Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The fact is I have to wait when I should not have to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, you do not. You have already found the way to bypass the system and you use it. You also have a free link to all your photos in your signature.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't post offensive photos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No-one said you did and no-one is singling you out. Unfortunately, there are many who do and this forum is trying to keep them out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Posted by Fleamarketer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On the other hand,I do post from photobucket on the other sites who don't want the same things guys want to keep out of here.Seems photobucket sreens the pics themselfs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think that is true, but I will try out that feature on photobucket and see what happens.
OK, thats it for me. Don't want other members getting mad at me

Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
You "admin" types are making hard for some of us to use these forums.

...... I am not thrilled with the fact that I have to have someone fix my mistakes and wait hours or even days.

Penalize the offenders not the whole community. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Dale, this change really sucks!

Penalize the offenders not the whole community.

How about changing the timeout period from infinity to say 1 day, instead of 15 minutes?????

Why not try phasing in shorter times if the problem persists?

Were the members notified? .... and I jsut miss it?

Having been a member for 6+ years, I've only noticed 3 or 4 topics where an edit confused or screwed up an topic. Out of thousands of posts/topics ....what the big deal if a few get messed up???? What can it be 0.0001 percent of the postings?

This is the first time I've had a complaint about the great job you guys and gals do!
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #18

I agree with Duner 100%!, this is just flat stupid and is penalizing those of us, in my case, just trying to make a correction on one of MY own posts!

Even the competition with x1000% the users doesn't lock the posts down like this.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:Every forum I have been on uses a time out on the editing of a post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> RV.net, Et Al doesn't. The only timer RV.net is running is for showing a flag that it was edited as does this forum.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, so if there are 3 moderators, does that mean we have to send 3 PM's to communicate with the one that is on duty at the time? Do you guys all read each others PM's????
Ok, it's going on midnight here on the West coast, I don't see any moderators log'd in.

I think the Admins really opened up a can of worms, snakes, and skunks too with this change.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Duner-
I did not realize that you were actually expecting a response.

I am just letting everyone vent -since the only thing I can now do for you is to help edit any of your posts.
I did not see you ask to have a post edited.
MM
Old 12-05-2008, 05:13 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
First of all let say I applaud the "volunteer" moderators. You folks are the glue that holds this site together. So, don't take it personal. I just don't agree with your decisions and the approval of those decisions by the owner of the site.

Now to address so of the latest replies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No, you do not. You have already found the way to bypass the system and you use it. You also have a free link to all your photos in your signature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should not have bypass the system. Add to that getting the html code for the photo, from the IRV2 photo site, is not intuitively obvious to the casual user as it is off Photobucket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
No-one said you did and no-one is singling you out. Unfortunately, there are many who do and this forum is trying to keep them out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would you have to have photo approval if it wasn't for a photo that might be offensive to some. I never said I was being singled out... Your penalizing all for the sins of sum.

Lastly, those photo's are COPYRIGHTED by me and I have the right to delete them if I so desire. Also, the content of my posts are my Intellectual Property and I should be able to deleted them at will.

The fact that you can't restrict a single users posting or editing rights is just poor programming. Yes I know the user can just create a new user ID and start over.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Duner-
I did not realize that you were actually expecting a response.

I am just letting everyone vent -since the only thing I can now do for you is to help edit any of your posts.
I did not see you ask to have a post edited.
MM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that is not what this thread is about."Letting everyone vent".You could be a forerunner telling the powers that may be the board members who make up this board have told you this is a bad decision that needs changing.I certainly have never post offending pics either.Until recently I too have never complained about the rules of this board.I do think the censorship is abit over the top limiting good folks to say what they want and limiting good nature humor.As I said in another thread,it is "stuffy" in many,many,cases.Trust me,you can have good info and a ability to laugh at yourself and laugh at other members too.The mixed msg of sections available on this site and then limiting what can be said is confusing.Along with what other posters here have said too,being a good standing memeber,WHY wasn't I informed of a pending change before hand.Wouldn't it been better to hand this then??.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #24

If this board is so worried about deleted posts, why not do like RV.net does, and you can go back ANY TIME and "edit" the content of your own posts, but you can never "delete" them. The post still there, but the content can be deleted by the poster, so the post is blank with the words "edited by the poster with the date".

If this "no edit", "no delete" continues, this board is going to take a tremendous public relations hit.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #25
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The new software platform that we'll be moving to (vBulletin) shortly will have better procedures for photos. Currently, the Groupee Infopop software we're using doesn't have such a feature so several years ago we bought a separate software package (PhotoPost PHP) and linked it to the forums so we could provide this photo feature to members. Hence, the separate login requirement and the need for copying the URL from photo album and pasting it into the post. We understand it's not the best but it was all we could afford to buy at the time.

We don't care if you use another photo album such as Photobucket, we just want to offer something to our members. If you don't like it, don't use it.

In regard to the edit/delete policy, the changes put in place recently are in alignment with the provisions of the new platform (vBulletin) that we're developing for this site. We plan to retain that feature, although we are currently discussing the 15 minute grace period that immediately follows making a post. Many other forums have such a limit and it's not unusual to have one. Our rationale has already been explained.

Understandably, a few of our more vocal members who've chosen to make some unprofessional presentations in this thread don't like what we're doing and if any of you decide to leave these forums we'll understand and wish you well as you leave. We regret losing any members but we realize there are many RV forums out there for you to choose from. Hopefully you'll choose one with rules to your liking.

Of course, it goes without saying, that any of you could also contact one of the many good web hosting companies out there and exercise your right to start your own RV forum with rules of your own choosing. If you remain here you'll be restricted to the rules this site has established which are set for the overall best interest of all of our members.

Considering that this thread has answered the original question and has also addressed some additional issues interjected into it, it no longer serves a useful purpose to continue this discussion. After making this post I will be closing it to additional posts. If any of you desire, you're welcome to send me or any of the other administrators or the owner of this site a PM to express your dissatisfaction for what we do here. If you have another issue to discuss we welcome your input.

Regards,
Administrator

Closed Thread