Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #1

Tires and Class C Comments and Fishing for Suggestions

We have a 2002 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 30V with about 36000 miles. We bought it a little over 2'years ago.

Our first trip was from Indiana to Disney World -about 1650 miles round trip.

The trip down was great and uneventful. The trip back, not so much. About 100 miles north of Orlando the inside rear passenger side tire blew out. Fortunately we were very close to an exit with a repair facility. Turns out our Minnie had original tires and brakes. All the tires needed replacement. As the mechanics were pulling the wheels, they checked the brakes. The brake calipers were frozen. One rotor was almost cut into. So, we also had a complete brake job.

So here we are with new Nexen Radian HT tires and new brakes. We make trips to Ontario, Northern Michigan, and a few smaller 1,000 mile max round trips. All is good.

But wait here's the rub. This year, we are actually on the way home now, we take a 2'week vacation and travel to see Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, and all the surrounding scenery,etc.

The heat is up, 95+ degree days. We get about 700 miles into the trip, hear a noise and think nothing of it. It's a Class C and bumpy roads - its always noisy. About an hour later we pull off for fuel and food. I give a look around the RV and notice the driverside rear tires seem low. So, I go to check the pressure and there is none in the inside tire. There is, however, a big hole in the side. Fortunately there is a local repair place. They don't have the same exact tires, but the do have the correct size. We replace both inside and outside tires. Off to Hill City, SD.

Four days later we leave for Cody, WY. Less than 2 hours into the trip we have a blow out on the outside rear passenger tire. Triple A comes and swaps puts on our spare, which is a newer Firestone. We go to the next available tire repair center and have the spare replaced with the "good" drivers side tire that we replaced. All is good, back on the road. We're in Cody for 5 days. Prior to heading out we do a thorough check of our tires and notice the inside passenger rear tire appears to have suffered tread separation. We get it replaced in Cody.

We have now replaced, in some fashion 4 of the 6 tires we bought new 2 years prior. The 5th is replaced 800 miles later, front drivers side, apparent tread separation.

So, I've decided that Nexen HTs are probably not very good tires, but I now have a variety of opinions as to what my next tires and/or tire and wheel choices should be to avoid this problem in the future.

Is this scenario "normal" for RVs to have such tire problems?

What things can I do to help prevent this scenario?

Oh I now have a compressor on board to maintain pressure, 65 front/80 back,

Thanks for suggestions.
Lesdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Knock on wood, have not had a tire failure in 10 years, stick with tires made in the USA.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Les, welcome to forum. Are you familiar with the word M I C H E L I N?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #4

Funny.

Yes. That's what I've been told US. Michelin. Firestone. Bigger wheels. G weight rated tires.

The main problem on the road is you don't always get a choice and you have to take what you can get so you can keep rolling. But, that aside, I do appreciate your comments.

Factory spec tires are P225 75R16s. To get G weight rated tires requires a larger tire size and/or changing to a larger rim/tire.

What do you veteran RV'ers think about that?
Lesdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote