Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer Rookie

I retired last year and just before I quit working we purchased a used 19' travel trailer to pull behind our V8 Tundra. Truthfully I was sweating bullets having never towed anything before. But, I figured that there are so many folks doing it, even I could learn. Anyway long story short our first trip was from Tucson Az to Cape Cod Ma. Nothing like starting out small, we just jumped in. To my surprise it was a great trip with relatively few problems, other than over packing, a broken trailer frame on the way our and a wind ruined canopy on the way back. Despite our "difficulties" we were hooked. Upon returning to Tucson we immediately traded in the 19 footer for a brand new 21' TT with a slide and lots of other stuff that made my wife happy.
We'll be off again in August headed for New England. With luck the trip will be less eventful this year than last.
BTW - Still can't back that thing up to save my life. Does provide comic relief at every new opportunity though.
meanman85745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #2

Glad to hear you're having a great time. I myself wouldn't really consider the Tundra as a good tow vehicle, but I've had a bad experience with the tail wagging the dog.

Best of luck & enjoy!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Easy tip on backing trailer - put your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel, move your hand the way you want the tail of the travel trailer to go.

When backing into a site/driveway, concentrate on backing the wheel or axle of the trailer, when the wheel gets to the edge of a driveway make your turn. Let someone else watch the rest of the trailer until you get the hang of it. However, you still need to watch your tow vehicle's nose etc.

You will get the hang of it soon. Have fun!
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

Yeah I've heard whispering about Tundra not being a good tow vehicle but I'm so new at this I have nothing to compare it to. Haven't had any problems with swaying (yet thankfully), I use an anti sway hitch set up, and the truck has the factory tow package. And it's a relatively comfortable ride. Always open to new information so thanks for the input.
Occasionally, I go on the web to drool over a new Silverado or GMC diesel. Maybe I should just pull the trigger and buy one . . . after all, money is no object when you have none!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Easy tip on backing trailer - put your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel, move your hand the way you want the tail of the travel trailer to go.
Great advice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
However, you still need to watch your tow vehicle's nose etc.
This is the part most "instructors" forget to teach. Never done any damage, but looked back to the front just in the nick of time a few times.
tim5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

Thank you for the tips.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to KDbug
my husband made me learn when we got our pup before went to an empty parking lot and spent several hours on several days learning to back up a trailer, then went out to my brothers, he lives in the woods & pumps in sunshine, and they set up cones to practice. Takes practice, practice, practice. Thought if we have it I should know how to drive, tow, whatever.
he felt they same about the kids my kids had to learn to drive a standard vehicle and be able to help with the trailer. Kids hated it but even today the know he's right they will never be stuck cause the don't know how to drive or pull something.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #8

Happy travels in your retirement!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi meanman, welcome to the forum. If the wife's happy you're points ahead already.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #10

jpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad to have you join the group! I can certainly relate to your situation. We bought a 28' 5th wheel in 2001 and I too had never backed a trailer before! Just hang in there, you'll be fine! Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #12

I'd like to thank everyone for their friendly and encouraging thoughts and helpful hints.
See you one the road.