Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

What should I NOT consider buying

OK I get busy. not a lot of time to search but was window shopping the web tonight. What makes/models should I NOT even consider? Are there just simply known LEMONS out there? As well, there seems to be a lot of older model lower priced RV's out there. Is this just simply a malor head in the works? or could some of these prove to be a sort of fun vintage owner kinda ride?
St. Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #2

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs

A good source to help answer your question.

Ed
ed6713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They all are good and they all are bad.

And while I have a few brands I wouldn't recommend I certainly couldn't post them on here. I value my life too much.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you narrow down the field of choice. Travel trailer, 5th wheel, toy hauler, Class A, Class C, Class B, Class B+, new or used?
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

Welcome to the Forum and Doggy Daddy's question is what I would have asked. You need to decide on which type of RV you want to buy. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Do you plan to pull something like a trailer or fifth wheel? or do you want to drive around in a Class A, B or C motorhome?

I would suggest you go to a few dealers and if available go to an RV show. This way you will know the costs and be able to compare the various types and models. You probably can get started as cheap as under $10,000 to the high end of over $2,000,000.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide on.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
One thing about the recent down turn of the economy, it forced all of the "bad" manufactures out of business and they are no longer around. Any of the current manufatures that made it through the recession, not new start-ups or name purchased but stayed in business during those years are going to be your better end units.

Everybody is going to have a difference of opinion of something they would never own again, but if you are looking for the Yugo's of the RV industry...like the Yugo, they are already gone.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
They all are good and they all are bad.

And while I have a few brands I wouldn't recommend I certainly couldn't post them on here. I value my life too much.

I agree 100%

I read this forum constantly and there are two manufacturers of MH's that I would not touch, new or used. When I decide to upgrade (newer) I'm pretty sure I'll stay with a Fleetwood gas. Although they have had their rough spots.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #8

Thank You ed, for the source.

Arch, I understand the point and was thinking a few PM's would follow my way.

Possibly a better way to address the Q would be as BROCKX indicated "What would you buy next"?

Doggydaddy and myshaggydog. I guess I have a class A Diesel Pusher set in my head so forgot that you cant read my mind....can you??
PS. you guys of the same breed? Sorry the similarity in the name genre made me comment that!!

brobox that is a good indicator as well I would assume.

Finally. I dont have to be sold on oly a DP but all I've read so far says that eventual FT with a TOAD is almost a certain for the added power.
St. Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
One thing about the recent down turn of the economy, it forced all of the "bad" manufactures out of business and they are no longer around. Any of the current manufatures that made it through the recession, not new start-ups or name purchased but stayed in business during those years are going to be your better end units.

I disagree

Beaver
Monaco
Travel Supreme
Etc.

ALL of these were "bad" manufactures??????

What about Newmar, considered by many to be one of the best, they were teetering on shutting down and stopped manufacturing for a year, are they one of the bad one's too??????

What the recession showed was that there were many good manufacturers that were working on thin margins and they folded when their cash flow slowed down. On the other had there were while many high volume but low quality manufacturers with larger margins were able to weather the storm because of cash reserves or better financial management.

Unfortunately there is still a wide spectrum of manufacturers out there from average to very good. As another poster said all have made good units and all have had some duds.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

This question has been covered several times. A search might bring up some answers.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed6713 View Post
RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs

A good source to help answer your question.

Ed
I agree with Ed, I used this site in my search. Very good information. First, you need to decide what type of RV, MH, 5er etc, you want or suits your needs then go here and get an overview of the specific type you are considering.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with StevenNSteph. There are still some cheap manufactures out there, while some of the good ones couldn't keep up the cash flow to stay in business.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #14

Welcome to the irv2 gang! I scanned through the comments and suggestions. The bottom line is that you are choosing (1) if new...only the manufacturers still out there are options and (2) if used...well, there's the whole list of past to present. One thing I haven't see mentioned, though, applies to #2...how "handy" are you? Do you think it would be fun just to work on restoring a motorhome? Or, do you just want to get some wheels under you and hit the road? My two cents, if you are looking for "pre-owned," is to consider some of the following (and let others chime in on this list, please): look at who owns or owned it, how many owners, do they have any maintenance records, was the motorhome kept outdoors, did the primary area of use have a lot of salt on the roads, and who do you know that owns a motorhome and would go along to help take a preliminary look (if not buying online). Oh...and don't buy without seeing, touching, driving and inspecting in person. Again...that's just my two cents and it may not be worth that much. Good luck with your research!
Hudgens is offline   Reply With Quote