Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #85
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I don't agree with this Wayne, People have along with me stated the all other internet surfing is fast page loading, anywhere I go and when I surf around on IRV2 it is way slower than any other web pages. It was good and fast loading after the facelift and now......
I'm not asking anyone to agree, just to check out the other options until a final solution is obtained. I have my own web site that I manage. it is for family and friends. I have set up my web pages to not be indexed by Google. If you know the exact name of my web site you can find it by searching, but otherwise not by general searches. My point is that when changes are made things sometimes break. By reporting the situation and as much specific information as possible it gives the developers something to work with. Just saying it is slow does not help anyone. And then, why is it not slow for everyone? Has anyone, anyone considered that it is the software that they are using, that maybe, just maybe something changed and that change can be on either side?

Why is it so ingrained into some people that the only method of accessing the Internet is Internet Explorer. Try another option just to see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
I have decided to reduce the aggravation level caused by the slow response here on iRV2. I will just reduce my visits here by 90% until I see an improvement. I guess it is my way of "voting with my feet" or something to that effect. Great site but I have better things to do than sit and sit and sit waiting for things to happen here. The more of us that vote this way the sooner something might be done.
Nitehawk, I don't know you, and I don't remember reading anything else that you have posted. I'm not trying to start any type of verbal misunderstanding, but I just feel that I have to say this. Do you really think that even 50% of the people on here were to leave that it would affect any of the rest of us? I really enjoy this forum. I would miss some of the people that may leave for their expert input. However, given time the numbers would be back up with new users and more experts and no one would then be missed. You have every right to move on, and the rest of us will just stick around until the times are better for those suffering a slow internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
I'm not going to read through pages of posts on this issue. Facts are this; I visit many forums. I really like the vibe and people here but the performance of this site is lacking. It's not my settings or network, it has to do with the architecture of the site and/or the servers employed. My set up works to my expectation on most forums but lacks performance here.
Koop, ever try to figure out why EVERYONE is not having a problem. That is the puzzling factor to me. I'm sitting here fat, dumb, and happy that I am not having the problem that other users are having. Granted, I have not fired up the PC to see if that has a problem, I'm happy on the MAC using Firefox. Not a single problem on this end. Strange?

Come on folks. How about providing some constructive criticism instead of all the negativism. "It's slow, it doesn't work well," is not going to help the developers or admins at all.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Well I'm not a computer whiz just a guy wanting to use the site. I buy my computers at the store and take them to the repair shop to be fixed. Last time I was on this site 6-7 months ago it was speedy. It's getting close to spring now and I get all excited about doing something on the MH. That I can work on. Give me a water heater, stove, lights, hitches, gages, mechanical stuff and I'll fix it. 6-7 mo ago when the search said 1.9 seconds it came up quick. Now the search still shows 1.9 seconds but it takes a slow minute to load. other sites still are quick. I'll try to try the ideas presented here and hope they work. Changing pages is slow, slow. I usualy click another tab while waiting and read something else and come back to irv2. Sorry guys.....I don't know all that stuff about routers, chagers, switchers etc etc. and all that other stuff about computers. and I don't want to know. But I can tell when a site loads slower/faster than other sites. Like 15-25 other sites i use.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I

Why is it so ingrained into some people that the only method of accessing the Internet is Internet Explorer. Try another option just to see!!

I'm happy on the MAC using Firefox. Not a single problem on this end. Strange?

Come on folks. How about providing some constructive criticism instead of all the negativism. "It's slow, it doesn't work well," is not going to help the developers or admins at all.
I am along with others I am sure running the same system with no changes, I notice along with others and report a problem of being slow, with no changes to my system (new laptop in house also with the same slowness) what do you expect me to report? I guess I get your point Wayne that if I went out and spent $3,000.00 on a Mac and downloaded fire fox that it would cure my problem, thanks. I have always run the system that I have on all my computers with no problems. I had firefox once and did not like it, maybe I will try it again and see what happens, but I don't see why I need to do this just to speed up one web page that I am having a problem with? Time will tell.....
Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
It appears to me that the people that are "IRV2 supporters" are not having any problems, is it possable that they are on a different bandwidth ? By the way it took me about 80 seconds to get to this post reply page...
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #89

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This site works very well on my laptop using Foxfire or Chrome. It is just about unworkable using Internet Explorer. Maybe some problems with just this site using IE as browser. I haven't used IE in a long time, and just tried it out of curiosity, it is very, very slow on irv2 site it is also quite a bit slower on other sites on the internet compared to using FF or Chrome. My laptop is an old Toshiba, using Vista Home Premium as the OS.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #90
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
OK folks, let's look at the facts here!

I don't see how we can blame the ads, they have been there all the time and this problem just started!

My computer is set for automatic updates so I know I have the latest version of everything, so that's out!

I have Norton 360 which checks and protects me from viruses and also automatically scans the system every night for other problems. Nothing there!

I have SpyBot which I'm told is one of the best spyware/malware programs. I run it on a regular basis. Nothing there!

Yes, I run IE and don't plan to change. I shouldn't have to change browsers to fix a problem that is only on this one site!

How can you think it's a problem with our computers when so many people are suddenly having this problem and there are no problems on any other sites we visit?

I'm definitely not a computer geek and don't have a clue where to start figuring out this problem, but I sure hope somebody else here does! I LOVE IRV2 and the folks on here, but I don't need this frustration at my age! No, I'm not abandoning IRV2 cause I think it's the best RV site on the web, but I can't help but believe that the techies that maintain this site can't figure out what is going on!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #91
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The issue is most likely with older version of Internet Explorer (as I posed in my previous post). Each browser has an underlying technology called a rendering engine. WebKit is the rendering engine for Safari and Chrome (link to Wikipedia for WebKit), Gecko is the rendering engine for Firefox (link to Wikipedia for Gecko) and Internet Explorer uses Trident (link to Wikipedia for Trident). Each one handles pages differently and that's why some are faster then others. For example, some older version of IE wait for every single element of the page to be downloaded before showing anything to the user. On the other hand others (more modern browsers) will render the page as the items download to speed up the user's experience.

One factor that probably slows things down for members on older IE browsers is the right hand column. As I have posted in the past, consider turn that off so there is less on the page that needs to be rendered. It also helps because the page loads from top >> Left Column >> Right Column >> Footer. So, in the older browsers it would not render the left column until the everything int the Footer was downloaded. In the newer ones it renders the page as it downloads and does not wait until the end. So please try disabling the right hand column if you are experiencing slow page loads.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #92
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Andy. It makes a better point than I was trying to make.

Some info: A web site is developed using the present software. Let us say it works on all the browser "engines." Then one day an update to the browser comes down the pipe. It is updated on the user's computer and all of a sudden simple things don't seem to work anymore. Who's fault is it, well not really anyone's as it is impossible to develop a piece of software and not have a bug or three in it, or a nuisance to say the least of moving a GUI or a label to some other place.

Things change. The Universe changes. Many state that they use this, or that, or that or this and that is fine. What I'm saying is TRY one of the other browsers. If Firefox is slow, try Chrome, Safari, or IE. IF Chrome is slow, try one of the other three. As Andy stated they don't all work the same. There are differences.

You like IE. I don't because it is a memory hog and presents tool bars that I have to go in and disable because the slow things down FOR ME. Every one of the tool bars that are displayed in any browser has the potential to cause some type of interference depending on their interactions.

And if you try another browser or three and the site is still slow, still don't blame the site. It may be something in your computer. It could be your browser cache, it could be your disk cache (You did know you have a disk cache, right) it could be that you visited a site that is loading what it thinks you want to see in background so when you want to see it it is right there. I hate that one. And why would I think that could be the problem. Face it, we are all on the same forum, we click the same links and we have the potential to acquire things we really don't want from the Internet, then it comes down to how the browser handles those things.

It is not a simple situation ladies and gentlemen, computers are complicated. Software is complicated. Andy and team are working on it. Trust me it is a monstrous task and it will not resolve itself and it takes time. It also requires information from the users that are having problems.

It's like saying, "My motorhome doesn't work." Duh! What doesn't work, what are the symptoms, what have you tried to make it work? Have you had ANY success by changing this or changing that or trying this or trying that.

"Dear Lord, give me patience and give it to me RIGHT NOW!"

Try something. Try something different. It is not the end of the world to use a different program as a test. Then report your findings so "The Team" can use the findings to troubleshoot.

Personally, it is not iRV2 it is the software that one is using, or a combination of things on a user's computer. Since Safari, Chrome, and Firefox don't seem to have the problems that IE does, I strongly suspect that there is something wrong in the way IE is handling the web site.

To the programmers, the team, many html pages require an additional statement (style) to indicate the course of action for a particular web browser. Any luck with that?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #93

Wayne_M,

I wasn't going to respond to you, but after thinking about it some more I have decided it might be necessary. NOTE: I rarely take exception to what others say or what their opinions are. EVERYONE has a right to their opinion. Also NOTE: I understand where you could be frustrated at users complaining about IRV2, but you also have to understand where they are coming from. This is not meant to start a word battle but is my take on what is and has happened with this problem.

To me, your "recommendation" that we all use something else because we have a problem doesn't make sense. If you buy a car and the "Check Engine Light" comes on and the car stops performng well, do you immediately throw that car away and get another one? Normally people go to the car manufacturer and get a diagnosis and hopefully a repair. This problem is no different. IRV2 is a product used by many users, some of which are having a major problem. They are reporting it to the "manufacturer" as best they can, and they are looking for a "fix". There is no productive reason to get into an argument about which browser is better. That's like arguing about which car is better. They all "work". Some prefer one versus the other for whatever reason. That isn't the issue here. Users don't have access to the background "stuff" that IRV2 uses. Their only contact is with IRV2.

As a retired applications engineer with 30 years experience writng "real" program code that controls manufacturing complexes, I have some knowledge of how systems are supposed to work. If new hardware or a new application program is to be installed, it MUST be compatible with the exiting manufacturing hardware and software. You just don't go replace 200 million dollars worth of equipment so you can install a new program. Having said that I also understand that IRV2 does not write their own control code, they purchase a package from a vendor, and are subject to, in so many words, the whims of the vendor who for whatever reason decides to change the operating system. It really doesn't matter why they change.

So, now let's look at the "real" issues IMO. Users of varying experience levels are complaining of slow response times on IRV2 and no other site they visit. Many of those users probably have Windows IE as their browser, since the majority of personal PCs, etc. have come with Windows operating software. None of those users had this problem until recently. It seems obvious to me that something has changed recently, and the change most likely has to do with the site, new code running the site, or a path change to the site where the problem exists. So rather than being defensive about the issues, or suggesting people can leave the site if they don't like it does not solve anything.

Since the level of expertise in the user population is varied from Novice to Expert, it seems to me you need to be patient with them as much as you want them to be patient with IRV2.

My recommendations to IRV2 to resolve this issue is to consider adding an area on the site or sending a PM to all users from the IRV2 "computer folks" acknowledging the problem and stating we are working diligently to fix it. Any information those users that are having problems can provide will help us resolve the issue more quickly. If we users can see there is an effort by those who can "fix" the problem, all will be willing to assist and wait for the "fix".

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #94

Alpine Owners Club
Just an FYI and data point,

I run Firefox with adblock plus, I never bothered to click on this thread 'cause the pages were loading very quickly. I just disabled adblock and all of a sudden the pages loaded very slowly.

My guess is one of the ads has a very slow server and the affected browsers are waiting for it to load before displaying the pages.

No expert but did do a lot of IT troubleshooting in my last gig before retirement.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #95
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Update:

I broke down and fired up the PC. I'm on the PC laptop right now using WiFi at the Stick House. I have both FF and IE up. I am in IE typing this at this moment.

I am running IE Version 9. Firefox is version 18. I always let my computer update automatically so I ensure that I have the most up-to-date software.

Here is what I found

Using IE9 my load time of any iRV2 web page after I clicked on it was betweeen 2-3
seconds.(short side of 3 seconds) Howevrer I could not scroll down for 5-6 seconds.

Using FF18 my load time of any iRV2 web page after I clicked on it was between 1-2 (shortside of 2 seconds) and my scrolling was instantaneious. As soon as the page was in view I could start scrolling down.

I used Speedtest.net to test my internet connection speed. The Download is 23.75 Mbps and the Upload is 3.66 Mbps and a ping time of 5 ms.

So in conclusion, Internet Explorer 9 is slightly slower than Firefox 18.0. Only slightly slower on page switching, but then IE has to wait for all of the items on a page to load whereas FF starts the viewing and interaction process almost immediatley.

Yes, IE is slower, but only by seconds, not many seconds or minutes on this laptop. I have a very fast network service and that could be a problem to anyone on DSL or slower WiFi. When a browser is waiting for items to download before it can begin it's process - slower speeds will exacrerbate the slower load time.

If you have lived with the 6 or 7 seconds of IE in the past, and you are experiencing a longer period of time I suspect that it is your connectivity to the Interent. If you have a speed that is high, like 20 Mbps and are still seeing long load times the problem most likely is in your system. That is just my humble opinion.

Good luck. Especially if you do not want to TRY a faster browswer.

End of my IE9 posting.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Just installed chrome. It's back to being fast, fast. Didn't really want to down load something else but did anyway. Something has changed.... I don't know if with irv2 or something else Like I said in prev post 6-7 months ago site was fast on old browser.

So I'm happy now......but didn't really want to add chrome.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #97

Daveshan,

That is an interesting observation, and could very possibly point to the problem. IRV2 IT folks, is it possible a new "ad" has been added that is causing the problem? I certainly notice I can load the HOME page in < 2 seconds without difficulty, but when I click on the Forums, or load the forum page independently, the response time is basically terrible. I also notice the "hang occurs after the base screen is loaded and the "ads" are being loaded. Something to look at maybe.

Wayne_M,

Just one more comment, you are running IE9 because you have windows 7 or 8. Any windows operating system older than Windows 7 can not use IE9. Those with XP or older most run IE8. We live in the country and only have ATT DSL, which is not the best, but that's what have. Normal response times for almost any site are <2 seconds, then some short time cycle (never checked it) to complete the operation. However, my tracert report indicates a slow response with networklayer.com which is part of the IRV2 system. I believe someone is looking into why that is the case.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #98
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just downloaded Firefox to try and IRV2 is lightning fast! Obviously the problem has something to do with IE8. Maybe knowing this will help you guys to figure it out! Good luck!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote