Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #1

Could you manage to get a page put up with all the words that we are not allowed to post, perhaps with some "alternatives" to use instead? It's getting to be a PITA to read some of the posts. Rather than getting the messages censored, a list that we can look at (and possibly download a hard copy to tape next to the keyboard) would be very handy. And why is the Pivate Message section subject to the censorship as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #2

Could you manage to get a page put up with all the words that we are not allowed to post, perhaps with some "alternatives" to use instead? It's getting to be a PITA to read some of the posts. Rather than getting the messages censored, a list that we can look at (and possibly download a hard copy to tape next to the keyboard) would be very handy. And why is the Pivate Message section subject to the censorship as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Lorna there has been a recent "Update" in the software of words that trigger the "Bad word edit" feature. As such we are all trying to discover the "Trigger" words. Please hang in there with us while we "Get the bugs worked out".

The entire forum falls under the same software. So that is why even in the private message area you see the ****** stuff.

Take care and "Keep on Kampin".

Don
Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 AM   #4

But what ARE the bad words? I guess I have an inquiring mind. There should be a page somewhere on the website that lists not only the words and behaviour prohibited on the forum (flaming, advertising, etc). It should all be combined together.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Lorna, click on Terms of Service at the bottom of the page, and then click on Rules.

It's all spelled out there, except for a list of offensive words.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
But what ARE the bad words? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>All the 7 words that George Carlin has told us that can't be said on television are there plus a bunch of others.

We could list all the words here so you can be informed not to use them but alas they would only come up as: *********, ********, ******** and *******! (I stopped at 4)

There isn't an iRV2.com sensor but the software itself has automatic controls that prevent the display of targeted words.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 08-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hi Lorna...
I understand what you are talking about regarding "censorship", but my understanding is that this is to be a family friendly forum. I believe the "powers that be" here at IRV2 are doing their best to make sure the board stays clean enough as to not offend the people that still hold true to the values that our parents tried to instill on us when we were growing up.
There are still many people who are trying to pass down those types of values - where children still don't talk back to their elders, where they say "yes Maam" and "yes Sir", "please" and "thank you".
I for one know that I can put dots or dashes in those words and make it that my friends here on IRV2 know whatI am saying. If the word comes back astericked out..I can go in and edit it to add the dashes to still get the "point" across...if I feel they don't understand it with it all starred out.
So...I guess what I am saying...I can still act like an adult and know that it is safe for young people to read this and not have their parents get angry at me!

As far as a list on the intenet as what we can't use... well common sense tells me ..it is any word that my parents would have threatened me with a bar of soap if I said it. Wouldn't it be silly to put up a list of words we can't use...if we can't use them?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

As long as our members follow the "terms of service" regarding the content of their posts, there should be no problem with what some of you are now calling "censorship".
Censorship for profanity and lewd content is not something new, we've just intiated a "list" of "trigger words" in an effort to take some of the load off of our moderators, who were performing this task long hand in the past.
We have learned this capability existed in our forum software and as such we're working through the bugs....We appreciate your patience.

iRV2 has NEVER "censored" any post for any reason other than profanity or lewd content and that will remain the policy.

Here's a snip from our "Terms of Service" that may help....As long as your post falls within these guidelines that have been in place since the very beginning of this site, you'll not have any problems.

Is not consistent with the permissible uses outlined by the Terms of Service (TOS) including, but not limited to, content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abrasive, harassing, hostile, defamatory, inciting brand wars, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, vulgar, profane, sexually explicit, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive, religious, illegal substances, illegal activities or otherwise objectionable. NOTE: disagreements and intellectual disputes are not viewed as hostile content as long as the arguments address the Members statements and not their personalities;
Old 08-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #9

You are not addressing what I am referring to. I'm referring to words that most of us do not consider "vulgar, profane, sexually explicit, obscene". What I consider okay and your software considers wrong seems to be the same thing. While I'm not referring the words used in Carlin's "7 Words" skit (which I love... particularly the "Cop Killer" part... next best thing is the "stuff" diatribe), it's the other words... Is there anywhere we can find a list the software objects to?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there anywhere we can find a list the software objects to? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No....

As I mentioned, we are not going to publish a list of words and we're going to let the software "do it's job" and relieve our moderators
from having to do the task.

My advice would be to use your conscience as your guide and not post anything on the forums that you wouldn't mind your kids or grandkids hearing as if we all were sitting around a campfire.

Please do not make this issue any more than it is....One of my administrators found the "trigger word" option in the forum software and as such we have decided to use it as a method to help reduce the workload of our dedicated moderators.
We have some twenty-five moderators and two administrators that spend a good deal of their time sifting through the forums under the radar and helping out where need be. Allowing the "system" to do some of the work is a no brainer.

I hope we can now move forward from this issue and enjoy the site.

I would ask that anyone who still feels the need to discuss this matter to please contact me by PM or email to bgregory@irv2.com

I would not have imagined that doing something "automatically" that we've been doing "manually" would've caused this much of a stir and I
apologize for any misunderstanding this may be causing....NOTHING has changed in the way we run this web site.

Sincerely,

Bob Gregory
Co-Owner
"rebelsbeach"
Old 08-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Lorna,

Our list contains over 100 vile, vulgar, and offensive words; we have no intention of sharing this filth with you or anyone for that matter. Granted, among the 100 words or so we have in our list, there may be three or four that some members won't consider too bad.

We have chosen to retain all the words in the filter to insure iRV2 remains a clean, wholesome place for our members to post and to support the thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experiences among all RV enthusiasts. None of the words in our list adds any support to our mission statement.

Having said this and in denying you the list, let me assure you that you can freely post here using any words you're comfortable with when talking to mature and normal adults, children of any age, people in a church, or associates in business. If you should slip up and use a word on our list, our filter will catch it and we'll remove it from the post with no prejudice against you.

I'd appreciate it if you'd continue supporting our forums as you have in the past and let this issue die a natural death.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #12

Would you be willing to e-mail a copy of of the global censoring list to me? Or do I need to contact th Eve Community for that list?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Apparently I was typing at the same time as "Rebelsbeach". We are saying the same thing, we just say it a little differently.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Would you be willing to e-mail a copy of of the global censoring list to me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lorna,

Do what you want....... I'm not transmitting that filth over my email with my name attached.

Closed Thread