Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Tires, tires, tires

Hi All -

I know that this topic is probably like "beating a dead horse" as the euphemism goes, but I am new to RVing and I know that tires are pretty high on the important list.
I just bought a 2011 Jayco Pinnacle (38 ft) with a GRVW of 14950 lbs.
I will be taking a trip in about a month so I want to make sure that the tires are adequate.
They are Commodore ST235/80R16 Load Range E
I know that is kind of low on the load range scale.
Manufacturer dates are 2 @ 2413 1 @ 3912 and 1 @ 4012. I know those are week and year dates.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

dbjohnson.ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum,

Yeup, that's "where the rubber meets the road".
Recommendations will be varied. I prefer commercial trailer tires on trailers.
Providing your wheels are up to the capacity with HD valve stems.

I've had very good luck with these on a heavier coach <15K & tight budget:
LT235/85R16 LRG 14 Ply Sailun S637 Radial Trailer Tire

If peace of mind is more important than the budget:
LT235/85R16 LRG 14 Ply Goodyear G614 RST Unisteel

Best of luck on your trip,
Be well.

J & J + Kickr's the Vonderhund
DRV, ES-38RSSA, 19.6K#
GMC, 3500HD-Max, CC, 8'-DRW, 9.1K#
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Your trailer is at that point where it's too heavy for an LT truck tire like a Michelin XPSRib because they are only rated to 3042 pounds each. I would upgrade to a higher rated, non-Chinese tire.
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2013 Chevy 3500 dually
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
Thanks, and I believe that you are correct on that. What about the tires that are currently on my 5er. Are they too light as far as load range?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
Your tires are 3-4 years old and not the best, so have them examined at the minimum. I'd replace them, personally. The G rated Goodyear's are great. Trailer tires can also be called LT, so don't let the designation fool you.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

Perhaps no one can encourage you to go for it on nearly 5 Y.O. marginal tires.
Pardon our skepticism. The industry has a problem in this area as you noted in op.
We also don't know your travel plans. There is a big difference between 60 miles to the lake lot, and a 3900 mi. cross country journey.
Pack light and keep the speed low. It's always a good idea to weight your full set up in full travel mode.

Most of us will replace G,H,J- LR at 5-7 yrs. with full tread, just as insurance

The last set of Sailun's that I ordered had mfg. dates all in the same month and were 3 months old. The fact yours are a yr. apart is curious. Were a couple already replaced? How about the spare's date? Seems the trailer mfgr. would have had large batches of similar dates.
Having then inspected by a qualified tech might be prudent as a minimum. Don't let them sell you similar. We understand budgets are tight.

Be well.
J & J + Kickr's the Vonderhund
DRV, ES-38RSSA, 19.6K#
GMC, 3500HD-Max, CC, 8'-DRW, 9.1K#
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #8

Bill & Laurie | 2016 Monaco Trek 26HMD - CHF - Roadmaster RSSA Steering Stabilizer - SuperSteer SS400 Trac Bar | 2005 Honda Element - Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar - RVIBrake2 System | TireMinder TPMS |
rvtrekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #9
Tires, tires, tires

Thank you all for the welcome. Being new to this seems daunting, but I guess you experience trekkers it is old hat.
Mtn Treker; Thanks for the good information and advice. One can never get enough of either.
Just to let you know, my trip will be about 1400 miles. Not a short drive by any stretch of one's imagination. The current setup of tires were on the right when I purchased it. So I don't know the history of why the different dates.
I have to purchase new tires for my truck as they are Michelin 's but only D rated. I'll be going to E's.
A little concerned about the wheels on my 5er as they are the aluminum alloy and I've been reading that they can only handle E rated tires. Wish I knew all this stuff beforehand. Thanks again everyone.
"If you aren't smilin you aren't drivin. "
Old 08-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Tires,

Welcome to the Forum! Everyone here was new once so ask whatever questions you have. You can also use the "Search" option at the top right of the page and enter what you want to study and find lots of threads on any subject.

Enjoy your rig because this really is a blast!

Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote