Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #197

I think any slow-down is caused by all the ads irv2 tries to load, plain and simple. I suggested turning off all or some or some of the ads to see what happened and got no reply.

They claim over 105,000 members, but how many are still here?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #198

Newmar Owners Club
Do you get the jump in the page I am talking about Dunner?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #199

When I click on an email notification, it jumps right to the top of the first post that I have not read, with about a 10 ms pause.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #200

Winnebago Owners Club
Wayne: I accept your answer.

The follow-on question (and last), why only on IRV2.

I am a computer "slow learner".

Kerry
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #201

Alpine Owners Club
I'll give this one a shot, not sure if I'm right but the way I understand it.

Browsers rely on code or to put it another way a "language" HTML/XML or whatever the latest and greatest is to display colors/text and pictures. That's why some websites say "optimized for IE" and such. If one of the ads is using code that is not compatible with the IE it will cause IE to hang or not load properly. FF and Opera are much simpler (and smaller/faster) browsers and apparently don't have the issue.

The fact that the people who are using FF/Opera are not seeing the slowness that the people who are using IE are and the fact that it's a recent event tells me there are 2 possibilities.

1. IE pushed out an "update" that is no longer compatible with some lines of code on the site or in one of the ads.

2. The site or one of the ads recently started using code that is not read well by IE.

Either way there are thousands or millions of lines of code involved in a site this large making finding the problem a herculean task. I do know from my time as a webmaster of our Jeep club's site that if I make a small syntax error when writing Java I can cause the whole page to hang. It only takes a small error to make the line of code unreadable.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #202
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First, I'm using Firefox on a MAC, but I do use it on a PC Laptop also - just want to get that out of the way since so many posts do not identify the type of operating system or browser and it makes it very difficult for users with the same system to respond, and many that don't have that system respond with information that is of no help.

This is general"

I'm sorry all, but I don't want to take the time to do the research, but I did just search on "IE8 slow" without the quotes and saw many, many items reporting IE8 slow.

You say that "I'm no slow on other sites," and that is as true as a 24 hour day. Does it matter what is loading on the site? Yes it most certainly does. Some browsers are notorious for having to load the entire web page, ads and all, before one can start viewing, so when you click on a thread filled with adds it is going to require the browser to load all the adds, then it tells the browser that it is ready to view the page and it switches.

Computer speed, internet speed, browser capabilities, adds, and page features are considerations when "computing" how fast something is working in the browser world.

It seems the iRV2 relies on not only supporters, but Google ads for some of their revenue. The more space Google can get, most likely the more revenue for the iRV2 maintenance. Consider that Google just has a like on the web site, strategically placed, and the link loads the "Ad-Of-The-Day" or hour, or whatever time schedule they have decided. Let us suppose that the first hour is an add that is about 5 kb in size. It may only take a split second for it to load in the browser window. Now let assume that the second hour for that one link is an ad that is 5 mb, (hypothetical), the load time is going to be greater. The moving ads will take more time.

If the browser you are using requires a complete load of all the information on a page before it switches over, then that browser is going to be slow.

Also consider that any update to any software program on the operating computer "MAY" cause other problems including problems to the way a browser is operating. It is not supposed to happen that way, but trust me - updates can be demoralizing. Any update, it just happens.

I truly do sympathize with anyone who is having computer problems, or slow Internet. I do know how frustrating it is.

Happy trails.

Edited: I was typing this as Daveshan posted his response and his response is a good one.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #203

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks.

Kerry
Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #204
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And I know ad is short for advertisement and add is a plus. I think my fingers were tired and resting on the "D" key. Oh, and "like" is link. Stupidity, dyslexia (not) and just plain..... well, you supply the descriptive adjective.

Sometimes typing at 70+ words per minute is a downfall also.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #205

I knew what you meant. The many forums I have been on has "conditioned" me.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
I'll give this one a shot, not sure if I'm right but the way I understand it.

Browsers rely on code or to put it another way a "language" HTML/XML or whatever the latest and greatest is to display colors/text and pictures. That's why some websites say "optimized for IE" and such. If one of the ads is using code that is not compatible with the IE it will cause IE to hang or not load properly. FF and Opera are much simpler (and smaller/faster) browsers and apparently don't have the issue.

The fact that the people who are using FF/Opera are not seeing the slowness that the people who are using IE are and the fact that it's a recent event tells me there are 2 possibilities.

1. IE pushed out an "update" that is no longer compatible with some lines of code on the site or in one of the ads.

2. The site or one of the ads recently started using code that is not read well by IE.

Either way there are thousands or millions of lines of code involved in a site this large making finding the problem a herculean task. I do know from my time as a webmaster of our Jeep club's site that if I make a small syntax error when writing Java I can cause the whole page to hang. It only takes a small error to make the line of code unreadable.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #207
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I knew what you meant. The many forums I have been on has "conditioned" me.
I don't care what others say about you, I think you are okay!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I don't care what others say about you, I think you are okay!
I often wonder how many people have me on "Ignore" for calling it like it is.

I can't compare irv2 to other forums as none I have been on have as many ads as it does. My suggestion to turn off some ads, to see if the offensive could be identified, was not addressed, either for financial or legal reasons.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #209
doc

Appalachian Campers
I am at the point where I am about to put iRV2 on the ignore list. It is ridiculous to have to wait for some times as much as 30 seconds or a minute for something to load. Especially when I can go to RV.net and it cranks right up.
Don't hand me the line about it doesn't cost anything. Every time you visit this site, a hit is registered and iRV2 gets a payment from the ad company. As much as I enjoy the site and have friends here, I just don't want to do this silly waiting game any more.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #210
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just loaded Firefox. Loads are going much faster!
Thanks Wayne!