Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

After market insurance

We are looking at getting our first RV. Tiffen 2013 40' Phaeton.

As it is "used" 57,000 miles, we think an after market warranty is a good idea.

La Mesa Ft Meyers, FL. is where we are getting our rig and their offering is through USA Travel Care.

Can anyone tell me if this company stands behind the list of items they promise to warranty.

Thanks

PWechsler
PWechsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #2

Before signing for any ESC = Extended Service Contract(these are not warranties, they more resemble health insurance-for a vehicle), contact Wholesalewarranties.com and request a quote so you may make a comparison.
IF you decide to purchase an ESC, insist upon an exclusionary contract, not an inclusionary contract. The difference is, an exclusionary contract spells out what is NOT covered, by omission eveything else is covered. An inclusionary contract identifiies what IS covered, leaving what is not covered an unknown
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

We just bought a Entegra 38 h form Lemasa in fort myers. My rig is the first one in the first bay as you look in to the shop. Yes I would get the extended warranty you will use it. Mine will be in the shop dealing with New Coach issues for over a week. I would hate to pay that bill with out coverage.
Second rv from Lemasa and would by a 3rd with out hesitation
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWechsler View Post
We are looking at getting our first RV. Tiffen 2013 40' Phaeton.

As it is "used" 57,000 miles, we think an after market warranty is a good idea.

La Mesa Ft Meyers, FL. is where we are getting our rig and their offering is through USA Travel Care.

Can anyone tell me if this company stands behind the list of items they promise to warranty.

Thanks

PWechsler
Can't speak for that company however, I can speak for Cornerstone Extended Warranty. I purchase it for my fifth wheel & it was a five-year plan.I paid $1,800 they paid out 10,000 + and they never turn me down if it wasn't working they fixed it. Google Cornerstone extended warranty give them a call they will tell you where the dealers are
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

USA Travel Care is as good as any "extended warranty" provider. There really isn't any issue about the insurer standing behind the contract - they aren't going to defraud you. Just make sure you understand what the insurance actually covers and the procedures for making claims. All such contracts are rigorous - they cut no slack and enforce every nuance of each and every exception. Don't rely on the sales guys glib promises about the coverage and value - read the contract and understand what all those caveats and exceptions are about. They mean every one of them. Dissatisfaction occurs because the RV owner thinks something SHOULD have been covered but is not because of some clause in the contract. That's a fact of life with such insurance - not a case of one company vs another.

To answer your question more directly, we had a USA Travelcare "extended warranty" back around 2002 and had a few items repaired with no hesitation at all by the company. We traded the RV for a upscale model after 4 years and even got a refund on the unused portion of the contract time .
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a fan of "after-market" warranties! Those companies leave themselves too many loopholes to get out of paying for repairs! I believe that, in most cases, you are better off putting that same amount of money into a special bank account to be used for repairs only. I know that some say it has payed off for them, but I bet if you had a way to know the percentages they would be very small. Otherwise the companies couldn't stay in business! JMHO

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #7

I self insure. These warranty company’s obviously take in more money than they pay out. I do all my own service work as well, so I’m not paying all those exorbitant labor rates. It all comes down to one thing “Are you feeling lucky”!
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
La Mesa will tell you that RV Extended Warranties are regulated in Florida. They are very minimally, however the dealer markup is horrendous. Buy it from Wholesalewarranties.com or https://agwsinc.com/extended-warrant...-care/directly.

Also, buy all your startup supplies elsewhere (Amazon, etrailer,com, rvupgrades.com, etc) and bring them with you. La Mesa will probably give you a 10% discount on purchases in the store and a $25 coupon. But everything in the store is at full list prices. They will give you a list of what they think you need. I had all of what I really needed except bug screens. Those screens were more expensive than Amazon after the discount and $25 coupon were applied! Good luck and Enjoy.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance