Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Ultralight TT in San Diego

Hello everyone. I'm new to RVing. Im looking intently at some Ultralight travel trailers. My small family of three would like to tow with my 02 Dodge Dakota. My GVWR is 6000 and my curb weight is 4500. I figure my family and stuff is about 500 and tongue weight is 500 or less so I've still got some room there. My GVWR is 9500. So I need a trailer under 4000. That doesn't leave me a lot of options. I have been looking at the Apex Nano 185bh and 193BH. I cant find either locally. This weekend however, we found a forest river Wildwood 195BH that we would like to look at. It's GVWR is only 3900. Dry it's 3000 and with out camping gear food and water I am probably at 3600 maybe 3700. That puts me 300-400 below my GCVWR. We really don't want a tent trailer. Do you guys have any options between the Apex Nano and the Wildwood trailers. Or have any suggestions for other ultra light trailers? I would very much like to find something that I don't have to use the dinet as a bed. I would like to sit down and drink coffee in the mornings with rousting my son out of bed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome. With your vehicle, you will be very tight on weight. Remember that kids do nothing but get bigger (and sometimes adults do too). You will probably also find you want to take one of your son's friend eventually; it makes kids much easier to handle when they have a friend along. Have you looked at some of the extra small hybrid trailers - hard sided with a pop-out canvas section? Can you see another tow vehicle in the not too distant future?

UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your family! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

A bigger TV is probably in my future. But to meet our financial goals I need to pick one this year. I cannot do both. I don't want to put off buying a camper any longer. I am hoping that whichever trailer I buy works well enough that even when the bigger TV comes I will not want to get a bigger trailer. For the foreseeable future we will remain a family of three. A bigger TV would make the trips less stressful for me but I am hoping the trailer will continue to meet our needs. I suspect that the majority of our camping trips will be to camp grounds for the time being. If that's the case I think we could leave home with our water tank empty. Hopefully my wife and I will only be getting smaller in the future as my son should grow another 100/150 pounds in the next ten or twelve years.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With understanding that your tow vehicle is a short-term solution, you will probably be ok. However you will struggle in mountains and you will find driving with the maxed out system to be challenging. Just keep on the flat as long as you can, and don't plan on 12 hour travel days (you will be exhausted). Start planning for the bigger vehicle in the next couple of years before that boy gets too much bigger!

Note we don't want to scare you off of getting a trailer, but most of the experienced posters here understand how many pounds of "stuff" you will soon accumulate. it is good that you look at weights for yourself. In my experience, RV dealers will always say that you can pull anything! Don't trust them and do the calculations on your own. Best of luck to you.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #6

Glad to have you here with us.

Have you been to any big RV shows? They are always packed with many different models. Some of which might make a good fit for you.

Best of luck in your search and Happy Trails!!!
Old 03-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi, welcome to IRV2. Good luck finding the right TT for you and your family. Safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I haven't been to any RV shows. We have visited several dealers and surfed the www for countless hours. This weekend we will do some more hunting.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light