Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Smile traveling to jacob lake az to north rim of grand canyon

Anyone travel from Colorado to Jacob Lake, Az? We are leaving Durango, Co this Wednesday and wanted to know how the roads are and where nearest Walmart might be say from Page, Az to Jacob Lake? does Fredonia or Kanab have shopping?
thanks so much
__________________

__________________
blnsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,328
Welcome to IRV2! Sure glad you joined us! You might look over in "Camping locations and information" for things like that. Not too many folks hang out here. Good luck & God bless!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
harv12's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 266
Not sure about the road conditions, but we're sure you'll love the trip! Lot's of helpful and knowledgeable folks here to help. Here's a link we've found pretty useful Walmart Locations | Allstays Walmart

Good luck and safe travels!
__________________
Chris & Marily / Where Ever HaRV Takes Us
'07 Winnebago Vectra 40TD / '09 Tahoe Tailgating
harv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Howdy and welcome. Sorry I don't have any info about your route.
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Smile Jacob lake

Thanks everyone for all your help!
__________________
blnsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Thanks
__________________
blnsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
historyljc's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 5,173
Hi, welcome to the forum. Every place in America has shopping. Just different stores - sometimes.
__________________
Travel well, travel safe,
Jim
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Member
 
born2travel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnsg View Post
Anyone travel from Colorado to Jacob Lake, Az? We are leaving Durango, Co this Wednesday and wanted to know how the roads are and where nearest Walmart might be say from Page, Az to Jacob Lake? does Fredonia or Kanab have shopping?
thanks so much
Once you leave the walmart at Page you won't see another one. Load up on the groceries you need there. Jacob Lake is nothing but a junction for US89A & AZ67. There are a couple of campgrounds, a pricey gas station, restaurant, motel and vistors center. AZ67 leads to the North Rim (40ish miles). Just before the GCNP gate there is a lodge, campground and more overpriced gas station.

Fredonia does not have a graocery store I have found but does have a town marshall that loves to pass out greeting cards. Kanab has a couple of grocery stores (nearest to North Rim @ 80ish miles). The prices at Honey's Market aren't ridiculous especially for the sale items. Kanab has an old marked crown vic with a dummy in it to keep the speeds down and they move it around town. I have never seen it but apoparently on occasion the dummy is in the trunk and an officer is in the car, eagerly passing out greeting cards.

With respect to the roads, after you drop out of Page it is relatively flat until you start the climb onto the North Kaibab Plateau which is windy, curvy & steep in places but very doable. AZ 67 is windy but no long steep grades. Both roads are in decent shape.
__________________
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel
Once you leave the walmart at Page you won't see another one. Load up on the groceries you need there. Jacob Lake is nothing but a junction for US89A & AZ67. There are a couple of campgrounds, a pricey gas station, restaurant, motel and vistors center. AZ67 leads to the North Rim (40ish miles). Just before the GCNP gate there is a lodge, campground and more overpriced gas station.

Fredonia does not have a graocery store I have found but does have a town marshall that loves to pass out greeting cards. Kanab has a couple of grocery stores (nearest to North Rim @ 80ish miles). The prices at Honey's Market aren't ridiculous especially for the sale items. Kanab has an old marked crown vic with a dummy in it to keep the speeds down and they move it around town. I have never seen it but apoparently on occasion the dummy is in the trunk and an officer is in the car, eagerly passing out greeting cards.

With respect to the roads, after you drop out of Page it is relatively flat until you start the climb onto the North Kaibab Plateau which is windy, curvy & steep in places but very doable. AZ 67 is windy but no long steep grades. Both roads are in decent shape.
Thanks so much. We are camping in rv park (kaibab rv park) in Jacob lake, do you know if you can get cell phone coverage and maybe dish reception at rv park? Have dinner reservations at lodge (north rim) at sunset, heard its beautiful,,any suggestions for what to see in this part of the country?
.
__________________
blnsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
Member
 
born2travel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 88
I don't know exactly where that RV park is but there is a cell tower just northwest of Jacob Lake. Verizon works there but depending on your exact location it may be sketchy. Dish reception depends on clear line of sight.

How long you are on the rim dictates what you can do. Cape Royal Rd. and Point Imperial Rd. are nice drives, 1 1/2 hours out and back to all view points (plus looking into the canyon time). Many people enjoy the mule rides - most walk funny afterwards, but they enjoy the view. The visitor center could help you with choosing what is right for the time you have on the rim.
__________________
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel
I don't know exactly where that RV park is but there is a cell tower just northwest of Jacob Lake. Verizon works there but depending on your exact location it may be sketchy. Dish reception depends on clear line of sight.

How long you are on the rim dictates what you can do. Cape Royal Rd. and Point Imperial Rd. are nice drives, 1 1/2 hours out and back to all view points (plus looking into the canyon time). Many people enjoy the mule rides - most walk funny afterwards, but they enjoy the view. The visitor center could help you with choosing what is right for the time you have on the rim.
We are at rv camp. Beautiful rv park. We even have cell coverage.
__________________

__________________
blnsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.