Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What to buy for 1 year of FT?
Revolution 42K 2 25.00%
Monaco brand SKQ 2 25.00%
Itasca 0 0%
Winnebago 1 12.50%
Dutch Star 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #1

Cool What to buy? Revolution, Monaco, Newmar, Itasca??????

My boyfriend and I have been considering FTRV for a year as a mid-life escape (in our 40's, not yet ready to retire, no kids, 1 cat, 1 German Shepherd). We rented a 38ft. Providence for a week and loved the lifestyle. Both pets travelled very well. Our finances are in order and after shopping for about 9 months we are seriously considering taking the leap, but still don't know what used coach to buy. We have enjoyed your site and look forward to getting input from your members on this huge decision.

Our priorities include comfortable TV viewing NOT OVER THE WINSHIELD and a comfortable desk/work space. Bath and a half would be a dream, so would full wall slide (and winning the lottery). We wanted to spend around $150K, but could swing $175ish.

The 2008 Revolution 42K has all the features and styling we would want and we have spotted one or two near the top of our price range. Concerns (besides price) include 43ft. being more than we can handle as newbies and difficulties finding campsites, not to mention California’s special license. Other concerns about the 42K include comments by Monaco dealer that Fleetwood is more flash than substance – aluminum roof, electric slides, only 4 airbags, etc.

Also under consideration are various SKQ floorplans from the various Monaco brands, but not wild about the toilet, sink and shower all being together. Found a great left over 2009 Cheetah, but worried about resale value now that Safari is no longer built. Diplomat and Knight SKQs are strong contenders. These would probably require us pulling out loveseat and building in work space.

Itasca & Winnebago TD and FD floorplans are interesting, but we have been told Freightliner chassis is not as good as Spartan or Roadmaster. Again, modifications would probably be needed for adequate workspace.

Also considering a 2008 Dutch Star 4055 with dinette/desk. Hard to find NADA value on this one because it is an end of year model described by owner as “'Dutch Aire' in a Dutch Star shell” with 425HP.

We know that no matter what we buy, it is a depreciating asset and we will lose money when we sell in 12-18 months, but we would like to choose carefully to minimize the loss. Any guidance your members could offer would be eternally appreciated!
FTRV4aYr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #2

I'm sure you realize that you are going to get 4 different answers at least, my revolution is my third MH with this one I started from ground up (chassis first) don't get in a hurry test drive everything on highways and all.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!!

First and foremost, don't believe ANYTHING a dealer tells you about RV quality, especially when he/she is putting down a competitor to what they are selling. Most RV salespersons know very little about their own product, or any other brands either.

Spartan is generally considered to be a "higher range" chassis than Freightliner, but there certainly is nothing wrong or to be feared in a Freightliner chassis. I currently have a Spartan chassis, but if the coach I liked had a Freightline under it, that is what I would buy.

Monaco generally is considered to be higher range than Fleetwood, but Fleetwood today is not what Fleetwood was 5 years ago ...it is literally a totally different company now. I don't know what quality the current company is turning out. I do know happy Fleetwood owners.

Winnebago/Itasca are quality motorhomes backed by a solid company with an excellent reputation for customer support. Newmar (Dutch Star, etc) also has a solid reputation. These are two of the few motorhome builders who came out of the past 5 years the same company as they were before the crash.

Take your time, inspect every RV you can very carefully inside and out, push/pull on walls and anything else you can get your hands on, remember when buying used that the previous owner's maintenance records (or lack thereof) are very important, find a floorplan you like, make the decision YOU are most comfortable with, then enjoy the adventure!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like quite a mid life break you two are planning. Those are all fine coaches you mention. I've always loved Monaco... the Revolution is one of the sharpest looking coaches on the market IMHO... and I own an Itasca 40FD. We love our floorplan with the fireplace below the TV... although we've replace all three TVs with HD LCD sets.

I would focus on two things as you narrow your choices:

1) Floorplan. You'll spend far more time dealing with your floorplan than you will dealing with anything else on your coach so make sure it fits you or can at least be modified to fit your needs.

2) As Paul pointed out, check the maintenance records carefully. You don't necessarily have to go over every thing that was ever done to the coach but if the owner can't produce them... or says, "they must be around here somewhere"... it's an indication that he might have been hit or miss in his approach to maintenance and that's probably not good.

Best of luck to you. You'll have a lot of choices within your budget.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #5

We are looking at a 2008 Revolution (pre-2009 bankruptcy). I know they have moved the Revolution into the American Coach line recently, but any upgrades would not have been made yet in 2008.

However, on the other hand, I've read that the Revolution was always built on the same line as the American Coach. It is enough to make my head explode. One thing I have learned is that RV manufacturers make sure that you can never compare apples to apples, even in their own lines from year to year!
FTRV4aYr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Buy the floorplan that will suit you best. All the coaches you listed are good ones & all have their good/bad points. The fun is in the shopping. Just don't be distracted by the glitz & glamor inside. Take your time & ask lots of questions.

Oh, don't forget to look under any coach you're considering. Read THIS thread to see what one member almost bought. He came here first with questions & no doubt saved himself a lot of headaches & money down the line.

Let us know what you get & post pictures!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
revol dutch monaco itasca