Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
Hello to everyone. My wife and I are about to purchase a 2000 Ultimate Advantage but I have a question or two about these coaches. I will start off my saying I did do a search on this forum and found out some of the things to look at prior to purchasing. The one thing I can't find, even after downloading the broucher, is the GCWR for the 36C with the 300hp CAT. We plan on towing our race car and with trailer that is 6000 lbs. I will also tow, when not racing, our 2004 Ford Explorer which is roughly 4200 lbs. Can anyone tell me the GCWR?
Also, is there anything besides the (1)engine compartment lid, (2) main entrance door latch, (3) basement A/C blower motor and (4) leaky black water valve I should pay close attention to.
I currently own a 33 ft.,'91 Hawkins w/250T CAT so I know diesels and allisons.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Paul & Sandy

Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #2

Hello to everyone. My wife and I are about to purchase a 2000 Ultimate Advantage but I have a question or two about these coaches. I will start off my saying I did do a search on this forum and found out some of the things to look at prior to purchasing. The one thing I can't find, even after downloading the broucher, is the GCWR for the 36C with the 300hp CAT. We plan on towing our race car and with trailer that is 6000 lbs. I will also tow, when not racing, our 2004 Ford Explorer which is roughly 4200 lbs. Can anyone tell me the GCWR?
Also, is there anything besides the (1)engine compartment lid, (2) main entrance door latch, (3) basement A/C blower motor and (4) leaky black water valve I should pay close attention to.
I currently own a 33 ft.,'91 Hawkins w/250T CAT so I know diesels and allisons.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Paul & Sandy

Old 12-05-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paul:

Welcome to IRV2.com . You will surely find some great and helpful info. here. There are several UA owners who will hopefully respond to your questions.

FYI, we also tow a 2004 Explorer and on a recent weigh-in, actual weight was 4,700 pounds with gas tank 3/4 full and no passengers or cargo.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Paul, WELCOME to iRV2 and the Winnebago Owner's Forum!!

I believe a great place to get the answers to your towing weight questions would be the folks at Winnebago in Forest City.

Here's the contact information....

Owner Relations email address-- or@winnebagoind.com
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Service Administration-... 1-800-537-1885
For information about your current Winnebago
Industries motor home, service or dealer inquiries
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #5

Paul & Sandy, Welcome to the IRV2 webite, glad you joined our group, hopefully you will get the anwsers you seek. Ed.S
P.S. check out the Winnebago Owners Forum
Old 12-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe that the weight rating should be on a sheet located in one of the closets of your unit! If the prior owner left the user's manuals it should also be in there. If not, Winnie will surely be able to help you.

Welcome!
Old 12-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #7

I took Rebelsbeach's suggestion and contacted Winnebago and got an answer right away.
For everyones information the tongue weight is 500 lb. and the hitch capacity is 5000. The GCWR is 34,410 lb.

I will be slightly over the recommended GCWR. Is this a chassis issue or motor/tranny issue?
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Paul
Old 12-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
You are asking for problems from two directions if you pull a 6,000 lb trailer with that hitch rating and GCVWR.
It is not wise to exceed the hitch rating. You might be able to get away with it over the short term but not for the long term. Ultimately you will have a structural failure. You might be able to replace the 5K hitch with a 10K hitch but I would check with Winnebago first. The attachment points might not withstand the strain of anything more 5,000 lbs. It could be that the GCVWR is because of the 5K hitch and they may say that it would be okay to replace it with a higher capacity hitch and that will increase the GCVWR. Then again they may not want to get into that discussion.
If you exceed the GCVWR, again you will probably get away with it in the short term, but eventually you may have a transmission failure or a problem somewhere along the drive line.
With your race trailer it is possible to stay below the GCVWR but not below the 5K hitch limit.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #9

Paul I had a 2001 Ultimate Freedom and now a 2004 Ultimate Advantage. Both of mine were on the Winnebago modified Spartan Chassis. I don't have any experience with the Freightliner chassis.
The four things you mentioned are not specific to Ultimates and other than the door latch not a real common problem with Winnebago, at least that I am aware of.
The basement air is also used by other manufactures and I understand that there may have been a bad batch of blower motors that affected a few manufactures coaches.
I heard of one person where the epoxy did not set correctly on the engine compartment lid hinge but it is not a common problem.
I also only know of one Ultimate owner that had a leaky black water valve however that is something most coaches will have eventually.
From my experience the issues you raised are not frequent or specific to Ultimates so I would not worry about them.
I am not aware of any specific things to be concerned about with an Ultimate
The squeaky door lacth is a common Winnebago issue and is easy to correct with a new one that Winnebago will provide.
As far as GCWR I would not exceed the rating published by Winnebago--there are potential safety issues and probable liability issues.
I have had great luck with my Ultimates and if you can find a solution to the GCWR I am sure you would be very happy with the coach.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #10

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Rnabors, thank you for setting my mind at ease about the problems that I earlier posted. I found that information while doing a search for "Ultimate Advantage" on this forum.
My wife is in love with this coach and has told me to stop looking for other coaches plus the dealer is giving us a good buy at 95K. The coach is loaded with all but a few options; spot light, central vac, and full width rear skirt.
I have sent an inquiry to Freightliner Chassis about safely upgrading to a 10k hitch. I have garbage trucks that utilize the MD-3060 allisson so I know they can handle a GVW of 47K.
If nothing else I guess I can buy an alluminum trailer to cut down the tow weight.
Thanks again.

Paul
Old 12-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #11

Paul,

We just purchaced a 01 UA 40J. The only major problem we have come across, which seems to frequent other Winnie's also is the side wall attachments. Check under your bay doors and make sure the screws that secure the side walls to the frame are tight. Also you might want to seach the fourm here and see what some others have said about that.

As for GCVW, ours is listed at 36k with a 5k hitch also. I believe the '02's on the spartan chassis jumped to 10k, so I would give winnie a call and see what the deal is.

J

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #12

I had my 5,000 pound, 350 pounds of vertical load hitch strengthened to 7,500 pounds and 750 pounds of vertical load by local company that produces hitch products nationally. Their name is Tork Lift and they are located in Kent, Washington. I was able to do so because my motorhome chassis is rated to tow up to 8,000 pounds.

I looked up the specifications for the 2000 Ultimate Advantage 36C and the GCWR is 34,410 pounds. This means this model can pull up to 5,000 pounds in excess of its own weight when loaded to capacity. Your constraint is not just the hitch system; you are also constrained by your chassis. It is not advisable to tow more than 5,000 pounds.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote