Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2005, 07:30 AM   #1

Just purchased a 1984 Shasta 2350 24ft TT in great shape from a private party. Never owned an type of RV before so I'm totally new to all this and trying to read as much as I can about it. Planning on using this TT as a "mini-deer camp" from Sept-Dec. and as a family weekender during the summer.
Anything tricky about these things I need to watch for? Seems to be relatively straight foward with a handful of common sense..
Will be looking at replacing the 4 tires on it as they are getting some dryrot to them, F78-15 load B. I've read here that some brands of tires tend to blow out, any recommendations?
Also will be trying to pick up some new fender skirts for it as these are cracking. Any sources for OEM or OEM look-a-like Shasta skirts?
Other than that, the unit is great, exceptionally clean inside. I looked at used late models units that weren't this clean inside.
I'll post some pics of it once I pick it up next weekend..My retired father and I are very excited about this!! It's going to be a blast (other than cleaning out the sewer tank lol)..

1996 Dodge 1500 318 4x2
VanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2005, 07:30 AM   #2

Just purchased a 1984 Shasta 2350 24ft TT in great shape from a private party. Never owned an type of RV before so I'm totally new to all this and trying to read as much as I can about it. Planning on using this TT as a "mini-deer camp" from Sept-Dec. and as a family weekender during the summer.
Anything tricky about these things I need to watch for? Seems to be relatively straight foward with a handful of common sense..
Will be looking at replacing the 4 tires on it as they are getting some dryrot to them, F78-15 load B. I've read here that some brands of tires tend to blow out, any recommendations?
Also will be trying to pick up some new fender skirts for it as these are cracking. Any sources for OEM or OEM look-a-like Shasta skirts?
Other than that, the unit is great, exceptionally clean inside. I looked at used late models units that weren't this clean inside.
I'll post some pics of it once I pick it up next weekend..My retired father and I are very excited about this!! It's going to be a blast (other than cleaning out the sewer tank lol)..

1996 Dodge 1500 318 4x2
Old 09-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Welcome to the forum. You'll get a lot of help here, plus doing searching on past posts might help also.

One suggestion on tires: you might want a larger load range....

don
Old 09-05-2005, 08:23 AM   #4

Hey VanT,

If it's info you are looking for ,you've come to the right place. We read these pages for two years before we took off. Then when we really needed all these smart guys and gals we had no Internet! So we struggled along and learned a lot by accident (mostly happy accidents - we don't have an antenna anymore- but that's another story LOL). We are just back also and ready to learn even more.
Welcome-and always make sure the antenna is down before leaving!

Marcie,Jim &Clancy

97 Winnebago Adventurer
taletellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #5

Van_T, Ref Antenna. Make a check list of things to check for before you pull out. ie:Antenna down, Water heater off, frig locked, appliances secured, windows vents jacks dog dishes etc.

Lots of guys have one and will share. Art
Old 09-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the welcome and the tips!
I was kinda thinking that a B load range was a little light, seems it should be a D or maybe even an E for safety margin...I do have a pretty good background on tires to begin with since I've been in the automotive parts business for 20+ years LOL. Any particular brand that does well? I'm kinda leaning towards Cooper's since I have those on my truck and really like them.

I'd definately love to have a checklist as I'm completely lost on all the little things that need to be done prior to hitting the road..

BTW, if any of you guys & gals need replacement RoadMaster stuff let me know as I buy factory direct from them since the dealership I work at installs numerous towbars and such on our Saturns and hey I'm the Parts Manager so I get to swing whatever deals need to be swung I also buy directly from Rigid Hitch, they have a full lineup of towing hardware....

I'm really looking forward to digging into this, it's going to be a heck of alot of fun.
Right now, we're discussing whether to park the TT right on the hunting land or sitting it in a campground about 5 miles away. There are benefits and drawbacks whichever way we go but I'm kinda leaning towards the campground since we'll have hookups there that we won't have out on the land + we'll get to meet all sorts of folks at the campground..

Sorry about the long read, you'll find I tend to do that...lol, guess that's why I'm also into Amateur Radio (Ham Radio)...KB9SCZ clear..

Talk with ya'll soon!
Thanks!
Van

1996 Dodge 1500 318 4x2
Old 09-05-2005, 11:47 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Van, welcome to iRV2. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. One thing you will want on a trailer is trailer tires. I would stay away from the Carlisle brand of tires, bad news. Goodyear has a new trailer tire out and should be as good as the newer motorized G670 RV tires but made for trailers. Don't dump the black tank until it is nearly full. Be sure not to let the pipe and tank freeze this winter. You will need to blow them out completely or fill them all with anitfreeze (potable type; pink). Good luck and enjoy!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:13 AM   #8

Is there a way to keep both holding tanks & plumbing system operational until the end of December? It's gets a bit nippy up here in Wisconsin by then and would definately freeze rather promptly...
We'll be using this TT for hunting and could really use having those working until the end of the season....
I imagine that having the antifreeze in the black tank would be no biggy but I surely don't want to mix antifreeze in with my morning coffee

Does someone making heating elements for the tanks? Kind of like what we use for our raingutters & roof edges to keep from getting ice dams?

Thanks!!

1996 Dodge 1500 318 4x2
Old 09-06-2005, 03:50 AM   #9

Van T, basically keep your fresh, grey, black & hot water tanks empty while in storage (drain after every campout). Yes there is heat tape and heater pads available; that might be a good idea for your '84 because I doubt the area is insulated where the tanks are located. The water heater obviously requires no aux. heating, even the black tank stays thawed as long as your using it. Concern would be with fresh and grey water tanks. Many RVers use heat tape along their shore pole water hose (incoming to camper), and others add styrofoam panels to insulate the tank area. Leaving a 50w light bulb burn overnight in the tank compartments work too. -'course it's all relative to the outdoor temp. If it's going down less than 20 degrees F, that's the time you'll need to consider extra protection/insulation.
Not sure how large your propane tank is, but be aware that you can go through a 30-pounder in a week's time using a lot of gas (especially with the furnace if it's 20 degrees all week).
Old 09-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Van,
These links may be helpful.

http://www.championtrailers.com/

http://www.all-rite.com/

http://www.rvaddons.com/

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/default.cfm

Welcome aboard and enjoy.
Mike