Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
First hello
Second I like the looks of the rig-kind of like mine. You do have a hard to find early DP there.I am with you -slides are a pain. Question-does the Rebuilt engine come with a warranty? Value? As the old saying says-what ever the traffic will bear. If you are happy. The refrigerator is going to be 1200.00 or so. You may find a local RV wreaking yard to get a used one from (stay away from the 1200 series). What kind of camping are you going to do? With hook ups? With out?
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
First hello
Second I like the looks of the rig-kind of like mine. You do have a hard to find early DP there.I am with you -slides are a pain. Question-does the Rebuilt engine come with a warranty? Value? As the old saying says-what ever the traffic will bear. If you are happy. The refrigerator is going to be 1200.00 or so. You may find a local RV wreaking yard to get a used one from (stay away from the 1200 series). What kind of camping are you going to do? With hook ups? With out?
Thanks for responding. I actually saw the pic of your Rockwood when I was perusing the Vintage forium earlier today . That's a cool looking RV. We actually looked at a 1992 Rockwood Diesel 31.5' in Austin last weekend. It was a cool RV. The interior was in great shape, and the engine ran well and the guy even let me do a 5 mile or so test drive even though I had never driven a motorhome before! Ultimately, though, the exterior was in pretty bad shape and we could not see paying 15,000 when it had so much work to be done.

To answer your question, we would be using the coach full-time with either full hookups or just electricity and making a short trip every few days to dump and fill potable water. About the engine, I have not inquired but I'm assuming it does NOT come with any warranty. He claimed the work cost him 15,000. Even if the mechanic did give him a warranty on the work, I doubt that the warranty would be transferrable.
brit-n-cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK with electric hook up you will need to replace the converter with a good three stage battery charger. The old converters were designed to supplement the batteries but not really charge them. The trip driving was to do that. It will run you about 180.00 to up grade.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #18

I now have a class a diesel pusher with 2 slides no trouble with leeks and we live in ares full time this is my 3 rd moterhome first one with slides I wouldn't buy one with out slides excpecly if your going to live in it
busmanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
With a refer not working on a rig that is nearly 30 years old, I would not consider offering any more than $5500 dollars. A new refer alone is going to cost 12-1300 dollars plus labor. Tires could probably cost you another 1200 dollars. Just servicing that motor is going to cost a grand. For 20K you should be able to find a really nice diesel about 10-15 years old in the same condition.

Edit,
Just did a 30 second internet search and there are several Beavers in that age range and the most expensive one is 15K. Save yourself a lot of time and money, do some more research before you leap.
Donn, You said that for 20k we should be able to find a 1997-2002 coach in similar condition? If there are coaches out there right now that meet these criteria, we would seriously consider them. If you have seen anthing in this price range on ebay or other website, could you please post the links. Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
OK with electric hook up you will need to replace the converter with a good three stage battery charger. The old converters were designed to supplement the batteries but not really charge them. The trip driving was to do that. It will run you about 180.00 to up grade.
Good info, thanks! If I understand correctly, this three stage charger will convert the 120V AC to 12V DC for the smaller appliances to use (just like a standard converter does) and also allow the batteries to be fully charged from shore power? Why exactly are they termed 3 stage?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #21

Carolina Campers
I'll be the first to admit I don't know squat about diesel engines but does it sound a little hinky that the seller replaced an apparently working diesel engine with 50K on it just to prevent future problems?
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
This San Antonio '96 sounds pretty nice...it's $25,500, but the ad says "motivated seller". You might get them down to around your target price!

1996 37' BEAVER TRENTON PATRIOT RV

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit-n-cajun View Post
Good info, thanks! If I understand correctly, this three stage charger will convert the 120V AC to 12V DC for the smaller appliances to use (just like a standard converter does) and also allow the batteries to be fully charged from shore power? Why exactly are they termed 3 stage?
They have 3 stages-trickle charge/full charge / and float. and some have a de-sulphate and equalizer charge. We have the Progressive Dynamics PD9260 with the remote charging wizard.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #24

Beaver made a great coach! the problem here is the engine was replaced with a diff. engine and i bet a lot of things had to be modified to make it work.you didn't do the work so you don't have a clue as to what was modified or what parts are off of.I can't see replacing a Detroit with a Cat unless i had to.I would try my best to locate a unit that had not been molested your just asking for trouble and more trouble, course you engineers like a challenge and you are young ,it's just us old timers have learned our lessons the hard way.just remember you were warned.
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you are in Houston, TX keep an eye on this dealer. They have a lot of consignment coaches and a good reputation.

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Seems like you have received alot of sound advice already,so I will just say "Hello and welcome to iRV2" and wish you all the best.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #27

87Rockwood, thanks for the info! How is that Progressive Dynamics PD9260 working for you so far?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Since you are in Houston, TX keep an eye on this dealer. They have a lot of consignment coaches and a good reputation.

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

Good Luck,
Jon
Thanks! We will definitely check them out.