Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #1

Class A spare tires?

Folks, Have just bought my first pusher after having a Holiday Rambler front engine for 7 years. I was very surprised to be told that the bigger pusher rigs do not have spare tires because they are "too heavy" for owners to change. The only problem I ever had on my Holiday Rambler was with blowouts. That was with tires from different manufactures. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks, John
goshenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #2

There's a lot of opinions on spare tires for pushers. First off, you'd be hard pressed just trying to remove the lug nuts let alone raising the coach to change a tire. A tire and wheel can weigh several hundred pounds and would probably require 2 strong men and a boy to lift it from a storage compartment (if you had sufficient room) If you buy a coach, then buy roadside assistance.

Another heated discussion deals with 'how long before I buy new tires" Personally I've always stuck with the 5-6 year rule. It's expensive but the problem with most of these tires is they don't get used enough and subsequently develop cracks and the moisture seeps from the tire making it ripe for a blow out. BTW, covering the tires when camping helps to keep them from cracking.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #3

If you had problems with " blowouts " maybe you need to examine how you maintain your tires.

Most blowouts are due to running them with low pressures.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #4

I carry a mounted spare on a Roadmaster Spare tire carrier. https://roadmasterinc.com/products/spare_tire/index.php

My 22.5 tire and wheel weighs about 150 lbs and the carrier weighs 70. That's pure tongue weight.

Have your tow hitch examined by a RV hitch company to make sure it can handle the weight, especially if you plan to tow a vehicle. The one I had was inadequate so I had a custom one made.

I don't plan on changing the tire myself (although I carry have the tools to do so) but I carry one so I have one and don't have to look for one when I need one or be at the mercy of the company that responds to my call.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #5

The tire is hard to get in Anyplace USA. But any truck tire place (including mobile ones) can put a new tire onto your existing wheel (unless the wheel is too damaged of course). So I carry a spare tire unmounted. Mine fit on the raised center area of my basements and I can manage them in and out with some effort.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's not pusher vs front gas either. Our last gas chassis coach had 22.5" wheels and no spare. Just too big and bulky and too seldom needed to justify the space and weight. Never had occasion to regret that in 14 years of extensive travel, whether diesel or gas.

I think the bigger and more rugged tires simply fail less often, at least with adequate attention to pressure. In the prior several years with rigs that had 16" or smaller tires, a spare was more often needed and we carried one.

I know a few people who carry an unmounted spare, just so they don't have to buy a tire on the roadside in case of emergency. No doubt that could save money and maybe some time, but we always felt we would rather use the storage bays for stuff that brings us pleasure. If we ended up buying a tire at highway-thief prices, so be it. Cost of our enjoyment. Never happened, though. Not even in Alaska.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

As others have said, it you were having trouble with blowouts you were probably running with tire pressures too low!

I have never had a blowout (knock on wood) and I don't see how I could give up that much storage space underneath! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #8

At most, carry an unmounted spare. Then call your road service. Most can dismount the flat and mount the spare by the side of the road. Just make that clear when you call your road service. As to changing a mounted spare yourself, can you manage the necessary 450 lb. ft. of torque to remove and tighten the lug nuts? Then there is the safety factor of you doing this on the side of the road.
You paid a lot of money for your rig and worked hard to get it, why try to save a few bucks at this stage of your life? But hey, that's just me.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #9

When I got flat tire and it couldn't be repaired 2 years ago. I bought new steer tires and moved the current steer tires to the back and ended up with a spare which I carry in the basement. I would never attempt to change by myself but leave it to roadside service. Haven't had a need for it but glad I have it.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carry mounted spare in the basement and tools to do the job myself!
Some day I may get old??? Too!!!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #11

Also, figuring the torque of the lug nuts are generally around 320 pounds that too could present a problem
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
https://www.amazon.com/HOMCOM-E8-000...-1-spons&psc=1
Old 05-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #13

I keep my spare tire at the local tire dealership...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:50 AM   #14

Thanks for all the great advice, folks. I think with my new rig having new Michelin 255s that are not out of date I should be okay. I also have removed all tire valve extenders on the advice of several service techs. On my last motorhome, I did a late winter trip of over 6000 miles with good tires and had no problems. Think I will go with the "no spare" option.
goshenj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, tires