Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

Western Canada check in -

Being newly retired, my wife and I have been keeping a watchful eye on 'diesel pusher' motorhomes the last year or so, and have a good eye on what we'd 'like' but with pricing as it is, may have to consider something less. Not sure if that would lead to a regret, or if spending more than your budgeting for is more advantageous? Considerations need to be met since my wife is a spendthrift, although health reasons mean we should get 'on the road' sooner, rather than later. As most Canadians would know, most motorhomes come up in the U.S. and with our $$ being nearly 35% lower...adding that 35% to the price, and then another 12% in taxes adds to the conundrum, so there may be tips and advantages somewhere in there we have yet to come across.
Also, that's looking in the '08 - '09 build year, as after looking at all the makes/models out there we like the floor plan of the 36'-37' Tiffin Allegro Bus.
We could, of course go with an older unit, albeit the 36' in the bus came out in '08 by what I'm seeing.
Personally a 40' would be fine for me, but my wife is fairly insistent on the 36' thinking it will be easier to find spots in RV Parks/campsites, as well as a little lower cost on ferries (remember, spenthrift!)

I'm wondering if there are specific tax breaks in specific U.S. states, where one can save a few $$ as well? Again, when it comes to taxes, the 12% will have to be paid at the border before coming into Canada (where we live) but is there a state tax as well? What is a round # of insurance cost on a diesel pusher motorhome, as I haven't come across that yet either? So many considerations and things to learn....but we're hoping to find one soon, and get on with this lifestyle, probably trying it out for a month to start with, as well as local road trips, then moving up to longer trips.

Sorry for the long ramble...but there are also 'so' many questions and considerations!

Thanks for any advice/suggestions in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

Go with a 40 ft, many more units to choose from. Anywhere you go or park a 37 you can do with 40 as well.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
There are a lot of M/H for sale in Canada so why hassle with the border and all the extra cost by importing one into Canada.

We bought ours in Canada and with a few changes have been very happy with my M/H.

Some of the best sales yard in B.C. is in the Kelowna area (Enterprise RV)

Just check your back yard as deals can be made closer than you think. Good luck on your choice.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Can't help with your questions but would like to welcome you to the site and wish you happy travels when you do purchase a rig. If you ever land in CA be sure to send a wave out.
jmzumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
There are a lot of M/H for sale in Canada so why hassle with the border and all the extra cost by importing one into Canada.

We bought ours in Canada and with a few changes have been very happy with my M/H.

Some of the best sales yard in B.C. is in the Kelowna area (Enterprise RV)

Just check your back yard as deals can be made closer than you think. Good luck on your choice.
Thanks....we basically have a couple in mind, as we know the brand (Tiffin) and a Phaeton or Allegro Bus, but they seem to be few and far between in Canada. I did see one in the summer, but it was priced higher than many others in the same year, and we're not trying to rush it, with so much to learn on getting into the RV lifestyle.
I would imagine when I 'Google' the model/brand that Canadian unit's would come up? There seems to be more of course in Ontario/Quebec, and I'd consider those as well of course.

Tags
ada, canada