Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
Red face Water Tanks Cleaning - Alternative to Bleach

Hi Everyone,

New to this site. We just bought our first TT and am wondering if anyone has heard of or used Grapefruit Seed Extract to sanitize their fresh water tank.

I've been told I need to do that before we use for the first time. I've read many threads - some do, some don't. Some use bleach, some say bleach is bad for the rubber seals, etc.

A friend say to use Grapefruit Seed Extract. I googled it and it seems to be effective. But not sure it's OK to use in a TT system. Since we just got this unit, I don't want to mess it up. But if I did not have to use bleach, I would be very happy.

Any thoughts, input would be appreciated.

jcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
I have not heard of using GSE but the amount of bleach needed to sanitize the tank will not hurt either the seals of you, especially if you follow the procedure and rinse the tank and lines one or more times.

If you really don't want to use bleach, look into using Hydrogen Peroxide. Since it is safe to put in your mouth straight from the bottle, it should be safe in your water tank.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Judy,

My husband and I used bleach to cleanse ours and have had no issues, you don't use much. Took all smells out and we were comfortable with use since then.

One thing we did learn that you might want to keep in mind. When between use and rig is sitting, make sure to drain the water out of the hot water heater. CG water often has bacteria in it and it can make a terrible rotten egg smell in your water that you again have to bleach out. Draining the hot water heater between uses keeps this from happening.

When we cloroxed our plumbing we did the holding tank too. Put the Clorox in, went for a drive to swish the treated water around and then drained it. Filled it again went for another drive and drained it again. Did that 3 times just to make sure it was all gone.

Good luck with your cleaning. Lynne
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Judy! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I never heard of that! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
1/4 CUP per 15 gallons of water.......so pretty diluted solution

Hydrogen peroxide........to be as effective as bleach you would need to use 1 pint per 1 gallon of water

GSE.......very good disinfectant but expensive. 1 oz bottle per 6 gallons at $11 for 2 oz bottle.
My fresh water is 70 gallons.......would cost me $68 in GSE

That is why majority use bleach....cheap/effective

I only do the sanitation thing when I first purchase (new and used) and then IF (IF) I have an issue
Seeing as I don't fill my tank with untreated water I don't have issues
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
Thanks Old Biscuit. I didn't know the proportion of GSE and yes, it's expensive. I'm OK with bleach for the first time just to be sure it's sanitized. I bought a good two filter water system to filter the water before it goes into the holding tank. I will be sure to drain totally in between trips. I hope to keep the tanks fresh and sweet as I try really hard not to tote the bottled water.

jcarol is offline   Reply With Quote

tank, water