Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #43

It's probably instructive to restate what this thread is dealing with.

Let's be extremely clear. This thread deals with how Irv2 administrators applied a blanket rule to a contributor - who happens to have identified himself as commercial entity from whom the retail public really can NOT purchase this product from - who has unique and specific detailed knowledge of a product retail consumers can NOT simply go out and buy yet is used by several RV manufacturers.

At issue is that a post was made that included a link to free software of a highly specialized and NON commercial nature that was then moderator edited out simply "because the link was on a commercial site owned by the poster."

Furthermore, the poster wanted to include links to web pages which detail the highly intricate inner workings of this system, e-Plex to be exact. But alas, those pages - the content of which simply can not be cut-n-pasted into Irv2 - were also on a "commercial site owned by the poster" and thus not allowed. Reminder, this "commercial entity" does NOT sell anything directly to the retail public - only to RV/vehicle manufacturers. If this poster never revealed their true commercial identity, it would have been allowed. Go figure?

So what's the issue? Uninformed moderator edits impeding the Irv2 mission statement.

How? By the blanket application of a rule that forbids a poster from publishing links which happen to be on their own commercial site - and here's the clincher - even when that commercial entity/site does NOT sell to the retail public and therefore really has no commercial interest being on Irv2. Their post was merely informational and voluntary, as would any non-commercial post yet they were severely hampered in sharing that knowledge simply because they identified themselves as a commercial entity. On the flip side, I, as a non commercial entity (or am I?), can freely post links to ANY commercial page I so choose and thus deliberately, within moderator reason, drive commercial traffic in that manner.

Why so upset over such a limited moderator action? Because it sets a barrier to posting - which is always voluntary - of truly unique and vital information, "just because" a certain blanket rule was met even when that blanket rule has absolutely no applicability to the intent or content of the posting.

What are we really asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
.....I challenge Irv2 administrators to take steps that actually support the stated mission of Irv2, to ask questions when in doubt, and continue to evolve, understand and deliver those things that can and will make Irv2 even more useful to RV enthusiasts.
Maybe this simply means asking/understanding before won-ton moderator deleting "just because" a poster identified themselves as a commercial entity - one with no direct commercial link to anyone on this forum.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can always go off line and offer help to the poster with a PM (private message) and then there is no problem....but you don't get the benefit of the free advertising.

Ken

Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
So back to my post #11, I'm sensing I'm OK to hyper-link to a product page, because I have no relationship to the vender who happens to be a IRV2 advertiser. Most times I might link to a non-advertising RV vender. I just find when trying to best describe a product, that a picture says it all.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
So back to my post #11, I'm sensing I'm OK to hyper-link to a product page, because I have no relationship to the vender who happens to be a IRV2 advertiser. Most times I might link to a non-advertising RV vender. I just find when trying to best describe a product, that a picture says it all.
Apparently, as a non-commercial member (or someone who at least has never identified themselves as such), you can link to anything you want. But you can't use affiliate links, which seems perfectly reasonable.

joe
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #47
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Members may post a link to a business as long as they have no commercial interest in the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
This is the opinion I came to after the gun topic rule change, and ensuing discussion.

We, the members, are NOT the customers here. We are the PRODUCT. The owners of this forum sell advertising based on OUR participation here. Were there no members here, they would have no product, and no one would pay to advertise.

The community rules are not for OUR benefit, nor are they to ensure the members have a satisfying experience, or to ensure that this forum is an archive of accurate, complete, helpful information. They are for the benefit of the owners of the forum.

And so, any discussion of irrational rules are met with the response you have seen today. Amusement. If you read the rules and take the administrators responses in this context, it all makes a little more sense.

I still think iRV2 is the best thing going. I just see it in a very different light than before.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
.... I just see it [Irv2] in a very different light than before.
I do as well, but for a very different set of reasons.