Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #15

Hello All, Mike I called that number to Shurflo and they told me i needed to replace the entire pump, something to do with the electronics inside. My pump was manufactured in 05 so there is no set screw to adjust, and that its a matter of time before it goes out completely. So I guess I need to shop around for a good deal on a pump LOL.. Thank you all for you suggestions and assistance in this matter, you are a great and helpful group of people.. Thank You.

Andy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #16

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS, and SAFE TRAVELS to those visiting families or just traveling abroad...

deputybulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #17

I bought a spare off eBay. Do a search there on "shurflo 5.7" and you'll find several with prices varying by over $50.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #18

Only similar problem we've had, was when there was trapped air in the lines, and/or the water heater wasn't completely filled with water - doesn't take much of an air reservoir to make an RV pump keep running - be sure to purge ALL hot and cold water lines, the heater, and any outside lines such as outside shower...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are positive the noise is coming from the pump, and I suspect that it is, then I would say that your pressure switch inside the pump head is not completely shutting off the pump when the pressure builds up. The pump would make a different sound when it finally builds up pressure and continues to try to pump against that pressure.

Either remove and disassemble the pump switch and repair or replace it. Probably easier to replace the entire pump assembly.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #20

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
In their infinite wisdom, ShurFlo provides no replacement parts to the internal workings of the 5.7. The 5.7 has been problematic to many NuWa owners. Some have replaced the 5.7 with other models, while others just keep replacing problem pumps within the three year warranty period.
When mine failed, I was able to do an even exchange at Camping World since the pump manufacture date was within the 3 year window.

Mine was easy to change out but if you're not near a CW and can't wait 3 weeks for Shurflo to send you a warranty replacement, keeping a spare on hand isn't a bad idea.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #21

thank you.. This may seem to be a silly question but, how do you bleed the entire system to insure no air pockets??? I've run the pump and turned on all faucets, but thats probly not the way to do it. I would like to try it before making a purchase for another one. They did tell me to go to pplmotorhomes.com to buy a new one, they have them for 145.00, i will also check ebay. Another question is, if they are having problems with this particular model pump, any suggestions for a differant brand that has the same pumping power? Thanks again in advance.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
There will always be an air pocket in the top of the water heater. This is for expansion when the heater is turned on and the water, at the sink, is turned off. If you have closed off the output of the pump and still have movement of the pump there is either a bypass leak within the pump or possibly some sort of slippage of the drive line within the pump. If you are not sure take it out and put it on a bench and check it out, take the RV out of the equation.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #23

thats accually a good idea flagel. If i hook a hose to each end, one in a bucket of water and a nozzel on the other hose i should beable to shoot water and when i stop, the pump should also stop. if it don't then it internal. if it does, then its somewhere with in the r.v... hmmmm. will try that.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
No.......The output needs to be sealed, after you are sure the pump is primed. Let the output hose go back into the bucket of water. When the pump reaches its design pressure it should stop turning. You do not turn it off. If the pump turns and nothing is leaking out the hose it is inside the pump.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #25

Ok thank you Flagel, I will do that tomorrow and let you know the results.. I am hoping it IS the pump and not some internal issue.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #26

Some 5.7's came installed w/a flex hose on each end to isolate the pump vibration from the plumbing. If you have a flex hose on the output, just use hose pinchers on that hose & see if the pump shuts off.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:59 AM   #27

Shurflo had to redesign the 5.7 a few years ago because the vendor for their pressure sensor went out of business. The new design has caused some problems, but it is my understanding that pumps mfg. the last few months are ok.

I have had very good luck dealing directly with Shurflo.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybulmer View Post
Hi all.. I am new to this site, so not sure how to manuver around yet, but hope its pretty easy. I have a 36' 2006 Mobil suite by Double Tree. I have been having problems with my water pump constantly running even when water valves are turned off. It doesn't run or make the same noise it does when the valves are open. its a quieter humming sound. I still have decent pressure, checked for any leaks and doesn't appear to be any. The pump is a shurflow 5.7 model #5900-0201. Anyone have any suggestions on how to stop it, or maybe need to bleed it, something.. Thank you.

Andy
As a service manager for a large rv dealer, I ran into this problem several times. Your pump is a solid state controlled device. It runs slow if one faucet is barely open, and runs fast if a couple are opened. These controllers go bad and will sit there and just hum when they are shut off. To find out if this is your problem, open the faucet and make sure you have a smooth normal flow. (no Air) If the flow is correct, next shut the outlet flow off. Do this by putting a plug in the outlet port or closing off the outlet line with a pair of locking pliers. With the flow shut off completly, the noise should stop. If you still hear the noise, It is for sure the controller. I believe this pump has a three year warrenty. Remember the warrenty is from date of sale of the camper,not the pump manuf. date. If this pump is in date, The dealer willl swap it out for you.