Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5
whadda great forum!!

I've been trolling the forum for some time and the participation and support is just amazing.
I'm shopping for my first motorhome...reading all the reports and opinions and I'm still a little stumped as to which unit to buy.
I live in Nashville, TN and I'll be running back and forth to Florida to see my grandbabies and ride my motorcycle more than anything so I'll be pulling a trailer and/or a toad most of the time. I'll also be taking a few trips to Kansas and Texas but won't be taking the toad or bike out there.
I've pretty much ruled out a class C because my DW (picked that up here...the phrase, not the DW) doesn't like the floor plan...so I'm hunting a class A. There will only ever be two of us traveling...so I don't have to have the biggest coach on the market.
I own a trucking company so I'm very familiar with Diesel engines...and how to make them hum...but I'm not married to having one unless you experts recommend it...

SO PLEASE.....I'm thinking something between 31-36 feet that can tow around 5000 pounds....and is priced around $40K - $60K to start out and see how this thing goes. So if you were me.......what would it be?

Thanks in advance!! You guys are a great source of information and I appreciate your feedback.
__________________

__________________
g3truks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,032
Welcome to iRV2.

Kind of stuck on Class A , diesel pushers myself, and I think that's about what my current coach would sell for in the USA ( $40,000)and it's tow capacity.

I'd ask how often you plan to travel, miles per year , and how far your average trip might be.
__________________

__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
AKOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Alaska
Posts: 277
Your question is a little like opening Pandora's Box of opinions. Myself, like everyone else is partial to a Class and Brand. When I was in the market, my search was very specific as to make and year. Why? From past experience with owning a Class A gas, test driving multiple DPs, aesthetics, etc. First priority was road manners -- a poor handling coach adds a level of excitement that I rather live without (there are many "white knuckle" post on this forum). Been there done that. A pleasure to drive a must. Second, the coaches Net Carrying Capacity -- manufactures are notorious for producing coaches that are so heavy that there is no room for any of your stuff. Coaches that are too heavy tend to break, not to mention safety. Many of the other priorities are aesthetic in nature.

Is my Alpine Coach perfect? The answer is a simple no. Does it meet my expectations in the two important areas list above? That answer is also simple, it certainly does. The handling, brakes and power will run circles around my previous Airstream.

Welcome to iRV2, your adventure is just beginning
__________________
Tim & Ruth
Alpine Coach 1999 40FDS, 350 ISC
Project Restoration
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 23,035
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.
I'd ask how often you plan to travel, miles per year , and how far your average trip might be.
I plan to use it a lot. Probably 2-4 trips per year to Florida at about 1200 miles round trip, 3 trips per year to Kansas and Texas at around 1500-2000 miles per trip.....and one trip to California according to the wife/boss at around 4000 miles round trip. Likely to have around 15,000 to 18,000 the first year.
I see you have the Cat engine. How is that working out for you? I have series 60 Detroit engines in my trucks but only see them in coaches that are out of my desired price range. I'm familiar with Cummins but the Cats seem to be a little tougher over time.
Thanks for your response!
__________________
g3truks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Your question is a little like opening Pandora's Box of opinions.
Is my Alpine Coach perfect? The answer is a simple no. Does it meet my expectations in the two important areas list above? That answer is also simple, it certainly does. The handling, brakes and power will run circles around my previous Airstream.

Welcome to iRV2, your adventure is just beginning
I hoped to open Pandora's box!! LOL...Thanks for your input. This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for as weight and towing capacity are important factors for us. I haven't researched Alpine yet but I will now...I did look at an Airstream gas and it was a great looking coach but just not enough power or tow capacity for us. I'm thinking I may need to focus on a DP and call it a day. Thanks again!
__________________
g3truks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim T.'s Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3truks View Post
I've been trolling the forum for some time and the participation and support is just amazing.
I'm shopping for my first motorhome...reading all the reports and opinions and I'm still a little stumped as to which unit to buy.
I live in Nashville, TN and I'll be running back and forth to Florida to see my grandbabies and ride my motorcycle more than anything so I'll be pulling a trailer and/or a toad most of the time. I'll also be taking a few trips to Kansas and Texas but won't be taking the toad or bike out there.
I've pretty much ruled out a class C because my DW (picked that up here...the phrase, not the DW) doesn't like the floor plan...so I'm hunting a class A. There will only ever be two of us traveling...so I don't have to have the biggest coach on the market.
I own a trucking company so I'm very familiar with Diesel engines...and how to make them hum...but I'm not married to having one unless you experts recommend it...

SO PLEASE.....I'm thinking something between 31-36 feet that can tow around 5000 pounds....and is priced around $40K - $60K to start out and see how this thing goes. So if you were me.......what would it be?

Thanks in advance!! You guys are a great source of information and I appreciate your feedback.

I'm originally from Nashville. Drive down to Huntsville, go to Bankston RV, look at their used inventory of Tiffin coaches. Tiffins are manufactured in Red Bay AL, which makes it convenient for factory service. Good luck.
__________________
Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
I'm originally from Nashville. Drive down to Huntsville, go to Bankston RV, look at their used inventory of Tiffin coaches. Tiffins are manufactured in Red Bay AL, which makes it convenient for factory service. Good luck.
Thanks Jim. They have a small lot just for sales here in Nashville but they only keep about 7-8 units there. I'll run down to Huntsville and check them out. Thanks for the advice I've been looking at Tiffins already.
__________________
g3truks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3truks View Post
I plan to use it a lot. Probably 2-4 trips per year to Florida at about 1200 miles round trip, 3 trips per year to Kansas and Texas at around 1500-2000 miles per trip.....and one trip to California according to the wife/boss at around 4000 miles round trip. Likely to have around 15,000 to 18,000 the first year.
I see you have the Cat engine. How is that working out for you? I have series 60 Detroit engines in my trucks but only see them in coaches that are out of my desired price range. I'm familiar with Cummins but the Cats seem to be a little tougher over time.
Thanks for your response!
Driving a lot of highway miles often during the year, JMHO: Drive both a gas chassis Class A then a Diesel Pusher. You go for a DP.
I did 14 years of Dodge Cummins work prior to retirement , Cat fuel system was a huge change, but into my 7th season now . Fresh oil and clean fuel keep the Cat purring.
Newmar , builds Dutch stars on Freightliner and Spartan chassis , and in my coaches vintage the usual set up is Freightliner / Cat, or Spartan/ Cummins.
Spartan Chassis has a higher tow rating 10,000 lbs, and IFS. My particular model had a base CCC of 5,000 lbs , but options brought that down to 3,700.
Even traveling with water tank full and basement stuffed , I have 1,000lbs cushion.
The 3126B Cat and the ISC . Cummins were rated at 300 HP. ISC has 200 ft.lbs more torque.
On California interstates , where I'm limited to 55 MPH; due to the toad; I'll travel at 58 to keep the transmission in 6th. With no wind to contend with my best fuel economy has been 9.5 MPG. Overall since I purchased the coach 8.3.
Haven't checked, USA , pricing on coaches similar to mine in over a year; but I'm sure they would be in your range.
Good luck with your search .

EDIT: BTW, DW , walked through the coach when we were shopping and said" Buy this one !"
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jim T.'s Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3truks View Post
Thanks Jim. They have a small lot just for sales here in Nashville but they only keep about 7-8 units there. I'll run down to Huntsville and check them out. Thanks for the advice I've been looking at Tiffins already.

Over the years, I've owned 2 Tiffins, 2 Winnebagos & 1 Newmar. Both Tiffins & Winnebagos were pre-owned, Newmar was new. All were gas. Presently have the Newmar, a '13 Canyon Star 40'. Love it. Quality construction & superb customer support from Newmar.
__________________
Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Driving a lot of highway miles often during the year, JMHO: Drive both a gas chassis Class A then a Diesel Pusher. You go for a DP.
Looks like that's where I'm headed....if DW approves of the interior....My cousin has a Cat in his coach, 10 years old now and no complaints...and they put a lot of miles on it. Thanks for the great advice....it's a big help!
__________________

__________________
g3truks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forum



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD, whadda ya think? Electra 225 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 15 01-01-2015 07:23 AM
Whadda ya call a reverse snowbird? Raining Star iRV2.com General Discussion 87 04-28-2013 09:24 PM
Great deal on Great Ipod control dgerstel MH-General Discussions & Problems 0 05-08-2009 10:26 AM
Great Forum sgtjoe New Member Check-In 3 05-30-2008 11:01 PM
A GREAT FORUM, A GREAT COACH AND ALOT OF GREAT PEOPLE HERE so... RVRONINPA Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 3 12-19-2007 03:32 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.