Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
VT Newbie snowbirds (hopefully!)

My husband and I are leaving VT and heading for the Gulf coast of Fl for the winter. We've never made the trip before (although we've been camping for over 40 yrs!) and have no idea what the best route is for hauling a travel trailer (22'). Hoping for route suggestions. I am excited about finding this forum.

vtcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome. We're glad you joined us. Hope you have a great winter away from the snow and below freezing temps. Safe travels

Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2 I would just head down I-95 until you get to I10 or I4..You didn't say where in Florida you were going...Any whooo..
Keep Warm and Safe Travels... D
Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Red face best route to fla

i live in so.e mass and have driven to tampa bay and back with my 5th-truck the best route IMO is I84 toI81 toI77 toI26 toI95 toI10 i10 will take you to the panhandle if thats where you are headed. it is a little longer than using I95 but a much nicer ride and a whole lot less tolls and no big trafic problems. also with a tt the tunnel in baltimore on I95 dosen,t alow units with portable propane tanks that most tt carry. lee
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

From VT I would not take I-95 as in Baltimore area you will not be allowed through the Harbor Tunnel due to Propane restriction.

A nice ride would be to get on I-84 then, I-81 and then I-75 to Florida. It is a prettier ride and not so many trucks. You may be able to pickup I-81 with out going all the way to Scranton to get I-81 as It has been a long time since I went that way but definitely take I-81 to I-75.

Have a good ride!

2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P,Ford F-53, V-10
2011 Ford Escape,2000 Roadmaster Tow Dolly
"Have a Great Day, Enjoy RVing."
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Sorry I forgot to mention we're headed to the Gulf Coast about 2 hrs north of Tampa. Thank you for the suggestions - my husband doesn't mind but I don't like 95! We've got snow tonight so I guess we're headed out early next week before we get snowed in!! Definitely appreciate the help -
Old 10-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
We take the I 81,,,I 77,,,I 26,,,route on the way home in April but we leave in Dec and I am leary of the route heading down in the cold weather with the ice and snow on 81. Its a great route to avoid the DC and Baltimore area also its very scenic. Its about 4 hrs longer overall than the I 95 route,,,,,,Once in Florida take I 10west to I 75south.
07 Itasca Ellipse 40fd, 2014 Honda CRV, greyhound lab mix, pit pointer mix(RIP bessie) , shar pei mix, stupid cat, wife
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
We're leaving next week and hope to avoid the ice and snow on 81 - although it's snowing tonight so we may be "sliding" south!