Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't access thread called "Moved: Remove relay from front TV"

Is there a reason why I don't have permission to access this thread?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54932

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
This thread has been pulled from the forum as removing the relay in question is illegal in most states and, therefore, discussions related to its removal are not permitted in the forum.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
This thread has been pulled from the forum as removing the relay in question is illegal in most states and, therefore, discussions related to its removal are not permitted in the forum.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Rusty
I would love to see the law/statute that makes the removal a crime. Could you provide a cite to such.. I agree that it is not good to watch TV as a driver but I don't know how that applies. As an attorney, I looked through the ARS (Ariz Revised Statutes) and could not find any reference.

Color me skeptical!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
HERE ya go. Check out the video device within field of view of the driver statutes. That's why that relay is there. The OP wanted to disable the relay so that his kids could watch DVDs on the front TV while going down the road - which is illegal in many/most states if the front TV is in the driver's field of view.

Before you make your rebuttal, your point is taken that the removal of the relay itself may not be illegal in a particular state (it actually is illegal in Alaska), but its removal allows an activity which is illegal. Discussions which promote or enable illegal activities are not suitable topics for this forum.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read the various state statutes regarding TV in an RV.

There are a number of restrictions-
TV Mounted where driver can see the screen-
a. California actually mentions an operating TV
b. Louisiana Law: Prohibits driving a motor vehicle with a television cable of receiving any prerecorded visual presentation unless the TV is behind the driver's seat or not visible to the driver while he or she is operating the vehicle." HUH?
c. Most states have this type of wording - No person shall drive any motor vehicle equipped with any television viewer, screen or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast which is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or which is visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.
d. Some states word it this way - "No television viewer, screen, or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast can be located in the field of view of the operator of the vehicle.

None of the regulations state whether the TV is, or is NOT, turned on.
They clearly state the set, on or off, located in front of the drivers seat is a violation.

Most RVs I have seen violate the word of the law as the screens are in front of the driver.

Others state the screens be in the field of view. My TV is not in the field of view when I am driving. I have to twist my neck to see even a slanted view and with an LCD screen, I cannot make out anything.

In no case do they refer to enabling or disabling the relay. Now, I am not arguing in favor of a driver watching TV while driving but these are "make busy" laws. If a person is driving in a reckless manner, what difference does it make whether the he is driving 80MPH in a 55 zone, watching TV or texting. It does NOT require 3 different statutes to describe the errant behavior. RECKLESS DRIVING. Reckless is a "reasonable person" standard call.

As an attorney, I would argue the statutes are vague and unmeaning.

Just positing something to think about.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What about a GPS screen?

Mike
Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
What about a GPS screen?

Mike

Or ones mother-in-law pic. Now that should be illegal to have that in the drivers view.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
What about a GPS screen?

Mike

GPS screen and rear view, side camera screens are considered "Driver aids", thus legal in most states. The only one I can attest to as fact is Louisiana.

This thread has turned into a re-hash of another discussing a procedure that facilitates a activity that is against the law in many states. Thus is being closed.

Closed Thread