Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
E-Mail ID's

Does iRV2 now sell or provide our E-Mail addresses to the RV industry? Seems I am getting a huge amount of unwanted E-Mails from RV Dealerships and part companies.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I wouldn't think they are but don't know for sure. Answer to your question will be interesting.

jack

Old 12-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
Does iRV2 now sell or provide our E-Mail addresses to the RV industry? Seems I am getting a huge amount of unwanted E-Mails from RV Dealerships and part companies.
I was beginning to wonder the same thing, John. I seem to get a lot of them too anytime I have been on the forum. I know the tracking cookies seem to have multiplied too.
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Back in the day I remember the website fought hard to keep our identities private. Occasionally a worm program found some ID's but management soon did something to fix it.

I certainly hope our privacy is still worth protecting.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 12-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
iRV2 does not share their member information with anyone.

If you think about it, though, there's a note on the Send a message via email page (via the member's Profile Page) that reads
Quote:
Note: By using this form, your email address will become available to the user who you are emailing.
Here's how I look at it. If I were in the RV or RV related industry (mfr, dealer, consigner, accessories supplier...etc) what better place to go to get information on people who are interested in such products than an RV-ing networking website? - a website with ways to contact such people. Become a registered member on that website & then gain access to other registered member's information, by what they allow others to see via their Public Profile & by using the contact the member links the website provides. It's really easily available information when you get right down to it. And, once those other business entities have your information, who's to say they won't sell or share it. It, then, becomes up to the registered member to decide what, of their personal information, will or will not be available for another registered member to see.

I would say, my first defense would be, to limit the amount of personal information available for other registered members to see. This can be done through the User CP editing options.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
While I've not received any emails of this type (so far), I do get SPAM for other shady, worthless, sales pitches that, for some unknown reason, gets by the Verizon SPAM Detector.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I haven't received any RV related emails either... I'm sure, however, that RV maufacuters and suppliers do like anyone else a run a check through the registrations.. I know that as soon as I register a car I get all kinds of crap..

There are also Bots that do nothing but prowl for emails on forums..
Old 12-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lori - Thanks for the refresher. In case you forgot, I used to be a moderator so I am very familair with the T&C's. I was only asking if there was a change in policy for the site. That is all. Members privicy was always a big concern in the ol days.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
Members privicy was always a big concern in the ol days.
Still is - we don't share info. Period.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to hear that you still do not share. But how is the protection as for farming info from the site other than one at a time. So far, I have not been bothered.

ken
Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Glad to hear that you still do not share. But how is the protection as for farming info from the site other than one at a time. So far, I have not been bothered.

ken
Okay.. here is another question...Does this happen only if you are not logged in? There are times that I come and read...but I never log in. I do get the "cookies/tracking" notification... so is this happening from the tracking cookies even though we don't log in?? I only mention this because I don't get slammed with these emails if I do not come onto the forum...
(By the way- I was also a bit insulted in how NLOVNIT responded. I also help train her - so she should know that I would have my privacy settings set so almost no one could get my personal info.)
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
(By the way- I was also a bit insulted in how NLOVNIT responded. I also help train her - so she should know that I would have my privacy settings set so almost no one could get my personal info.)
I read and re-read the post and believe NLOVNIT did not answer the post directed to you but instead posted to inform the rest of us how to avoid giving out too much personal data. Possibly you read too much as a Moderator Emeritus and not as a reader of the forum. I have read many of your postings and I would like to thank you for all the Service you have given to this forum. I am new to this and many other forums but have gleaned much information from them.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #13

I too read Nlovnit's post as info helping the rest of us. I haven't been bothered by emails either. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I have a great spam filter or something else.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Okay.. here is another question...Does this happen only if you are not logged in? There are times that I come and read...but I never log in. I do get the "cookies/tracking" notification... so is this happening from the tracking cookies even though we don't log in??
)
If you have not cleared your cache, the server recognizes you even if you haven't logged in. (Akin to seeing your friends car parked out front.... you assume they will be coming up your walk soon).

As to the rest... as stated earlier, we don't rent sell or loan personal account info including e-mail addresses. We take substantial precaution to make sure this information is secure but there are certainly other ways to have folks fill your in box with unwanted junk. Anytime you give your e-mail address to a retailer, including some credit card companies, it's likely to be sold based on your spending preferences.

I read recently that spam costs US businesses 70 billion dollars each year. To date, legal action to stem this wretched tide has been fairly ineffective.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote