Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #1

Want to be RVers

We are hopefully close to being ready to dip our toes in the water and get our first trailer and tow vehicle. There are so many unknowns and the commitment is substantial $$.
My wife and I are considering a Ford F-150 3.7L with Eco Boost, super crew cab and a 6.5 ft bed. The trailer we are looking at is a Rockwood Signature Ultra Light fifth wheel 32 ft long weighing 8,345 lbs unloaded. I hope the vast experience of the members out there could give us some insight. We have been retired just over two years now and I feel this beautiful country of ours calling out to me. I have been camping most of my life mostly light camping with a tent. In my younger days I backpacked for short trips on the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail. My wife's idea of camping is a Holiday Inn. RVing seems like my best hope.
I hope to hear from some of you, thanks!
rhubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

I would say if you haven't read the post " tow vehicle sizing " I think it's the first one in the " Towing and tow vehicles " forums , that would be a good place to start.

There are some that may say the combination your looking at will work , but , JMHO. Not enough truck . 3/4 ton for a trailer that size, you could easily top 10,000 lbs loaded.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I am with Skip;
Do not look at towing capacity. That is a marketing wish number that has a bare truck with 6yo driving. Truck will only have options to increase towing and nothing in it. Not real life.

Find out the GCVW and subtract the dry weight of the truck. Subtract another 1500 lbs for passengers, fuel, hitch, toolbox and stuff. The weight that is left is approximately what you should be looking at. Actual weights would be better when you get close to buying.

Number of thread dealing with towing capacity. Too much truck is safer and more enjoyable no matter what the fellows who say theirs "tows good".
Old 04-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad you joined us.

I also agree with Skip, you may not have sufficient towing capacity.

Good luck with your search and Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck with your choice.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect RV for your needs! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club

I also agree with skip, I would rethink the truck. After doing it a few times I would not go under a 3/4 ton truck with that setup.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Have fun exploring

Welcome to IRV2 and have a great time. Tow vehicle rate weightings can bee miss leading. Do your homework. I wound definitely error on the safe side and getting a vehicle with a towing capacity that exceeded the weight of my camper.