Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #15

So we looked at a RV

Hey everyone! So we went and looked at a RV up in Sarasota which happens to be about an hour and a half north of where i live. Couldn't Pass this one up, The add stated "1978 Cham RV. Run good. $1200" So after talking with owner we went to take a look.

Turns out it is a 1978 Champion, I am still unsure about the model though. I immediately fell in love with the looks of the exterior. I am very partial to the vintage look of RV's. The interior wasn't the best, but it was workable. It had that smell of old wood and dirty carpet. Its amazing that the older rigs were so dark on the inside, made it feel so cramped even though it was a decent size. I was very impressed to find out that it was of steel construction, and even though it had a roof leak the roof was solid.

The engine was a Dodge 440, and it ran pretty good. We took it for a test drive, I was surprised how well it did for sitting for at least 4 years.

The lady we talked to told us we can have it for 1000, and if we didnt buy it, there was a guy (which was standing there, i thought he was her friend) was going to buy the motor for his race car...

Conclusion - I loved it, and saw the potential. If we had more time to prep we would of loved to have it. Unfortunately we decided to pass. The fact that the tires were about to crumble off, the interior needed fair amount of work, and the fact that it had been sitting to long got me nervous. It was an awesome deal for 1000, and it sickens me that it has to end up in RV heaven.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #16

With a price range of 1-2 thousand - the main thing I would be concerned about is finding an RV that is safe to travel around the country in with a family.

For that price you are going to find stuff much like you did with the RV above ^^ - leaking, in need of new tires (thousands of dollars there alone) and who knows what other things it will need. When traveling with a family you are going to be carrying much more weight (people, luggage, etc, especially with kids) than you would as a single person; which makes older RV's even more of a risk. You plan to sell your car and other things to obtain money for your trip; but will you be prepared for the RV to breakdown? Towing and repairs? A way to get your family home?

As a single person, this idea and price range is a lot more reasonable - but with a family... It seems un-logical. I say this with a heavy heart because I know what its like to have a Wanderlust heart and the need to just sell everything and go.

I do support you and wish you the best of luck... I just think you have a lot of things to think about and consider. A trip sounds amazing, but once you have sold everything, spent the money on the RV, and drive 300 miles to have it break down and need thousands in repairs; is it worth it then?

Be careful - and good luck!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #17

I feel like I must add a few things about buying a cheap RV. We know a vehicle like this will need work, and we aren't going to jump in the day we buy it and take off. We plan on spending at least 2k on whatever we buy and working on it for the next 2 months. Also, we don't plan on fully restoring whatever we end up getting. As long as it is safe, dry and we are able to comfortably live in it for six months or so, we will be happy. I have been working on campers and RV's the better part of my life, so i know my way around them and what to look for. We know problems will occur, but it is worth it to us.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Great price on that one if you were into restoring... It would probably take another $5000 to make it road-worthy... at least. I know you hated to let it go, but don't give up. You are probably in a good location to find a good deal.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRV View Post
I feel like I must add a few things about buying a cheap RV. We know a vehicle like this will need work, and we aren't going to jump in the day we buy it and take off. We plan on spending at least 2k on whatever we buy and working on it for the next 2 months. Also, we don't plan on fully restoring whatever we end up getting. As long as it is safe, dry and we are able to comfortably live in it for six months or so, we will be happy. I have been working on campers and RV's the better part of my life, so i know my way around them and what to look for. We know problems will occur, but it is worth it to us.
Ok good - that makes me feel a little better about everything.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!!! Cheers.