Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Login timeout

Question: Is the timeout of my session login user configurable? Twice I have been typing a fairly lengthy post while being interrupted by normal stuff at home-- talking to my wife, pouring another cup of coffee, etc.-- When I return to post my piece I get a login page, and then another page saying iRV2 couldn't process my post because blah blah blah... and then I find that my entire post has been lost in the process.

I know, I know..... I should write in notepad or something so I'm covered against this sort of thing, but that doesn't address the fact that the system is defective. Can I configure the timeout so I won't get dropped off?

Thanks

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi. If you've checked the box that says " keep me logged in " then you will be automatically logged in each time you visit the site. If you are in active for 60 minutes you will be taken offline ( not logged out ). This is not adjustable. So if you're away sipping that coffee for 60 minutes , anything you were working on will be gone. If this is not the case then we can only say it must be a setting in your computer. Hope this helps.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One more thing. We do site maintenance each day ( usually early AM ). I get knocked off everyday at that instance . It is an inconvenience but a necessary one. Once again , hope this helps.
Cliff

Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for your help, Cliff. Let me dig a little deeper.

1) I have avoided the "keep me logged in" box because I assumed it meant that the iRV2 system would keep me logged in to iRV2 even when I disconnected and shut off my computer- which I would not want. Apparently this is not the case. Apparently, "keep me logged in" actually means "log me in automatically whenever I show up here, and keep me logged in only until I leave". Is that correct? If that's what the check box actually means, then I should do that.

2) I've seen the caution here and elsewhere about xx minutes of inactivity. Query: does typing a response constitute activity, or is some other specific activity required, like a page change or posting activity? In my cases, I've not been away from the keyboard longer than 10-15 minutes, but may have exceeded an hour between posting or paging activity. Please clarify.

Thanks.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Thanks for your help, Cliff. Let me dig a little deeper.

1) I have avoided the "keep me logged in" box because I assumed it meant that the iRV2 system would keep me logged in to iRV2 even when I disconnected and shut off my computer- which I would not want. Apparently this is not the case. Apparently, "keep me logged in" actually means "log me in automatically whenever I show up here, and keep me logged in only until I leave". Is that correct? If that's what the check box actually means, then I should do that.

2) I've seen the caution here and elsewhere about xx minutes of inactivity. Query: does typing a response constitute activity, or is some other specific activity required, like a page change or posting activity? In my cases, I've not been away from the keyboard longer than 10-15 minutes, but may have exceeded an hour between posting or paging activity. Please clarify.

Thanks.
#1. Yes , you've got it correct .

#2 . This is above my pay grade however you're inactivity ( no movement on the forum , typing doesn't count ) for 60 minutes is the answer to your issues.
Cliff

Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Page changes, scrolling up/down a page, and just about anything that would cause your computer to interact with the site is activity.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
One more thing. We do site maintenance each day ( usually early AM ). I get knocked off everyday at that instance . It is an inconvenience but a necessary one. Once again , hope this helps.
Cliff
I'm up at all hours of the night and get the "maintenance" message, but never get knocked off. I just retry in a few minutes and all is good.

If I'm not active for a long time, I get a message to use the back button and/or refresh the page, but never get knocked off.

Tip: When you compose a long message, hit ctrl a and then ctrl c. It will save your work in memory. Just use ctrl v to paste it.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post

I'm up at all hours of the night and get the "maintenance" message, but never get knocked off. I just retry in a few minutes and all is good.

If I'm not active for a long time, I get a message to use the back button and/or refresh the page, but never get knocked off.
When maintenance is being preformed the entire site is offline ( users are " knocked off " ( my term ) not logged off.
The reason you can refresh your page after long absences is because you've chosen the keep me logged on option. The OP hadn't done that.