Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Very, Very Green!

Hello, My friends call me Big Mike, and I am getting ready to take the biggest adventure in my Life! Now I know everyone says that you should rent before your Buy, but that is not going to work for me. I have sold the farm! So I am going for it all of the way, and if I find out that I don't like it, I will never let my friends Know! I am going to Fake It Tell I Make It! Yes, I am talking about full time, no light weight stuff for me, I want the full nelson experience. I have been looking and researching for about 4 months, to the point most of my friends are walking the other way when I show up. I like Winnebago, and I understand that a gas Class A would be best fit for a green horn like me. But I am not sure what is the right size that I should buy that will be the best for full time living, and I want to buy used, and how old of an RV, and the most mileage I want stay under. Also, I am open to suggestions on other Models that will be best for someone like Me! Thanks in advance for all of your inputs.

Big Mike in Calif!
Bearhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
If your gonna be a Bear be a Grizzly

If you can afford it a DP diesel will last longer and be a better ride. To me it's like the difference between a 110V Table Saw and a 220V one. I went from a Gasser "C" class to a 37' DP and really haven't had any problems adapting.
We lost some money in the process, so if you find the floor plan you want and take the usual precautions, I'm sure you will get an earful about them with this thread, you could save money in the long run going right for the throat and get a pusher. They are tighter and in general the OEM equipment is higher end, especially when buying a used one. The new gassers are a lot closer in quality to their Diesel brothers. I'm not knocking gassers here, there are a lot of nice ones out there and they cost a good deal less, but if your in it for the long haul the DP will be worth the added costs. Drive both and see what you think.

Winnies are well made and the factory support is really quite good even long after the warrantee has expired. You know schematics and parts availability, phone support and stuff like that.

Good Luck

DICK

p. s. It was nice to see that was the kind of GREEN you were talking about
Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your new adventure.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome! Spend some time reading the various sections of the forum...particularly the Owners' sections. You can ask all the questions you want about all the types and brands of RVs. Have fun! (And naturally, I'd recommend a Fleetwood. )
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard and good luck on your choice. You won't regret going with Winnebago. All things being equal they can hold their own with anyone. But like Dick above said, if you can work it into the budget, a pusher would be a better long term value, and would be a better overall platform for Full Timing....JMHO...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Well, if you want to go full nelson (as you say) I would have to suggest a DP for your platform. You'll be able to carry much more with you and tow more as well. Good luck in your search and hope you find the coach that works best for you. Oh, I guess I would recommend NEWMAR as my choice.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

Get someone with real owners experience to do a thorough inspection of any rig you look at. Take everything a salesman say with a grain of salt. Tires after 7 years need to be replaced (worn or not). Get everything in writing or run away. There are plenty of coaches out there that have been well cared for. Don't just look in your area and consider how the coach was used and stored. Generators need periodic use; a generator on a 5 year old coach with 100 hr on it is not a good sign. our rig 42k mi has 1100 hr on the genny. The chassis is the same as the genny on a dp. If someone says this or that rig has never had anything go wrong chances are they are lying. I don't live anywhere near the west coast but every bump in the road feels like an earthquake to the coach so test drive on a variety of roads to see what rattles. If a salesman says they all do that go elsewhere and see. REMEMBER if a salesman tells you something to assure you he/she most likely lied
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck and welcome. I agree with other that is you can swing a DP do it. You will be full timing and it should last you longer and will have more power. Just have fun!
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike! Welcome to IRV2! We're glad you joined the gang!

Hope the fulltiming works out good for you. Personally, I would go for a diesel pusher, even it that meant getting one a little older. JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #12

Hi and welcome to the forum,

What's your timeline? I'm a noob so take what I say with a grain of salt. I would recommend looking at Itascas as well at a minimum Get out there an look at as many units as you can. Hopefully there will be at least 2 similar units to the one that strikes your fancy. You'll see a few mods in some units you like. Make note of them (heck take cell phone pics). Take you and your better half if appicable. When you do find a unit you like. Try everything. Open every drawer. Look everywhere you can. Step in the shower and make sure you fit. Sit the way you would sit. Even if you won't use that chair much see how she fits. Get a unit that's mechanically sound. Try to get the history of the unit you like. Open up the registers and see if you can see dog fur if that type of thing is important to you. Remember every trade-in was lady driven only on sundays Being cynical to a point can help.

Remember TV from tube to flatscreen is easy. That should be a non-issue just build it into your mental price list. If the chairs on the dinette aren't nice there are furniture stores all over There will be some little "mods" and repairs you'll probably do like any new owner. Plan a little fund for those things.

If possible take a look under the unit look for rust, take a looksy at the roof if you can. Drive the thing, see how she handles.

Enjoy! Good luck.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #13

1) Recliner facing the TV.
2) Windows in the bed room for a cross breeze.
3) Counter space for meal prep.

These are the top 3 for me.

Have Fun!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote