Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Things I learned

After reading this you may laugh or just think how ignorant can one be. Maybe both. Anyway, I hope this helps a fellow newbie prevent some troubles. As for you experience Rvers, this just might be a trip back memory lane.
THINGS WE LEARNED – MOSTLY THE HARD WAY
Rear overhang is long. When turning in our steep drive the first time the spare tire caught and I was stuck. Grrr. Modified entrance to prevent this.
Generator gas. The generator will not run if fuel tank is at ¼. The fuel line for generator is shorter than chassis fuel line. Twice I thought the generator had a problem before I learned about this one.
Running over power supply cord while parked at home. Ran over it once and have since rerouted.
Turning on TV – be patient as there is a delay while powering up from sleep mode. I must have turned the TV on of 20 times before I learned to click and wait a few seconds Now that we replaced with 2 flat screens I don’t need this reminder as I understand the new ones.
Slides – Drivers seat must be moved in order to prevent damage. I not only damaged the leather, but bent the driver’s seat brackets as well.
Awning locks out unless locked for travel. Easy to bend awning locks if they were pressed in BEFORE closing. I now have a permanently bent lock tab.
Light switch on dinette seat. Couldn’t for life of me figure out how to turn on light over table until I discovered a switch on the back of the dinette seat
Plug under dinette. Oh yea, there is a plug there too. I was running an extension cord and thought that was stupid. Well we know how stupid that was…again.
Nothing hanging on awning. Before closing check for wife’s favorite hanging globes and wind chimes. You can figure out the rest of the story.
Close door and lock before moving. Did this 3 Xs. Door may just fly open and scare the daylights out of you. The last and final time I did this; the door flew open and scraped the blackberry stalks.
Alarms all need replaced. With 3 alarms, it seemed one was always going off for some reason or another. One goes off when battery power drops. I now have 3 new alarms. No problems.
Watch fridge gas/elec switchover. For some reason my fridge turned itself off once, but we did not find out until the ice melted.
Use blocks when uneven. I now have extra oak blocks for unlevel surfaces so I do not over extend by auto levelers.
Don’t rush Bigfoot auto level be patient. 1. Turn on 2. No movement on RV 3. Wait for green Bigfoot light and then and only then press auto level. ^&^&^**()_$
Refer handle is fragile. Like anything if it doesn’t work don’t force it. I attempted the manly approach to fixing the latch tab and completely broke handle.
Door blind flies off when released. Just hold on to it.
Lights burn out in RV too. The night we needed the patio light it went out. Same bulb in shower light. Didn’t know until next day and it was daylight. We now have extra bulbs.
Never pull up drive in the dark. 3rd time pulling in our very difficult drive I drove over my hand painted decorative stone and badly scratched my one storage compartments lower trim
The bolts to tighten the ac gaskets are inside not out grrrr. After a small leak, I researched on line and then went up on roof, removed cover only to find the bolts to tighten gasket were on the Inside.
Rear taillight twists out easily. Don’t have to remove whole assembly. Duh
Don’t rely on the bulb # you are replacing. Maybe that one was wrong too. Thought assembly was bad until I learned the previous owner put in the wrong bulb. So if I have rear light bulb problems (diming when hitting brakes, only one side etc) I will double check bulb number in book before replacing. Read book? Now that’s a novel idea.
When you dont have coach battery power check storage kill switch. Thought something was terribly wrong with power.
Winterizing requires the blowing out of toiliet valve and tubing too. No bad experience here, but just something I was showed by RV repair guy so I DON’T have a problem.
Need city water extension. Make it easier to connect so I dont have to get on knees and twist around to access poorly located inlet fitting.
Slides do not work when engine is on. Another time I thought something was terribly wrong.
Do not move vehicle EVER without first checking shore connections. Just about ripped out power box and post when I moved RV a few feet at neighbor Jeff’s so that the tires would be on different surfaces.
Never ever ever put out slide and let 7 people sit in it without jacks. Just visualize
Always use “red yellow green” warning for all passengers moving around. When yellow light is ahead or traffic is slowing I yell “yellow”. When a quick stop is coming I yell “red”. Works fine unless I yell “red” after I hit brakes hard.
Never stand directly under the awning to open after rain. Get the picture?
A rotten egg or acrid smell comes from the batteries. Duh. Batteries need to have levels checked frequently or they will gas off, make a bad odor and be ruined to boot. Another
Don’t hook up shore power while storing for winter as this is not necessary and may cause the aforementioned problem.
When filling water after winter, make sure the hot water drain is closed too or the tank will not fill and it will make a mess. I thought something got frozen and was leaking.
When done filling tanks or removing shore water, make sure to turn off shore water valve or on board pump will continue to run. Thought pump was bad because it wouldn’t quit running. Another Duh! Thank you Google
What good is a departure checklist if one doesn’t use it. After having many departure surprises I made a very detailed checklist but of course I decided not to use it. That was silly.
“We have and will have a new set of constant “problems” or questions if we do not learn from our mistakes"

Bnb144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
I should use spellcheck Another lesson I guess. Readin? Ingnorant? Maybe that is telling me my degree was a wasted effort. Cheesch.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #3

That's a great list. I learned another traffic light tip from reading an article by a Greyhound bus driver; if a light is green when you first see it, it is a "Stale Green". That is, you have no idea how long it has been green and can turn Yellow/Red with no warning, so be prepared to stop. Sometimes I will be reminded of this situation by the DW...
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cracked up over your serious list, but only because you made it sound funny. Been there done that on a couple, so I laughed harder.

Just remember. On the newer MH's with a master slide lock, the slides will not operate and the indicator is the "park brake." (Meaning it is not set.) No matter how many times I started the engine and set the park brake, the slides would not move. It's so ufortunate to say the the DW pointed with her finger, one time, and said, "Could that be the problem?"

Of course I said no, until she left, then said, "I fixed it."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #5

Newer MH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Cracked up over your serious list, but only because you made it sound funny. Been there done that on a couple, so I laughed harder.

Just remember. On the newer MH's with a master slide lock, the slides will not operate and the indicator is the "park brake." (Meaning it is not set.) No matter how many times I started the engine and set the park brake, the slides would not move. It's so ufortunate to say the the DW pointed with her finger, one time, and said, "Could that be the problem?"

Of course I said no, until she left, then said, "I fixed it."
So, are you saying that it's a simple "Lock" switch?

Also, are many of the problems listed eliminated if you get a newer MH?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I did not laugh at all...OK maybe a little Thank you for your information. As a new RV owner I will be sure to keep the information in my head!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemma112 View Post
So, are you saying that it's a simple "Lock" switch?

Also, are many of the problems listed eliminated if you get a newer MH?
Well, as you can see I am not an expert, but I am on a sharp learning curve. I think you will notice that most if not all were simply operator error/ignorance. Looking back I could have prevented these items. I was hoping this list would help a fellow noob to prevent these things by simply reading the manuals, creating or downloading a checklist, reading forums like this and using Google.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
[QUOTE=Wayne M;629086]Cracked up over your serious list, but only because you made it sound funny. Been there done that on a couple, so I laughed harder.

QUOTE]

Even though some items had potential for or created hardship, my intent was to make it funny. If one doesn’t have a sense of humor, why would one buy a MH? Now I am the one laughing. Here is another "funny" that could have been a nightmare. Our MH has a wardrobe that stretches across the entire rear end. The other day, when both bedroom slides were out, it made it look like there was an extra couple feet on each side of the wardrobe that was "paneled" off and I thought that is a lot of wasted space. I was going to drill a hole thru the end panels to see how much space was wasted when I realized that it only appeared that there was more space because the slides were out. I can only imagine how I would have felt if I drilled that hole only to see daylight coming from the outside where my drill bit went the whole way thru. Should I even admit stupid thoughts like this on this forum? Will I become an RV pariah?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Another “EDGEAMUKASHUN’

came my way this weekend.A flat Tire I came out of my house on Sunday to go for a day trip and found the right outer wheel to be slightly flat. I immediately checked the air pressure gauge and it was spot on. Ummmmm? On a side note my new truck gauge replaced the brand new car gauge I bought for the RV. I am sure you all know that a car tire gauge does not go high enough. Well at least I have a new gauge for our toad. But, I digress. I could not figure out why the gauge said it was ok when it was obviously not. Since I recently had braided stainless steel valve extenders installed, I thought I would at least check the inside tire. Nothing. So it finally dawned on me that the outside tire appeared flat because it was carrying the whole load on that side. Now it so happens that one of the warnings I read about in forums regarding valve extenders was true. They can cause problems too. The tire would not take air. Frustrated I called the shop that installed them and was told it would be ok to “nurse” my vehicle 25 miles to their shop. Wrong. This RV genius was havening no part of that experiment so I extended the jacks and took some pressure off of the tires.
Yesterday I tried to pry off the aluminum wheel covers and found they were really really really tight. I assumed I did not have a large enough wheel cover removal spade to do the job when my new tenant, a trucker, came home. Boy did he laugh. I did not know that 2 of the wheel cover lugs were indeed part of the act6ual lug. When he asked what tire tools I had, I told him that I have a set of cheap aluminum lug wrenches and really nice heavy duty wrenches. I assumed the previous owner simply replaced the cheap one for a good one. Wrong. The cheap one turned out to be slightly larger and was supplied to remove the two fake lug nuts and the “good” one was the real lug remover. Cheesch What a dummy I continue to be….er I mean genius in training. When he removed the 2 fake lug covers the lugs came off too and voila the wheel cover simply fell away. Keep in mind; I was going to try to pry them off before my tenant came home.
Finally I hooked up my new trusty 100 psi 1 gallon emergency air tank and learned quickly that while the tank will work, it takes many cycle times to bring the pressure up in a flat 92psi tire. I then asked him how the spare tire can work on either rear wheel given the fact that the wheels have such a deep depth and also asked him if the inner lug nuts are the same. DOIT. Now I know the inner wheels are put on in reverse and share the same lug nuts. Oh my what a learning curve or is it a learning mountain.
So here I sit writing this entire diatribe while waiting on hold for Geico Emergency Road Service.
Finally spoke with Emergency Road Service and received another lesson; many tow /road service companies do not like to service RVs.