Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2006, 02:31 AM   #1

After years of towing Jeeps and a 1996 Dodge Dakota behind our motorhome(s), we purchased a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4-wheel drive to tow. We were assured by numerous salesmen that it was towable--just like our other vehicles. Much to our surprise after towing it for one day the battery went dead! As it is still under original warranty we took it to several service departments but they did not know the problem. Finally one found an obscure addendum in the computer which said that the negative battery cable must be disconnected each and every time you tow. This is inconvenient plus affects clock and radio settings. This addendum was supposed to be added to the owner's manual but was not. I talked to Customer Service of Chrysler 3 times and basically was told it was my problem but they would try to make the information more "visible" to dealers and buyers. This new key system also affects the Jeep which is such a popular tow veicle. The addendum is supposed to be attached to the owner's manual but I wonder how many people look at the owner's manual before they buy instead of relying on information from salesmen. The last time I looked it was on the Dakota but not the Jeep owner's manual. My suggestion is to investigate this very carefully before purchasing a Jeep or Dodge Dakota. I don't know about the new Liberty. Hint: if, when in 4-wheel drive and key is in the correct position and the accessory light is still on on the dash, the battery will go dead unless disconnected each time!
lmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2006, 02:31 AM   #2

After years of towing Jeeps and a 1996 Dodge Dakota behind our motorhome(s), we purchased a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4-wheel drive to tow. We were assured by numerous salesmen that it was towable--just like our other vehicles. Much to our surprise after towing it for one day the battery went dead! As it is still under original warranty we took it to several service departments but they did not know the problem. Finally one found an obscure addendum in the computer which said that the negative battery cable must be disconnected each and every time you tow. This is inconvenient plus affects clock and radio settings. This addendum was supposed to be added to the owner's manual but was not. I talked to Customer Service of Chrysler 3 times and basically was told it was my problem but they would try to make the information more "visible" to dealers and buyers. This new key system also affects the Jeep which is such a popular tow veicle. The addendum is supposed to be attached to the owner's manual but I wonder how many people look at the owner's manual before they buy instead of relying on information from salesmen. The last time I looked it was on the Dakota but not the Jeep owner's manual. My suggestion is to investigate this very carefully before purchasing a Jeep or Dodge Dakota. I don't know about the new Liberty. Hint: if, when in 4-wheel drive and key is in the correct position and the accessory light is still on on the dash, the battery will go dead unless disconnected each time!
lmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Imarilyn, it is sad that most dealerships pay no attention to product updates. As for the clock and radio presets here is something I found on another forum; I made one and it works. Use a 12 volt powercord(available at Radio Shack or parts stores)and wire a 9volt battery connector to the power cord. With a 9v battery attached, plug it into the cig or power outlet before disconnecting the auto battery. It will power the clock and such for a long time. Remove after reattaching the auto batt. Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
lmarilyn, welcome to irv2
Many thanks for your informative first post I know alot of people use these vehicles for tow's.
Now that you have joined us you can post in your "signature profile block" on second page of profile your coach and chassis and tow info which will travel on every post you post.
Enjoy the forums and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Imarilyn, let me also welcome you to iRVw.com. We are glad to have youjoin us. There is only one auto manufacturer and even more important group of dealers that understand what we RVers need for vehicle towing four flat; Saturn. Even then you will need to follow the proper proceedures but at least the sales and service personell can tell you "how to". One other thing that can be done is to provide a charge line off the motorhome to the toad and keep the battery charge up that way. I know it is an exspense but you will not have to disconnect the battery each time to tow. If you decide to disconnect the battery each time you could put in a rotory type diconnect used in the marine industry to select an 2nd battery and diconnect the first. Many ways to skin a cat as they say. Good luck and enjoy the forum!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #6

Imarilyn, welcome to the IRV2 website, sorry to hear of your inconvenience, look forward to your posts. Ed.S