Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
After many concerns about our old Java based chat room software and problems that members have had logging in since the latest round of Security updates to browsers, we are going to be changing our chat rooms to a new software platform.

Look for this change in the next day or two and bear with us as we get the new chat configured to meet our needs. The new software should have a few more features and be more accessible for most members
Janet, any news on progress? I have had to update Java 2X since this announcement.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Bill, I have found through trial and error that whatever version of Java that you have needs to be uninstalled 1st and your system rebooted. Go to the control panel; "Programs and Features" look for Java. Right click - "Uninstall"

I use Norton 360 which allows me to scan the registry for errors and anomalies. So far so good with the current version of N360.

Next - Go to java.com

Click on the big red button to install the latest version of Java.

Once the process is completed, go back to the Java site and test your Java. What you need to see is that it past the audition!

Comon' back to iRV2 and see if you can get in the Chat Room.

What I have seen in the past is that when I just allowed the Java updater to uninstall and re-install Java in the same session for whatever reason it didn't go by cleanly and I remained unable to access the Chat Room.

It's working now BUT I bet that the application provider will update the Java requirement and we'll probably have to go through the process again to get the latest supported version.
Thanks for the additional info. Still having issues getting into chat but at least I now know I am not losing my mind....or am I ?

Old 11-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any new updates. Many people are having problems getting into the irv2 chat rooms and many have just given up all together??
Many are scared to download the latest JAVA which may stop the chat room completely.
Its slowly killing what is in effect probably one of the longest surviving RV chat lines, since it started in 1995.
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #32

would love to join the chat but cant always have issues trying so gave up also....Make it work and I will join in
Old 11-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #33
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What was originally announced last April didn't work. The vendor for the current chat is trying to solve the problem. We can't seem to find the bug. In the meantime, we're searching a new chat vendor...see THIS THREAD, Andy's post #15 for the most recent update.

Some members have had luck NOT allowing the JAVA update & then being sure the security stays at Medium.

We know you all are frustrated with the problems. We are too. We need to get our chat rooms going again as they are (were) one of our best amenities.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #34

what happenedd?? Still the same old mess?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #35

Mid Atlantic Campers
Even putting the chat room URLs in the Java exception list does not work. Fortunately I still have one computer with a very old version of Java so I can still get in. But once in, there are very few folks there anymore. Chat is all but DEAD!
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:32 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Could always go this route for your chat setup .

irc server and web irc-client for debian - Server Fault
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I have responded to some folks who reached out to me about this. To those who I did not response, my apologies. I have been busy dealing with some other issues that took precedence. It's my understanding that the chats were attended by some 20-30 folks a few times a week. They cost a considerable amount to maintain (we license professional software and have to pay for programmers to install it). We have this same issue on other forums we manage and have been trying to find a solution but nothing has been a well rounded solution. Some are Flash based which do not work on many mobiles. Others do not integrate with our user/database system.

The Java issues are a real shame and are effecting many sites (not just chat either). I know Java uploader features on many sites are now breaking.

I think we should consider hosting the weekly chats using a Google Hangout. Most everyone is going to have a Google account so if we just setup the hangout to recur each week and then post the link everyone should be able to login. Then support can be provided by Google.

I'm open to other suggestions. RedneckExpress we could setup an IRC chat but I think that would be too complex for most users to figure out and thus limit attendees. Once again, I think the effort vs reward would fall short of being able to justify things.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #38

Andy,

I think we all understand how corrupted Java is these days, and any programs which rely on it. It has had a significant impact on chat on irv2. There is still a loyal, yet frustrated, group of chatters which have managed to stay on chat (those who have not upgraded beyond Java 7.0).

What would be good is if there was more information posted on Google Hangout so chatters might be able to determine if it would work for them. I have never heard of it, but I will 'google' it to learn more about it.

There were a few chatters last night on Petro's Freightliner Chat, and there was discussion on your post regarding this issue. We're all in a learning stage.

Thanks for listening and making a suggestion on a path forward. Maybe others will chime in on their suggestions on your comments.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #39
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Andy;

Thanks for taking the time to respond in this thread. The options that you spoke of are unfamiliar to most of us. We would hope you could analyze the best option and help us work through the selection. I have put a lot of time in building up the Winnebago & Freightliner Chats over the past years on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and it has nearly broken my heart to see the chat rooms dropping off drastically due to the Java problem. I know if we can get something going again we can build it back up.

Thanks again;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #40

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I have responded to some folks who reached out to me about this. To those who I did not response, my apologies. I have been busy dealing with some other issues that took precedence. It's my understanding that the chats were attended by some 20-30 folks a few times a week. They cost a considerable amount to maintain (we license professional software and have to pay for programmers to install it). We have this same issue on other forums we manage and have been trying to find a solution but nothing has been a well rounded solution. Some are Flash based which do not work on many mobiles. Others do not integrate with our user/database system.

The Java issues are a real shame and are effecting many sites (not just chat either). I know Java uploader features on many sites are now breaking.

I think we should consider hosting the weekly chats using a Google Hangout. Most everyone is going to have a Google account so if we just setup the hangout to recur each week and then post the link everyone should be able to login. Then support can be provided by Google.

I'm open to other suggestions. RedneckExpress we could setup an IRC chat but I think that would be too complex for most users to figure out and thus limit attendees. Once again, I think the effort vs reward would fall short of being able to justify things.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
First of all - the problems are not caused by Java. The problems are caused by AddOnChat not being Java compliant and having an expired security certificate. If they would upgrade the problems would disappear.

I did some brief investigation into Google Hangout. I'm not sure it will work. One problem is we will lose our iRV2 screen names, which we all know. I'm not saying it won't work, but I have serious doubts.

Bill Rowell originally added chat to iRV2 at my request, along with a few others that came to iRV2 from Prodigy. Back in the day there were many attendees with 20+ alone in the Fireside room each Wednesday. As other rooms were added more people attended on various nights.

The National Rally idea was spawned out of chat as we got to know each other and wanted to meet in person. I even hosted live chat on Wednesday night from the 2005 National Rally in Lancaster, PA and from the Branson Rally at ABC in (I believe) 2007.

Let's see if we can get iRV2 Chat back and functioning. I am sure it will grow if it works.

If you need or want assistance I am happy to help with resolving the issues with the vendor.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
HI,

Can you use FLASH instead of Java to fix the problem? A lot of the IRV2 Chatters went to another website and are getting in using FLASH as I did today. Like Petro stated he put a lot of time into these chat rooms and IRV2 should do whatever it takes to fix the chat rooms NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote