Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

Digest complaint

Janet,

OK, per your instruction I followed these steps, plus some others I had seen in other instruction you had provided. I spent some time yesterday making sure I had done everything that I was expected to.

Now, this morning I again received 9 email, one for each forum I subscribed to. Each one had not a digest, but links back to the forum where the messages had to be read. This means I must be connected to the internet to read any of this. We are fulltimers. We are not always in places where we have the luxury of spending hours on the internet. Sometimes it is download on the fly and read it later, so this won't work for me (and I expect others too).

So, my question now is does IRV2 plan to change this so that there is a true "digest" of messages or is this it? The answer lets me know if I will be a contributing member going forward.

I realize this isn't your doing and I do appreciate your assistance and time, thanking you in advance.

DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
This means I must be connected to the internet to read any of this. We are fulltimers. We are not always in places where we have the luxury of spending hours on the internet. Sometimes it is download on the fly and read it later, so this won't work for me (and I expect others too).

So, my question now is does IRV2 plan to change this so that there is a true "digest" of messages or is this it? The answer lets me know if I will be a contributing member going forward.
Absolutely the case for me too ...IRv2 has been one of my favorite forums, but if I cannot read individuals off-line, being an active member will be much less likely.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Absolutely the case for me too ...IRv2 has been one of my favorite forums, but if I cannot read individuals off-line, being an active member will be much less likely.
I must say, at first I wasn't enthused about the individual Digest emails.

But after 3 days, I can appreciate the ease of filtering. I read the email and go through each header mentioned. If the topic is something I am interested in, I will click it and read the thread. (I have it set to show most recent first).

Then, I go back to the email and look at the next in line. If the toopic is of interest, is repear else, I move on. I can go through all 8 of the forums I follow in less than half the time as before.

I will say though, it would be even easier on the bandwidth if I got all digests in one digest.

Neat, IMHO

Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I normally participate in the forum via individual emails. After several days of lighter than normal email totals, I realized I was seeing nothing from IRV2. After I got through the new log on, change pw, etc procedure I realized the transition had apparently cancelled all my subscriptions. I had time to get a few setup again, then shut down for the night.

Today I am again receiving individual emails, and they DO have the text of the reply/new post so I can review it off-line and no log on until I have reviewed all emails and am ready to reply to a few ... that will work, though I still miss several posts in the process due to the notice at the bottom of the email that says,

"There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

...it works so much better for us off-line participants if we can get ALL replies on our subscribed threads. I deal with this same irritant on another forum I participate in. Apparently the software gurus believe everyone has 24/7 internet connections now, AND the time to hunt through all the stuff we don't want to read to find the ones we DO want to keep up with!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does the Admin committee plan to get the email digest working as it did in the prior forum???

This is a major setback if you can't get the content of new postings for subscribed forums in a single email!

Being a fulltimer, reading the daily email digest was a quick way to follow iRV2 without being online for an extended period of time.

I hope this gets some priority consideration by the "executive committee".

Thanks for the support.... I'm sure this conversion is (& has been) taking up mega-manhours of the forum staff.
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can any of the Administrators give us an update on the "Email Digest" ???

Is there any plans now or in the future to get email digest to work somewhat like it used to?

Thanks for your support,
Bill
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #7

I believe the total lack of any response on this topic means they cannot do it and have no plans to make changes. It's not the same forum to me and I find myself gravitating to others that are more friendly to read. A shame.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Donna - this subject has been discussed extensively on other threads and there was no intent to ignore you. Currently there is no option to exactly recreate the old digest feature but as noted, you can subscribe to a thread or even an entire forum to receive some updates. You can configure your subscription updates to arrive daily if you choose.

There is continued effort to find a solution that may be more attractive to some members and as soon as there is any update in this regard, it will be posted. I understand your frustration and hope that you continue to participate at IRV2 - this is a wonderful community and great members and friendly, upbeat atmosphere are the driving reason.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Email Digest Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
There is continued effort to find a solution that may be more attractive to some members and as soon as there is any update in this regard, it will be posted. I understand your frustration and hope that you continue to participate at IRV2 - this is a wonderful community and great members and friendly, upbeat atmosphere are the driving reason.
Is there any news on improving the email subscriptions to provide a digest?

My usage of this forum is down by a factor of 10 because I don't get that early morning email of the postings that I followed. For me, that feature was as good as that 1st cup of coffee in the morning. Now I visit only about once or twice a month.

I did a search on "Email Digest" and "Email Subscriptions" and didn't find anything new regarding improvements.

Has this just fallen off the bottom of the list?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post

My usage of this forum is down by a factor of 10 because I don't get that early morning email of the postings that I followed. For me, that feature was as good as that 1st cup of coffee in the morning. Now I visit only about once or twice a month.

I did a search on "Email Digest" and "Email Subscriptions" and didn't find anything new regarding improvements.

Has this just fallen off the bottom of the list?
I am reading this from a Digest I received during the night. I subscribe to a forum and get a daily update. If I post to a thread, I get an update of the thread also.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Bill,

Click on this link which will take you into the Subscription section of our FAQ's. There's a good explanation in there on how to subscribe to our daily, weekly, and instant notifications.