Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #1

Jumping Smilies

All those moving and jumping smilies are driving me mad. They make reading the thread a problem.

I generally just don't read them. I also don't read threads that have a page of text without any paragraph break. A little remerberance of nineth grade english composition would be greatly appreciated. White space in text is golden.

wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
O.K.

Anything else you would like to share?

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #3

Agreed Wil! That sort of kindergarten stuff got a bit stale about 60 years ago.

If you are using Firefox, then you can install an add-on called adblock plus. It is primarily designed to get rid of advertising but you can either individually block certain emoticons by its "address" or block an entire group of emoticons according to the URL of the site that provides them. Can also get rid of silly images in signatures as well as individual avatars if you want. Doesn't do much for flash stuff unfortunately.

I can't see any emoticons on this site and that makes for easier reading unless I strike one of those LOL compulsives.

I'd have to disagree with you about punctuation and grammar standards. We all live in multicultural societies that have huge proportions of people whose first language is not English. Others have disabilities which make their writings very non-standard. Others, including one poster in this topic, have pretty ordinary abilities in the spelling and proof-reading department (2 spelling and one capitalisation), but I wouldn't see that as reason to worry too much - merely a refusal to use a standard spell-checker..
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
All those moving and jumping smilies are driving me mad. They make reading the thread a problem.

I generally just don't read them. I also don't read threads that have a page of text without any paragraph break. A little remerberance of nineth grade english composition would be greatly appreciated. White space in text is golden.
Go to User CP Top(ish) Left (left of Register) - Go to Edit Options - Scroll down to Tread Display Options and uncheck Show Avatars. I believe that will will turn them off. As for pp in writing - it's a social forum not an English class - but a pretty educated group if you can put up with there quirks.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Go to User CP Top(ish) Left (left of Register) - Go to Edit Options - Scroll down to Tread Display Options and uncheck Show Avatars. I believe that will will turn them off. As for pp in writing - it's a social forum not an English class - but a pretty educated group if you can put up with there quirks.
Actually, "avatars" are the pictures displaying on the left under the username. As far as I know there is no way to turn off the smilies in User CP.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW

Actually, "avatars" are the pictures displaying on the left under the username. As far as I know there is no way to turn off the smilies in User CP.
Drat. Some things best left to the pros!
Thanks Sarah.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I can't say much about the smilies, I only use them occasionally, but they also don't distract me when I am reading someone elses post.

The one thing I want to point out is that alot of folks here are not typist and posting is a challange for them. Some folks are not as educated as others. I have a friend who has had 4 strokes. He is hard to understand sometimes, but I would never say don't post if you can't post 'correctly'. There is so much great information on this forum, no matter how it is presented.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Drat. Some things best left to the pros!
Thanks Sarah.
Let me know when a pro shows up; I'll have lots of questions.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW

Let me know when a pro shows up; I'll have lots of questions.
Somebody hand me the paper towels - got coffee all over my monitor.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
I can't say much about the smilies, I only use them occasionally, but they also don't distract me when I am reading someone elses post.

The one thing I want to point out is that alot of folks here are not typist and posting is a challange for them. Some folks are not as educated as others. I have a friend who has had 4 strokes. He is hard to understand sometimes, but I would never say don't post if you can't post 'correctly'. There is so much great information on this forum, no matter how it is presented.
eye coodn't ahgee ne moore, well put
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dare ain't no postes that I Kanot reed.

As for the smiley, well, it is very difficult to see the "tone" of a post and sometimes it really is necessary to include the smiley to ensure that the reader knows that the poster is smirking.

Just look at Steve's signature. He's jumping with joy for his, long time to go yet, retirement.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
Dare ain't no postes that I Kanot reed.

As for the smiley, well, it is very difficult to see the "tone" of a post and sometimes it really is necessary to include the smiley to ensure that the reader knows that the poster is smirking.

Just look at Steve's signature. He's jumping with joy for his, long time to go yet, retirement.
Thanks for the reminder Wayne! But we are planning our work and working our plan!! Got this little tree the other day for our first Christmas on the road.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4244715237.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	629.6 KB
ID:	30120

Most of my posts are from the iPhone so I don't have many smilies in my posts. Only one I can remember is and it doesn't jump.
Ho Ho Ho
Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
A little remerberance of nineth grade english composition would be greatly appreciated.
You know what drives me bats? People that can't spell.
A little remembrance of ninth grade spelling would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Francesca,

You go girl. Love the jumping smilies wave, where did you find it?

lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote