Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #1

I asked this once before and was told that it would be considered; however, I have heard nothing more about it.

There are a lot of retired military and some active duty military who are RVers and are on IRV2. There are some things which we have that are different from the norm, such as military bases having RV parks. I've only been able to find one Military RV formum: http://military.rvforums.com. VA and TriCare are a couple of other items we have that the non-veteran has to deal with.

The government is fixing to raise the TriCare fees (including the standard). You can read about it at www.VietnamVeterans391.org under TriCare.

I, for one, would like to see a Military/Veteran Forum on IRV2. Anyone else?
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #2

I asked this once before and was told that it would be considered; however, I have heard nothing more about it.

There are a lot of retired military and some active duty military who are RVers and are on IRV2. There are some things which we have that are different from the norm, such as military bases having RV parks. I've only been able to find one Military RV formum: http://military.rvforums.com. VA and TriCare are a couple of other items we have that the non-veteran has to deal with.

The government is fixing to raise the TriCare fees (including the standard). You can read about it at www.VietnamVeterans391.org under TriCare.

I, for one, would like to see a Military/Veteran Forum on IRV2. Anyone else?

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-26-2006, 06:07 AM   #3

I have found 2 that I occassionally use for info.
www.militarycampgrounds,us
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/military camping

2006 National Seabreeze
FloridaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:07 AM   #4

Yes, I knew about the militarycampgrounds web site. I also have the Military RV, Camping & Outdoor Recreation book.

On our trip when we leave Temecula, we'll be staying at either Desert Breeze or Gila Bend for one night and then on to Davis-Monthan for a couple of nights and then down to Apache Flats which I hear is very nice.

I'm working on the schedule for our return to Northern California. This is our very first big trip and we're kind of excited...actually wishing we had more time down there as there is so much to see.

Thanks for the links.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-26-2006, 07:08 AM   #5

I was never in the military so this wouldn't be a benifit for me. That being said, I think a military forum would be a great idea. I am sypathetic to the plight of our military men and women and wouldn't mind you getting your own forum. I of course have no say in this.

I would however suggest that to be fair to the other members the moderators should take a poll and let the chips fall where they may. This would allow other members to see what our men and women are going thru without "cluttering up other forums" or "inflamming other people senses".

You either go to the new forum to keep up or you stay away. It's like complaining you don't like FOX News or Bill O'Reilly but you can't seem to change the channel. Your suggestion sounds like a win, win for all. Good luck!

460 EFI C6 Transmission
TruckMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #6

Hey George, I didn't retire but I did serve 8 years. I think your idea is a good one. I don't know how many people read this section of the forums so you might check with the moderators to see if it's okay to post this to other forums. You need to get the information spread around before you can get feed back. Good luck with it.
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #7

Thanks for the support. I've been to the military camping and Yahoo forums and they are a PITA. The format on IRV2 is excellent.

I'm not thinking of making this forum a gripe session about military problems...just RV related...info about military campgrounds, getting on-base with the RV, things like that. BTW, if you don't have to be retired to use the military campgrounds. If you are 100% disabled, service-connected. Most of the military campgrounds will accept you.

I mentioned the TriCare thing because us retired military have this as our health insurance and it's important especially as we're traveling to different areas of the country.

Also, as pointed out, others get to learn a bit about the military retiree who spent at least 20 years serving our country. There are many veterans who enjoy being with other veterans.

In this time of higher gas prices, saving $$$, especially for military retired is paramount. For instance, when we go to Temecula and Apache Flats, we only staying 1 night at a private campground in Bakersfield. In Temecula, that is a county park and part of the Rally. Upon leaving Temecula, we will stop at 29 Palms (USMC RV camp) and then on to Davis-Monthan AFB, and finally to Fort Huacuaca (Army). Davis is the most expensive at $20, but the others are $13 or less with full hookups. Most military RV camps are less than $15. Some have very few spaces such as the Sharps Army Depot in Lathrop, CA ($6).

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #8

So, George, if this were to take place.....would you be interested in a moderator position for the forum? Hmmmmm?

Chet
1st.Cav
3/18th Arty
RVN 65-67
Old 02-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #9

I hadn't really thought about that part of it; but, yes, I would consider it. I think IRV2 is great and has help me personally and would be happy to give some back.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Webster; I posted a tid bit along with Chet's request to the higher ups, The big thing is we need to show that it would be a used forum. If we can show for example that folks are seeing the Tri Care topic (which I thank you for)IRV2 loves to add useful areas but when one gets started and not used it takes away from other areas. A military campground information area would be great because they open and close them with the bases and we don't get changes to the book. We will keep trying on the inside side and you keep leading the information post from out here.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:27 AM   #11

Okay...I posted a poll and hopefully that should give an indication of how many of us veterans (as well as non-veterans) might use it.

In going over the other forums, I'm sure that as many would use the Military/Veteran Forum as do the Class C (21 topics/158 responses) or even the Golden State Forum (53 topics/342 responses). Of course I don't know how long they have been on IRV2, but I've been a member for over 6 months and they were there when I joined.

Considering the other Military RV forums I've seen and/or joined, I would very much prefer one here on IRV2 as the format and mission are excellent. So, please go to the Military/Veteran RV Forum post and cast your vote. It is appreciated!

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #12

Okay, guys!

I just posted the poll around noon and the voting has begun. 63% at this moment have said yes and 13% said they would use it some times. Only 25% have said they wouldn't use it.

This post has had 144 views so there are lot who haven't voted yet. Please do!

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 03-01-2006, 03:19 AM   #13

Hey George,

This is a great idea. I am AD and looking forward to retirement in the next year or two, then hitting the road FT. There are many confusing issues with Tricare and constant changes to benefits that many can be helped by getting timely info from other RV military folks.

Not to forget sharing the skinny on where the best Chief's clubs are!

Former MKC, now CWO2, USCG (Sold out for the money).
Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ann & Tom welcome to IRV2
Thanks for joining in this post and join in many of the others. The more people are active the better for irv2. Thanks again for your response . "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote