Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Travel RN and future full-timer!

Hello, all. I've posted a few times in other subforums, so I'm overdue to post here and introduce myself.

I'm a travel nurse in the ICU. I started traveling at the end of last year, and I love it. My agency provides me with a lovely furnished apartment, but I've been an RV nut ever since I "helped" my grandfather convert an old school bus into a pretty slick camper back in the 70's. Full-timing in an RV has been a dream my entire adult life.

At this point, I'm able to make it a reality. I'm planning to get a Class A motorhome and tow my beloved little coupe around the country, from hospital to hospital, coast to coast. My fiance' holds down the fort at our home in MI, but we also talk about maybe throwing the pets in the RV and fulltiming together, me nursing, him workamping. Time will tell.

I look forward to learning from and participating in this forum. Thanks for being awesome!
Circejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome, again, and good luck. My wife is an RN, and in a few years I am going to float the proposition of her working as a traveling RN while we move about the country. But I have not come up with a plan for how I am going to hold up "my end of the bargain" yet!
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Welcome, again, and good luck. My wife is an RN, and in a few years I am going to float the proposition of her working as a traveling RN while we move about the country. But I have not come up with a plan for how I am going to hold up "my end of the bargain" yet!
I don't know your age or what you do for a living, but check into workamping! There are opportunities for all age and skill levels.

If you or your wife have any questions about travel nursing, feel free to PM me. It's definitely a field where you need to do your research, but it's incredibly rewarding, especially for the nomadic at heart. I can't wait to move from place to place in my RV, rather than moving apartments and cities every three months.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect Class A for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #6

Good luck with your search .... and to your nearly new adventure ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

It's good to have you here, good luck with your plans.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! On our journeys, we have met many traveling RN's. Great field for the nomadic at heart. Good luck to you both. I'm sure there will a lot of opportunity for you both.
Safe travels.
Andi
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

A friend of ours was a Traveling Nurse before they started having kids. Her favorite place to work was Hawaii. She went there in the winter months three or four years in a row.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us. My wife was an ICU nurse for years then moved to the recovery room. She retired the end of '14.

Best of luck with your RV plans and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #11

Welcome aboard & good luck with your plans.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My hat is off to you for making such a bold decision to travel in a moho while you work as a traveling RN! My wife recently retired as a busy ER RN, and I could not ever imagine "holding down the fort at home" while she got to travel around this beautiful country of ours, albeit working as an RN. After 35 years together, we have always done it together, but we understand not everybody is that way.

I retired several years before the wifey did, and we did try living several hours away from her ER and she simply took a "baylor" position, working every other weekend and commuting by herself, staying with other RN girlfriends. However, after a year or so, the drive just became too long, and it never failed to snow when it was her weekend to commute during the winter months.

We sold that mountain home, and moved into our class-A moho and lived in campgrounds in the area of her ER job for about 6 months, until she was finally able to retire. We tried full-timing for about 6 more months, but the timing was just not right, and she really missed her passion of working in her silversmith shop. So we bought another small mountain home, set up her shop, and guess what? Happy wifey, happy lifey. . . . .

Now, we moho whenever we want, wherever we want. We still have the small mountain home, and we are always looking for the next best place to live. One of my favorite sayings is "How do you know where the best place to live is, until you have been EVERYWHERE!" She did miss nursing, and a friend hooked her up with a part time agency that had her travel to very ill, hospice patients that were at home in the mountains. I had to drive her to many of the houses, since they were really off the beaten path, some even required some 4x4 jeeping! That only lasted about 6 months, then she realized how over 25 years as an ER RN had taken its toll on her. She finally realized no matter how much money we make together, we just spend it. So we are settling in to the retired life at the ripe old age of 55 and 56. Still learning about the journey being part of the destination. . . . .

When looking for your moho, be sure to get a good all-season unit. We have a 33' class-A National Dolphin gas moho with 22.5 tires, and have found it is big enough to full-time in. We can live in it with the slides in when necessary, and it has plenty of storage and power to tow. Nothing wrong with going bigger, or even with a DP if you feel good about that, but we like having the smallest moho possible, with the best floor plan for our style. That is the secret, find what you like and go with it.

Enjoy your upcoming adventure. Please let us all know how it goes.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #13

Thank you for the welcome!

I have a feeling that my fiance' and the furry crew will end up joining me at some point soon, and that will be wonderful. We have a home in beautiful Leelanau County, MI that we don't want to sell, which is the big reason why he's still there. We might well rent it out, though, and be on the road together. At the moment, in corporate apartments, it's not possible, but with a motorhome, it will be!
Old 03-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circejane View Post
Thank you for the welcome!

I have a feeling that my fiance' and the furry crew will end up joining me at some point soon, and that will be wonderful. We have a home in beautiful Leelanau County, MI that we don't want to sell, which is the big reason why he's still there. We might well rent it out, though, and be on the road together. At the moment, in corporate apartments, it's not possible, but with a motorhome, it will be!
Jane, I work in a hospital, we used to have a weekend option nurse that lived several hundred miles away and she would come up with her MOHO on weekends and we would provide power for her to spend weekends there while she worked. My niece has spent years as a traveling nurse so I know the life. I work nights in the maintenance department running the power plant at my hospital. Make friends with the night guys and they will help you out. I work nights cause I don't have to deal with bosses and supervisors at night and I can do things most dayshift guys can't. Just a suggestion
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel