Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #1

Wanting to hit the road

Hey All,
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction on this forum area. I have a 28 ft crossroads all american and am tired of it being the redneck guesthouse. Been talking to the wife about hitting the road for awhile. Where do I start. How much will it cost to travel monthly on average. I am retired military so we have a pension. Heard you can work your way through RV parks. So much time and so little knowledge lol.

Ranger Bob
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum!

You might use our search function and cruise through the full timers and work camping forums for information. There's tons of it out there.

The bottom line is that there is no single answer and the range of what RVers spend is very wide. Start with assumptions about how often and how far you want to pull up stakes and travel. That'll give you monthly mileage and you can make some assumptions about camp ground costs from that. Staying at least a week in each place usually results in lower nightly expense.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

You might want to look into camping at the military campgrounds since you are retired military. They have some great campground and are very reasonably prices. They even have one in Key West. You can purchase a book at Camping World that lists all the military campgrounds and the contacts. You can also find them online. Just Google "Military Campgrounds". Happy Trails
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #4

Can you stay at military campgrounds if you were prior enlisted?
mattholew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #5

Check this web site: U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks

My wife and I are retired DOD civilians and we are able to stay at some of the campgrounds. We have stayed at one in Key West and another in Seward, AK. It is up to the Base Commander as to who is allowed to stay in the campgrounds. We are near Mayport Naval Base near Jacksonville, FL. I have been told that it is a wonderful campground. We called and they said that we could stay there. Only problem is... because of security we are not allowed to drive the motorhome onto the base. However, just up the coast at the Kings Bay submarine base we can stay. Go Figure.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the link. According to that link Veterans with Honorable Discharge are NOT allowed to use the campgrounds. That sucks.
mattholew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #7

Again, it is up to the Base Commander. They may even allow non-military service civilians to use the facilities. I served no military time whatsoever. I did work as a civilian for the DOD for 37 years. That enables us to camp at some of the military facilities.

You may want to call around to some of the campgrounds where you might want to stay and see what they say.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #8

We stayed at a campground at Camp Pendleton. I was a little disappointed because it was as much money as a campground off base. It wasn't maintained well, no sewer hookup and dry grass. We stayed there with my son-in law who had his motorhome next to ours. We were only allowed to stay there because we were his guests. They should make it cheaper for our active and retired military. I wouldn't expect to stay at a military base because I got out after four years.

I can tell you one thing Camp Pendleton has changed alot. But I was stationed there for a short time in 1968.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome rangerbob, thanks for your service to our country.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote