Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Talking What Am I About to Do?

Well folks,

We will be picking up a 2006 Winnebago 38J Adventurer on Friday, April 13th. Talk about taking fate into our hands. LOL Never so much as owned a tent but we decided we would jump into the pond 2 feet, 2 arms, a head and a cinder block tied to our ankles.

Our general plan is to use the next year or so to learn all about it and ourselves. At that point we plan to retire and HIT THE ROAD JACK! It gives a a chance to learn all we can to make that happen instead of waiting to the last minute and learn on the road. I also have the greatest father-in-law that has a lot of RV experience and will have a camp spot across the road from him for the next year. We know a lot of the campers there and know we are in good company.

We were thinking of waiting until later this year or early next spring but we really loved the floor plan of this RV and from all the research I have done, we got a pretty good price making it worth taking the plunge now. As we prepare to pick it up I am just starting to realize all the STUFF we have to get to run a second house. WHEW!

While it was really tempting to scrape some more money together for a DP, we couldn't find one with this nice of a floor plan for the money we wanted to invest in a depreciating asset. Granted the test drives we did on a couple DPs was tempting, we just didn't like those floor plans and the Winnebago just seems to have a lot of good features. If we determine that going full time for an extended period is what we want to do, we can consider upgrading but this rig really has a lot to offer for us and out 2 German Shepherds.

I'm going through the internal debate of extended service warranty or not and also whether to add the RV to my AARP/Hartford auto policy or take out a separate RV insurance. If I use my AARP I save about $500 over most of the stand alone quotes. That is a good chuck of change that I might use towards the ESW. SOOO MANY CHOICES. :bang head:

So, I assume that many of you have gone through this "What the heck and I doing" phase and came out on the other side wiser, hopefully happier, maybe a big poorer, but decidedly content with the decision. I'm hoping that will be our experience some where down the proverbial road.

Don & Sandee.
Urbana, IL

The attached photo is not the exact rig but is the right color scheme. My photos of my rig are in need of help. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showimagerv.ashx.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	19725  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Very Nice. Congrats, and welcome to the club!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice looking rig!

I think you made a good decision. The floor plan is the most important item in choosing an RV.

My thoughts on an extended warranty would be to instead put the monthly payment for that warranty in the bank.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Don & Sandee! Welcome to IRV2! We're really happy to have you join the group here! Congrats on the new rig! We too took that plunge to a Class A about a month ago after 10 years in a 5er! It's a scary feeling, wondering if you did the right thing! Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #5

Nice rig. I totally agree that floorplan is huge, and it's a very personal choice.

Steve
Old 04-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Don and Sandee! Glad you joined us. Getting your rig now and having the chance to get out and test everything and get used to it is a wise move. Enjoy your travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Nice looking rig!

My thoughts on an extended warranty would be to instead put the monthly payment for that warranty in the bank.
Well first off, they are not a "warranty" unless they come from the original vehicle manufacturer. They are a service policy (contract) and cover ONLY what they say they will.
Lots of stories around about people that thought they had bumper to bumper coverage only to find out nothing that went wrong was covered and they wasted their money.
Personally we self insure and have saved a bunch that way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Personally we self insure and have saved a bunch that way.
That is why I haven't committed to a policy yet. I'm a poker play and understand the concept of odds. Problem is that I don't have enough information to figure the "pot odds" yet. The only thing I know is that these folks don't write policies to loose money. LOL

I'm thinking of taking out a 1-2 year policy to get me through my initial learning curve and at the same time I will build a maintanance fund. Maybe that is a little bit like suspenders and belts?

Still thinking this out. THANKS!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the great rig.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #10

Ours is a 94/95, but we paid cash and its OURS till we want to trade UP.Figure out what will be the most important, besides money to vacation LOTS AND LOTS! WOO HOO!

Thats the nice thing about rv's tho, you can always trade UP, if you think you bit off more than you can comfortably chew. We are HAPPY campers, and Thats ALL THAT MATTERS. Same with you! Good luck, safe travels and happy trails to YOU!

Sincerely, Sandy and John
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #11

oh, P.S.-Gorgeous Coach! Congradulations!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We've been very happy with AARP/Hartford for insurance coverage. Like you, we saved about $600-800 on the policy. You'll hear lots of opinions, but we compared line-for-line what they cover - and found it to be as good or better than the "specialty" RV insurance companies.

There's a lot to do to outfit a second home - we're still working on all that - and have a ways to go.

Happy trails, Thud Driver, and thanks for your service!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post

Happy trails, Thud Driver, and thanks for your service!
Thank you for YOUR service.

Just for clarification:

With all respect for the magnificent machine and crew, I was not a pilot of one. However, I am the last Air Traffic Controller to ever work a manned F-105 flight as it was flown into the Chanute, IL AFB (now closed) to become a display at it's museum. My bit of aviation history.

I was USAF from 73-79 with a stint in the 5th Mob out of Warner Robins, GA AFB and then 4 years of ATC duties at Selfridge, MI ANGB as active duty. Between that I started out as a combat controller but one bad jump (knees) and off to Selfridge I went.

Love the century series jets and was fortunate to get rides in both the F100 (Super Sabre/Lead Sled) and the F106. I've also had the fun of riding in P3s, HH3, OV10, F4 simulator, C130, H52 (Coast Guard) and FIFI (B29 Super Fortress).
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #14

PSS: Sandy-USN Vet and John