Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2005, 09:53 PM   #1

Another newbie question...We're going to the RV Show in northern CA next week. I'm sure all of the RV groups such as Good Sam and Passport America will be there. As potentian full timers, what club/group should we join for maximum benefits and maximum discounts...I would think Good Sam is an obvious choice - what else?

Re-tredded Newbies lookin' forward to seeing the USA at a more leisurely pace!
Horsevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2005, 09:53 PM   #2

Another newbie question...We're going to the RV Show in northern CA next week. I'm sure all of the RV groups such as Good Sam and Passport America will be there. As potentian full timers, what club/group should we join for maximum benefits and maximum discounts...I would think Good Sam is an obvious choice - what else?

Re-tredded Newbies lookin' forward to seeing the USA at a more leisurely pace!
Horsevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:22 AM   #3

To; Horseface ;

As to what groups to join ?

Good Sam is an RV owners club consisting of local chapters of all rv owners. The chapters have monthly campouts, eatouts and can get involved in rv issues. I think Good Sam is the largest membership club because they have members with pop-ups up to $1,000,000,000.00 motorcoaches.

You did not indicate which type, not class, of rv you have!

Another large membership association is the FAMILY MOTOR COACH ASSOCIATION,with members owning units where the driver , or anyone else can walk, move from the cockpit to the living area without leaving vehicle, a type A, type B or type C.

Passport America is a discount rv club? which offers up to a 50% discount on a number of member campgrounds, wiith restrictions.

I belong to all 3 so as to have a choice and to expand friendship, exchange ideas and solutions and to meet the various members having good old fashion time, camping.

There is also the Escapees Club, mostly full-timers, I think, but more info can be found on line or the rv publications.

Last ,but not least is IRV2, a none structured,ie, no officers , but well organized,
I'm a fairly new member and have attended only one rally in upstate New York. Trmendous people, tremendous time. Everybody will help anyone with an rv related problem, I know, and just a good group to make future plans with etc.

My suggestion would be to jion and get involved in IRV2, join and register., Put more about your rving plans on line, any rv related problems , more info about your rv and family and what you are planning, where, and you'll get info back from members,with all kinds of solutions to prolems they have had, which may address any rv issues you are having. Also see if there is a get-together near you so you can see for yourself how good this organization is.

I hpe this info helps, but get involved.

Thanks===== AJBJRVERS
Old 02-03-2006, 01:56 AM   #4

Very good reply AJBJRVERS
There are a lot of other clubs and membership parks out there too. Before you sign up and pay big money for a membership ask some questions on this fourm. If you are going to full time then a deal like Thousand Trails may work for you or Coast to Coast. I am not promoting either I am just saying get the facts before you pay. I joined TT and have to work hard to justify the $ I spent but that is because I haven't stayed on the road as much as I want to, but I hope to change that soon. Hope this helps, Have a great time,
Old 02-03-2006, 06:54 AM   #5

Horsevoice, a couple of good clubs that come to mind are the Escapee's, and Family Motor Coach Association the latter is for owners of motorhomes only and the others that were mentioned earlier. Ed.S
Old 02-03-2006, 07:43 AM   #6

Asking in general about memberships is like asking which is better ford or chev. You will get opinions, misinformations, and statements of fact based on personal feelings (which actually may or may not be fact at all).

Campground membership is not for everyone and yet is a great deal for others. Some like the idea of having a single place to go and knowing they can always go there. Others like a system of parks to have access to. Still others wouldn't even consider going to the same place twice and want to be able to travel all over and not have their dollars tied to one system.

There are all kinds of valid reasons for joining or not joining. Just because one situation doesn't fit you doesn't mean it isn't any good. You will hear alot of bad mouthing all memberships due to the fact that something just doesn't fit the responders personal needs. This doesn't make it bad for everyone is just makes it bad for the responders needs.

You need to look at how you like to camp (lots of amenities or boondock), the types of parks you like (forest, beach, metropolitan), the area you are most likely to use it in (close to home or travel across the country). How long and how often (per year) do you plan to RV? Then you can decide if a membership will benefit you or not. You are the only one that will know if the dollars are worth it.

Personal experience --- is that we joined a system that has approx 15 parks within a 4 hour drive of our home (a couple within about 1 hours). The parks are clean, secure and well kept. The NW area has just about everything we want to do, we can go to different parks, we enjoy their amenities soooo the dollars were worth it to us. If there was only one or two parks available in this same range then I doubt that we would have joined. We don't want to feel obligated to go to the same place, over and over, just because we already spent the dollars to be there.

READ THE CONTRACT! Then read it again and make sure you understand it. Don't read it with the salesperson, take it back to your site and look it over. If they don't want you to do this then I would have to question their motives. A good salesperson will even encourage you to do so and then came back to have your questions answered. Talk with some other members at the park. Some of them will be brutally honest, but don't forget they are still members and still using the system.

Once you have decided that maybe a membership is for you and you have some specific questions feel free to ask them here. Just be sure that you separate the "don't have one...BUT", from the actual ones that have some first hand experience with what you are asking about.

Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to go WAY out on a limb and say that I think that Good Sam is basically an organization that shills for insurance, books, etc etc etc plus has some services too. Services that you can get via other clubs, FMCA, Escapees etc. Once you join GS, you are immediately and constantly inundated with flyers for refinancing, insurance, towing etc.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #8

HiHorse Voice, I've tried most of the clubs in the last 30 years, and have only stayed with one. Good Sam has been good to me, nice people, members, and the items that they offer have always been just what they said they were. Emergency Road Sevice, only had to call on them once, and they were Johnnie on the spot. Less than a hour, I was on I-95 with Tranny trouble. Cont. Warrenty on Tranny cost me $500.00 for new Transmittion. And just this week Our RV ins. replaces a Drivers side windshield, no cost. Good Sam's mean Good motoring to me.
Liz & Ken
Old 02-17-2006, 03:48 AM   #9

Horsevoice if I had one choice of an RV club to join,my first choice would be Escapees then Passport America and third on the list Good Sam Club.You'll get more bang for your buck from Escapees...Great club,very helpful and where everyone is treated like family.
John
Old 02-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #10

I have had a MH less than a year and I joined Passport and Good Sam. Passport has limitations as I have found. The discount is great, but there are many which have restrictions on when they will honor it.

I'm retired Navy and many military bases have RV parks which are priced lower than most of the Passport parks. I'm also 100% disabled and have access to all State (CA) parks for free as well as camping in them. I also have the National Parks card which gains me entrance to all National Parks and half-price for camping.

But, joining Good Sam was the best thing I did. I also got the road service and glad I did. I used them once when my battery died and they were very attentive and we had someone there in less than an hour. That one fee probably paid for the membership. I do agree that joining does open you up to a lot of mail advertising all their programs, but if I'm saving money then what the Hey.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doc Mark:
I'm going to go WAY out on a limb and say that I think that Good Sam is basically an organization that shills for insurance, books, etc etc etc plus has some services too. Services that you can get via other clubs, FMCA, Escapees etc. Once you join GS, you are immediately and constantly inundated with flyers for refinancing, insurance, towing etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I'm not a seasoned RVing expert, I must say Good Sam REALLY overdoes the whole marketing/mailing/e-mailing/bugging me to the point of hollering UNCLE thing! Dang - will it ever end?

« TOMWIN | Hi y'all! »