Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #1

My husband and i have always wanted a camper and now are in the market to get one. We have 2 kids (who want bunkbeds ages 4,6 LOL) and we have a 2008 Avalanche engine 5.3 liter V8
we are wondering if anyone could help us figure out what would be the best rv for us. we do not want a pop up and would like one with slide outs. Any suggestions would be great.

thank you
Lelly
lelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #2

My husband and i have always wanted a camper and now are in the market to get one. We have 2 kids (who want bunkbeds ages 4,6 LOL) and we have a 2008 Avalanche engine 5.3 liter V8
we are wondering if anyone could help us figure out what would be the best rv for us. we do not want a pop up and would like one with slide outs. Any suggestions would be great.

thank you
Lelly
Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Welcome to IRV2 Lelly,

Your options are nearly endless with your vehicle, as long as you stay within the towing limits for your Avalance...2WD models with Heavy-Duty Trailering Package is 8100 pounds.

You can tow anything from the ultralite hybrids to a well equipted Sidney Outback. Put on some comfortable shoes and hit the RV shows.

Do not jump on the first one you fall in love with because we are in a buyer's market and many options available to meet your familys' needs.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner

First, welcome to iRV2. Now to the RV...
You need to determine which axle you have in your truck.

With the Avalanche you can only pull travel trailers and not 5th wheel trailers.

Next you need to see what the GVWR and GCWR are on your truck and axle combination.

Come back with some more information and we'll help out more.

For starters, slide outs add weight. Practically your your Avalanche (1/2 ton truck) you will be limited to a 24 to maybe a 26' long trailer. The bunk beds may not be possible in this size trailer.

A good website to learn all about towing, ratings and how to calculate whet you can tow is Ken Lenger.

You need to understand weights and ratings before you start shopping seriously. The FIRST rule of RV shopping is ...NEVER believe the RV sales person.

The SECOND rule of RV shopping is...RV sales people lie.

The sales person is not your friend and he is not there to educate you and keep you from buying too much trailer for your truck. He is going to push you to the largest trailer he can get you into and will tell you that the truck will pull it like it wasn't even behind you.

Take your time and DO NOT let the sales person pressure you into a fast "today only deal". With the current economy, it is a buyers market and there are plenty of RV's available.

Hope to see you back with questions....

On edit:"Your options are nearly endless with your vehicle, as long as you stay within the towing limits for your Avalance...2WD models with Heavy-Duty Trailering Package is 8100 pounds."

The 8100# is a MAXIMUM based on a properly equipped truck, and a base model with only a 150# driver, no cargo, no accessories, and no hitch. Every pound you add over the base model reduces the towing capacity.

SO you need to get the capacities based on your 5.3L engine and the axle you have. The Avalanche is heavy, so you will need to watch the loaded truck and the available payload capacity and hitch weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
lelly,

Welcome to iRV2 You've come to the best rv forums on the net. We're glad you found us & happy you're jumping into the camping family.

We have a very active group of members from C/NE OH, W PA & W NY that get together quite often throughout the season. Please check out the North Central & Pond Piggie forums for our whereabouts. We'd love to have you joing us sometime.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a fully closed TT (travel trailer) with bunks & slides that your Avalanche can safely tow. Since you don't want a pop-up, you might want to consider a hybrid style of TT. With a hybrid, you have the advantage of hard-sided living/dining space with beds that slide out on the ends. Something along the lines of an Aerolite Cub could probably even get you a single slide within the limits of your tow vehicle.

There will be other members, much more knowledgeable about towing than I, who will chime in here to help you figure out what your limits are. Listen to their advice. They will guide you & make sure that the camper you get will be both enjoyable & safe for you & your family.

Good luck with your search. Half the fun is in the shopping. One thing you might want to do (I see you are from OH) is to attend an rv show. For example, right now, there is one going on at the Ohio State Fairgrounds & there will be another (RV's only) show there, again, in March. There are many going on around the state this time of year. For details, check out the posts about the rv shows in the North Central forum.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #6

Wow thanks for all of the fast responses. Well my hubby says that our rear axel is a 3.73 and has autoride if that is important. our GVWR 7200 and the GCWR 14000. Truck came equiped with the factory HD trailer package.

some of the ones we were looking at online were the Spree 289KS four bunks king slide. Dutchman 29J-GS with the Jack and Jill bunks. Then there was one which we were not sure if we could do RV Laredo 291TG it has an outdoor kitchen . OUr son has food allergies and that extra kitchen would be great for preparing things that are not safe for him. Thanks again if there is anything else that you need let me know and i will try to answer the questions.
We are not in a hurry just beginning our process and were a little overwhelmed with all of the options and things to look at. Also if there are extra things that look cool but really dont work well or typical options that are not really needed. OR, i would love to know options that you have that you could not live without.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
The Laredo is 6800 pounds. If you have the 2wd vehicle you should be able to handle the load with prudent packing. The Passport and Outbacks also have outdoor kitchens if my memory serves me correct.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #8

You might take a look at the Sunset Trail by Thor. Here's a couple of links for you. http://www.crossroadsrv.com/li...st&type=TT&fp=ST30BH

http://www.wanarv.com/rv/detail.cfm?id=362
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Lelly, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of all the adventures and experiences you will have in your rv. It looks like you have gotten some good suggestions so, take your time and enjoy the hunt. Keep us posted as to what you have for the final choices.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lelly, Welcome glad to have you here. We also were new just over a year ago and found this site to be quite helpful when deciding on our purchase. Many knowledgeable people here. Take your time and you will definately find a rig for you and the family. Be sure to check the actual weight of the unit you are interested in, ususlly found on an inside cabinet door, you will find the unit usually weighs more than stated in the brochures. Again Welcome and enjoy your search. Please keep us informed of your decision and travels.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello | New Members »