Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Edit Postings

Has the administration ever looked into changing the EDIT procedures. On other forums, the OP can edit the post at any time. Often a post may be typed quickly, typed on a phone or the poster just has a brain fart, but the post can't be edited at a later date to make corrections.

I'm on a few other automobile forums that allow the OP to edit anytime after the post is made. In all the years I've been on those other forums, it has never become an issue. Actually, it often lets someone add some additional info or even retract something they no longer want to say.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

The one reason I can think idling, and there are probably others, is let's say you are selling something on a forum. You have included all of the parts and/or pieces. Before you can get it sold, someone one offers to buy just one of the widgets in the package you have advertised, and you sell it individually. Then someone that has already looked at your ad decided to buy the package and when they receive it, there is a part missing that was in the original ad. If you are allowed to edit the ad, you could change it and say.....I never had that listed in my ad.

I'm not saying it's a common thing, but it has happened, then it become an argument.
Two of the forums that I moderate, we don't ever delete a For Sale item, it just gets edited as Sold and then locked down.....that way the entire conversation (posts) and pictures are there.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Edit Postings

The 60 minute edit time limit is there to protect the integrity of the thread. If you posted something and others have commented on it or quoted it and then you changed it or removed it , the thread wouldn't make any sense to others that read it. You can quote a post of your own and mention what you want to add or delete from the previous one. You can use the "contact us " link at the bottom of every page and if there hasn't been a response to a post of yours , we'd consider editing it for you. As far as ads go , these can be edited at anytime. There's no time limit on them.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
What I've seen happen on another forum to which I used to belong that had no limit on post editing was several posts were made & months later the poster edited out info & removed pictures in order to make their posts appear to mean something completely different than what they originally stated. It changed the entire meaning of the thread. There were accusations about what the person wrote & that person denying they ever posted what they did even though people knew darned well the posts had been changed. It got kind of nasty.

Not saying that it would happen here, but it could & that's another reason for a time limit on editing. 60 minutes is plenty of time to correct typos & as Cliff stated, there's always making a reply post with updated info or Contact Us & we'll consider editing for you. I always do a Preview Post before submitting, just in case I might've fat-fingered something while typing.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
...later the poster edited out info & removed pictures in order to make their posts appear to mean something completely different than what they originally stated. ...
I witnessed the same thing on another forum. That situation contributed to the forum's eventual demise. A limited time to edit may be occasionally inconvenient, but it maintains coherent threads.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
TR4

Can the entire thread that you stared be removed?

Bill
Old 05-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
No. Threads, which have replies, cannot be removed.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:25 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Please resend as your message was not included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael duet View Post
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy. TST 507 TPMS

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote