Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #1

Water leaking

I purchased a 2015 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS in March of 2015. I was wondering what the warranty was for water leaking. This morning I noticed water coming off of the sun visor. When I got home, I looked at the sleeping area over the front seats and noticed everything was soaked. I have taken out the cushions to let them dry and cleaned up all of the standing water. I cannot see where the water is coming through, but suspect it is right behind the front cap. I have Muscular Dystrophy and cannot get on the roof to inspect further. The reason I am asking is I seem to remember getting an email from the dealer I purchased the motor home from about 3 months ago stating something about roof leaks not being covered after 3 months and to be sure to check for any signs. At that time, I couldn't find anything. I am just hoping that I am not going to be stuck with a large bill on a motor home that is 6 months old. I am taking it in for some warranty work in a couple of weeks and am going to have them look at this problem too. Otherwise, I absolutely love this model.
kjrmhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Hope you get your leak fixed quickly!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Possibility a Seam is uncaulked or deteriorated. I would get a friend or hire a local mobile Rv Tech to access and reseal any seams so it does not get worst. Have someone look at that you trust Before going to the Dealer. Have them take Pictures.

Then Call Coachman customer service and discuss what is Covered....... don't always depend on a dealer.

Stand Firm with coachman.

Sealants and Inspection.
While inspecting the roof during cleaning, it is also important to check the lap sealant used in all termination areas. Inspect the existing sealant around all accessories and fasteners for signs of cracking or voids. If additional sealant is needed, please contact Yvonne Christian at 1-800-462-4698. Please note ONLY ALPHA SUPPLIED SEALANTS CAN COME IN CONTACT WITH THE

Simply call 1-574-825-7000 or email ownerrelations@forestriverinc.com.

Warranty
WARRANTY COVERAGE

SUMMARY OF WARRANTY: Forest River Inc., 55470 CR 1, P.O. Box 3030, Elkhart, Indiana 46515-3030 (Warrantor) warrants to the ORIGINAL CONSUMER PURCHASER ONLY, when purchased from an authorized Forest River Inc. dealer, for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase (Warranty Period), that the body structure of this recreational vehicle shall be free of substantial defects in materials and workmanship attributable to Warrantor.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your leaking roof. If its a 2015 model I would think that water leakage is covered, in fact there should be a bumper to bumper warranty for the first year. Nothing worse than spending a lot of money and having to deal with problems like a leaking roof. Imagine buying a house and in the first week it rains and your roof leaks. No way would anyone accept that, but somehow in the build of a new rig we seem to accept all the problems that come with a new rig. I know if I were thinking of a new rig, I would buy one that's a few years old and let the first owner take the hit on depreciation and spend the time getting the thing fixed. JMHO
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

I just called the dealer and they told me that sealers are covered for 30 days only. If it is anything else, it should be covered. What are the chances that it is not a sealant issue? And if it is a sealant issue, could my wife get on the roof and reseal around the front cap? I am assuming it is there because water is only overhead in the sleeping area. Doesn't seem right that it would not be covered regardless of how the water is getting inside.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Get it into a service centre and have a qualified tech look at it. That's bizarre that seals aren't covered after 30 days. Guess buyers should do a saturation test before accepting their new rigs. You can use https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...icereviews.com to find a decent service centre near you. I tell you what.....if I owned a RV sales centre and someone who had just spent a lot of his hard earned money to buy a new rig, I would make sure that when he phoned with a problem like your describing, have him into a service bay as soon as possible to figure the problem out. Good luck with this.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrmhr View Post
I just called the dealer and they told me that sealers are covered for 30 days only. If it is anything else, it should be covered. What are the chances that it is not a sealant issue? And if it is a sealant issue, could my wife get on the roof and reseal around the front cap? I am assuming it is there because water is only overhead in the sleeping area. Doesn't seem right that it would not be covered regardless of how the water is getting inside.
Your dealer just doesn't want to fool with it. Get in touch with the factory rep and make the work on it. No excuse for garbage.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
Your dealer just doesn't want to fool with it. Get in touch with the factory rep and make the work on it. No excuse for garbage.
Ditto................ Call Coachman!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #11

Thank you everyone for all of your help with people to contact, phone numbers, etc. Coachmen actually seemed surprised that my dealer would tell me that sealants were not covered. I was told to get it into the dealer and have them call Coachmen (the gentleman I spoke to even gave me his direct number) and he would set them straight. i guess there wasn't anything to worry about, but if I had taken the dealers word for it, I might have been out quite a few dollars. Again, thank you all. It is really appreciated. I will let you know what was done and if the problem is solved. (I think I am going to take one of your members advice and do a saturation test on the motor home when I get it back)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0029.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	105779  
Old 09-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #12

hope you get your issues resolved so you can enjoy your rig ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Good Luck!!!
&
Happy Rving!!!!

CC
Old 09-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #14

OK, one last question and then I will know everything you need to know about RVing (yeah right). We are planning to tow out Harley Trike on a 5X8 trailer. I have not purchased a trailer yet and was wondering if I needed to get a trailer with brakes, either surge or electric. The trike is just under 1000 pounds. I didn't know if it was law in some states to have brakes on anything you are pulling. And, the motor home is in the dealer for the water intrusion problem now, so I will let you know the outcome when I pick it up.

Tags
leak, water, water leak