Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2007, 08:34 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a newbie and need info on toads. I have a toyota tacoma, 4x4, manual transmission. Seems I have heard that toyotas are not towable. Therefore if I want to trade, I need to know what to consider. What are the top towable vehicles 4 wheels down? Advice and opinions are welcome. Thanks.
droneb

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:34 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a newbie and need info on toads. I have a toyota tacoma, 4x4, manual transmission. Seems I have heard that toyotas are not towable. Therefore if I want to trade, I need to know what to consider. What are the top towable vehicles 4 wheels down? Advice and opinions are welcome. Thanks.
droneb

Old 01-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
First off welcome to IRV2.
Will short cut your question down to Towables forum for more responses also.
Enjoy the forums and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, welcome to irv2. Glad to have you aboard.

We tow a Jeep Liberty 4x4 & it tows like a dream. I used the dinghy towing guide from Motorhome Magazine to decide what to buy once I knew what our coach could tow & what the hitch was rated for. You could try their website for info. The 2007 guide is not on there yet, but you could get a start using the 2006 guide.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #5

droneb, Welcome to irv2 We also tow a Jeep only a Cherokee best I have found to tow this is my second one towed many miles with no problems. But check your owners manual I think you can tow a standard Toyota does your transfer case have a netural position if so you should be able to tow it.

Earl

www.gsowners.com/
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
droneb, welcome to iRV2.com. We are gld you have found us and look forward to reading of your adventures. How many persons are you needing or sometime wanting to carry in the toad? What weight can you put behind the coach? Once you know these you can search through many avenues here on the forum. We have tow vehicles we can tow four down. Once is my service truck and the other is our Vue. Both are for different purposes and are great for their particular need. Good luck and let us know when you get teh choices down to a few.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:34 AM   #7

Check my sig, both are under 5000lb and both tow awsome.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #8

You will also find the Ford Explorer and tne Mercury Mountaineer are both good towing vehicles. With a 4door 4wd all you have to do is have the neutral tow package installed and then you turn off the key and hold the brake pedal and the top 4wd drive button for 5-8 seconds and you are ready to go. I am towing my third Explorer and on this 04 I have over 20,000 towed and 74,000 driven. Works greatand carries 7 passengers.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

There should be no need to trade your Tacoma with manual tranny. The "can't tow a Toyota" instruction applies to automatic transmissions, where Toyota says that towing will void the automatic transmission warranty. You should be able to tow a manual transmission Toyota, whether 2WD or 4WD. All the other manual tranny Toyotas are towable, so I believe the Tacoma will be as well. Check your Tacoma's owners manual for towing instructions to be sure, or call Toyota customer service and ask.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a word of caution, NOT ALL manual transmissions are towable 4-down. It all depends on how the transmission is lubricated. Some get lubrication by splashing, some by the input shaft and some from the output shaft.

Also, bing a 4x4 will effect the towability. Read your owners manual for specific instruction. I would not bother to ask the average dealer service experts, they all tend to specialize in NO for an answer to make life simpler for them.

Ken
Old 01-27-2007, 04:46 AM   #11

Hide Post
We have an 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel that we used to tow for 1 month. It's a great car, lots of pep and set up to tow. I has less that 4K miles, both carpet and mud floor mats and a Jeep bra.

We've decided not to tow a car and would make you a GREAT deal if you are interested. You can email me at rbloom0105@bellsouth.net or call at 561-670-8676 to discuss if interested.

Thanks
Raphael
Old 01-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I just finished setting up my 2007 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 automatic up for tow.

Since it has the "shift on the fly" 4X4 and automatic, I had to have the Neutral Tow Kit installed. This consisted of a plug and light and computer reprogram (Cost for part 25.00, cost or install and computer 150.00).

No other modifications are needed. Tows very nice - and I like to have the truck bed. Since it's only the wife and me, the space behind the drivers/passenger seats get used or groceries.

Since I have a roll top cover (lockable), the toad brake and gear gets put back there and locked up when not in use.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4 down. No problems towing the past 7,000 miles of so. Just put the automatic trans in neutral, leave the key in the first position and it does not record mileage. We have a brake buddy but I do not think it is necessary with this lightweight car.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
droneb,
The best advice from these posts is to read your owner's manual. It is the only place where the manufacturer will state, in writing, if the vehicle is towable and what the proceedure is to do so. If you can tow the weight and like what you have, you may be pleasently surprised at what the owner's manual has to say.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote