one state then attempt to licence the RV in another in an effort to "save" some money. State Depts of Revenue love that kind of thing to check into and collect fine money on top of your regular taxes/fees. How will they know? Have an accident with the RV and show authorities a driver's licence with a different state of residence. (Also then risk your insurance company having second thoughts about your claim.) Then there is always that "good neighbor" who might take notice and place an discreet phone call after your neighborhood discussion on how much money your saving. Bottom line - check with the state!
RVwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
I agree with the above posts unless you are military. My home of record is Florida, all of my vehicles and drivers license is from North Carolina and live in Virginia. This is legal and I don't pay the annual NC taxes on any of my vehicles too. This all will change of course in two years when I retire.
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 CTD, 45 gallon gravity tank, Cooper A/T3's, Bilstiens
2012 Arctic Fox 22H 300 watt Solar, Morningstar TS-45, 460 AH batteries, Xantrax 1000 watt PSW
Abnmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
In NC there is a personal property tax levied on the actual cash value of RV's and motor vehicles. It's collected by the county's at a tax rate determined by that county multiplied by the property's appraisal that's set by the state. Unless you have a real expensive motorhome the tax isn't too bad.

As example, my tax on my 5th wheel was $146 last year and another $145 on the truck I pull it with. On an older model RV it would be less, newer ones are a killer until they depreciate down some.
'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Here's another issue that may, or may not, apply in your case: I bought a used motorhome last year that was licensed in a different state. I had to get a KY state fire marshal inspection before the MH could be licensed. The local dealer wanted $250 / $300 to do this, but a call to the fire marshall's office had someone come to my house, do the inspection, and affix the seal for $60.00
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
like I said I was just curious, being that mine is and 86, I don't see the value or tax being too high, but hoping to upgrade to a little bigger/newer in the next five years, and was wondering how full time RVers plate their vehicles, since they travel all across the states (much like semi trucks, some actually built on semi cab frames) I thought maybe they could pick which ever state they thought would be cheaper to plate the vehicle in. Now with most states and the federal government in need of money, they seem to be looking at RVs as luxury.... in the case of full time RVers.... its a home, not a luxury (be it that some are very luxurious, is beside the point) Thanks again for responses... Les

moreforles is offline   Reply With Quote